jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

When you read the comics silently to yourself.....

1. SandyMcCollum profile image86
    SandyMcCollumposted 6 years ago

When you read the comics silently to yourself, do the characters all have their own voice, or are they all your voice? Just curious....

2. Lisa HW profile image82
    Lisa HWposted 6 years ago

I have a real challenge getting what's going on in comics, because I'm so verbal and so "non-visual" when it comes to processing information.  If I'm going to get what's going on in a comic strip, I have to do this:  "Ok, so the cat is carrying his dinner to the table.  He's thinking, 'bla bla bla'.  Ok, now the mouse is looking at the cat."  This kind of "studying" and "analyzing" is so much work it's a miracle if I have the energy to do a "Heh heh" at the end - but all the "analyzing" of what each picture is is always in my own voice.  lol

3. Sally's Trove profile image99
    Sally's Troveposted 6 years ago

When it's a cartoon that winds up tickling my fancy or making me laugh, I recognize instantly that the artist has touched a place in me that we both share.  In that respect, the artist and I share a synchronicity, although the voices we use may be very different.

4. Valerie F profile image61
    Valerie Fposted 6 years ago

It's no different than when I read any other book. If a character is written well, I do not read that character with my own voice.

5. torimari profile image79
    torimariposted 6 years ago

With book or comic, I give them all their own voice. I get really annoyed when I can't formulate an appropriate one or feel the voices are distinct enough.

For example, if people could hear an audio version from my brain of LOTR I'm sure it would be pretty epic...I think I spend so much time defining their voices it would just be that awesome.

6. 0
    Justine76posted 6 years ago

no really, I dont hear voices..

7. SandyMcCollum profile image86
    SandyMcCollumposted 6 years ago

Thanks everyone! Interesting to see how ppl process things.

8. JaShinYa profile image60
    JaShinYaposted 6 years ago

I think I've always given voices to any character in something I'm reading. It's just that now, since I've gotten into pro voice overs, I start thinking about the voices and even try them out!