jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (15 posts)

Thanksgiving food traditions

1. Dolores Monet profile image91
    Dolores Monetposted 6 years ago

Do you have a special food item that you serve (or like to eat) at Thanksgiving? Let's share some of our personal Thanksgiving eats!

1. Jane@CM profile image61
      Jane@CMposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Soon, we should receive a package in the mail - home made lefsa from my MIL.  Lefsa is my hubby & kids personal favorite.

Me, I just eat..its all good! smile

2. 0
      cosetteposted 6 years ago in reply to this

i make homemade cranberry sauce. just stick a bag of cranberries in a big saucepan with 1/4 cup of sugar (the bag says use one cup, but that is way too sweet) and half a cup of water. add some fresh orange zest and let it simmer until all the little cranberries pop. omgsh it is so good, and so pretty. you will never eat canned again!

3. Lyria profile image61
      Lyriaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

My husband and I go to his 75 yr old aunt's house (Aunt Fran). She cooks the whole dinner for about 25 people every year with some help from the family. Very traditional dinner, turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, bean casserole, homemade bread, salad. For dessert another aunt brings homemade pies and pastry puffs for the kids. I don't know what I'm going to do this year because I've gone vegan...I guess I'll be eating a lot of mashed of potatoes!

4. bukan profile image61
      bukanposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yes i have my own dish, i like to eat and love to make 'Masala Dhosa" (South Indian Dish)
      and the "Karai Paneer" (Indian Dish) smile

2. Dolores Monet profile image91
    Dolores Monetposted 6 years ago

Our new favorite is turkey beans. Several years ago, my son made the turkey but had nothing to sit the turkey on so he set the bird on a pile of beans. We ate the beans. Boy, were they good. Now, every year, everyone reminds him to make turkey beans.

1. 0
      cosetteposted 6 years ago in reply to this

hmm. sounds savory and full of flavor. interesting.

another dish i like to make is dressing...nothihg special but i add a whole diced apple to it. it just makes it taste better!

3. rmcrayne profile image94
    rmcrayneposted 6 years ago

Delores are you saying the bird is cooked on top of the beans, so that all the fat and juices cook through?  I could see where the beans would then be yummy. 

One of my favorites at T'giving is baked mac and cheese.  It's "expected" that I bring this to any covered dish or other holiday meals I'm invited to.  I wrote a HubMob hub with the recipes of my mom's family feast,including a recipe for the mac and cheese. 

http://hubpages.com/hub/Thanksgiving-So … mily-Feast

I think Money Glitch also wrote a hub on her family food traditions.

4. Jonathan Janco profile image81
    Jonathan Jancoposted 6 years ago

Used to do the whole thing at my grandparents' house. Turkey, stuffin, potatoes and more stuffing! But in the last few years, we've splintered off because the family gets bigger and bigger. Now it's at Wolfgang's, where my flashy uncle likes to shove a beer in my face every ten minutes. I usually end up ducking out early and wandering around Manhattan for about five hours. That's the thing about mixing steak and Guiness, you have to walk it off or you'll suffer from iron intoxication. Learned that the hard way. Amazing steak, though!

5. fishtiger58 profile image81
    fishtiger58posted 6 years ago

Homemade caramel rolls. If we don't have them my niece will die.

6. cocopreme profile image89
    cocopremeposted 6 years ago

My dad makes awesome dressing. I usually eat a whole panful by myself over Thanksgiving weekend.  I also love mashed potatoes with mounds of butter melted in the middle.  Mac and cheese and rolls are also on my list of tops.

7. KCC Big Country profile image83
    KCC Big Countryposted 6 years ago

Everyone expects me to bring my corn casserole.  I have a hub that includes the simple recipe.  I also have a great Oatmeal Pie recipe that's basically Pecan Pie without the pecans.  The link for it is found in this same hub.

Great Recipes for Thanksgiving and Christmas

8. ediggity profile image60
    ediggityposted 6 years ago

Yams with the marsh mellows on top.  Honey baked Ham.  Crunchy green bean casserole.

9. RedSonja94 profile image62
    RedSonja94posted 6 years ago

My grandma used to do the whole thing for about 35 people but she can't do it anymore so each family has thier own Thanksgiving feast.  Mine is done the same way Grandma did hers.  I love using all her recipes and making everything from scratch like she did.  It is really an awesome time for my family.  I also have my mom and dad come over for dinner after mom gets out of work.  We have turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, cranberry sauce, olives, homemade rolls, pumpkin and blueberry pies.  It really is great!

10. Lisa HW profile image84
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

We have the whole, usual, thing; but the one somewhat odd thing is that I make potato stuffing (which my mother always did, and which, to me, is a must on Thanksgiving), even though we also have bread stuffing.  The men usually end up having stuffing, stuffing, and then plain mashed potatoes - for starters.