jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (12 posts)

Hubpage Chat

1. Rudra profile image57
    Rudraposted 8 years ago

How about a Chat box where hubbers can enter and chat to each other.

1. Peter M. Lopez profile image92
      Peter M. Lopezposted 8 years ago in reply to this

I think if the Forums were used more frequently and by more people, perhaps. 

So, in other words, when everyone else who doesn't ignore their job, family, responsibilities, etc. to hang out here starts doing so, then maybe.  Real slackers only!

2. 59
    broalexposted 8 years ago

That would be great Rudra , I don`t know the reason why there isn`t one yet but maybe for the future lets hope , I started to enjoy my time here , and also have some favorite hubbers big_smile ... A chat implemented on this forum would be great ! big_smile big_smile big_smile

3. Stacie Naczelnik profile image87
    Stacie Naczelnikposted 8 years ago
  4. bloggerdollar profile image45
    bloggerdollarposted 8 years ago

I guess a general chat room just for Hubbers would be cool. We would have the feeling of good old IRC times.

Forums are doing great for detailed topics the chat room would be for general chat and ugly discussions only smile

5. sevenGEIN profile image62
    sevenGEINposted 8 years ago

Well HubPages is for hubbing, not chatting, really. So to have a chat would really distract people from the point of this site.

1. darkside profile image84
      darksideposted 8 years ago in reply to this

That's pretty much it.

One would think that HubPages Inc wants their awesome stable of authors to write stuff that others want to read. And to an extent the forum also falls in line with that. We help each other learn. In ways that they couldn't hope to service the community.

The threads themselves, even the off-topic ones will get indexed by Search Engines. And draw more traffic.

And chat room... is junk food. It's fun at the time, but afterwards you probably were better off without it.

It would waste peoples time. And chatting is driven by emotion. It's a breeding ground for drama. More so than what a forum can be. And it can have consequences. Ugly consequences.

So I highly doubt that a chat room would be a priority for a service such as HubPages. And I can say without a doubt that if there were one I'd avoid it.

6. elisabeth reid profile image78
    elisabeth reidposted 8 years ago

I prefer the forum format.  It gives people a chance to think before they 'speak'.  In my experience, chat tends to become one (or more) of the following:

1. Empty space because people forget about it or are available at different times during the day.
    2. A perfect breeding ground for flame wars and dissent.
    3. A cyber meat-market where people use the cloak of anonymity to....*ahem*...let their hair down and say things that tend to get them in trouble.
    4. Encourages the formation of cliques and the propogation of middle-school-esque drama.

and, in this particular case...

5. Could distract hubbers from the purpose of this site.

IMO, anyway. 

Just my http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/225346/2/istockphoto_225346_give_your_two_cents_worth.jpg

7. darkside profile image84
    darksideposted 8 years ago

I should have just quoted Elisabeth Reid and said "In concur" big_smile

8. bloggerdollar profile image45
    bloggerdollarposted 8 years ago

Are we carrying a secret mission of writing??

Why should chatting be considered as waste of time I couldn't understand. Even though everybody is free to concentrate on their writings or just come and have some fun as most hubbers already do on forums.

9. ysdata profile image58
    ysdataposted 8 years ago

Forum post show up in search, I don't like the chats will.

10. Betty Jo Petty profile image59
    Betty Jo Pettyposted 8 years ago

I don't have much experience, but I have seen people get into some pretty bad arguments, even just on threads.

You can always bow out. 

I guess if you want to chat, just do it. 

You can always contact others through their own profile.

I see nothing wrong if people want to keep it under control.  The wrong word at the wrong time or place can ignite, though.

That's my opinion.  Betty Jo