jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (10 posts)

News Feed

1. Inspirepub profile image87
    Inspirepubposted 9 years ago

I have been having trouble getting useful material in News feeds.

If I put in one of my tags, I usually get irrelevant stories mixed in with the relevant ones. If I narrow it right down to something I know will produce relevant results, I then get three versions of the same story on three different websites, but word for word the same story, just syndicated in three different places.

Could we have some way to pick and choose the news stories the way we can pick and choose the links in a link capsule?

Either that or a more intelligent search algorithm that eliminates dupliate pages.

Jenny

1. elisabeth reid profile image76
      elisabeth reidposted 9 years ago in reply to this

I have a hard time getting that one to work, too.  I'll get it figured out one of these days, though.

Maybe.

I hope.

Hmmmmm....

2. Mark Knowles profile image60
    Mark Knowlesposted 9 years ago

Us the RSS capsule instead.

Inspirepubposted 9 years ago in reply to this

Interesting.

I can think of ways to use the RSS capsule if I wanted to follow a particular newspaper or journalist (or blogger or article writer), but how would it work to find news stories on a particular topic?

Jenny

3. Mark Knowles profile image60

Most of the feeds are subject specific further into the site. So you could find a feed that was:

http://xyznewspaper/politics/usa

for example

Inspirepubposted 9 years ago in reply to this

I'll have to do some hunting. I haven't had much luck with finding my topics as subheadings in major article directories and places like Newsvine - the lowest level subheadings are still very broad and therefore give lots of off-topic results.

For example, if I want stories about kids under 18 who are in business. I can find "business", and then it breaks into types of business, or I can go with "family/parenting/tweens" and get articles about long car trips and ADD mixed in with the occasional one that I want.

I am thinking that I might have to just use a google alert and put them in as links, but that's static, unfortunately.

I'll see what I can find - maybe a parenting publication out there might have a "money" subtopic feed, or vice versa ... I can but hope ...

Thanks for the tip.

Jenny

4. Mark Knowles profile image60

LOL - Well, you know my opinion on encouraging children to set up a business, so I can't tell you where to find a feed that might suit I'm afraid. smile

5. profile image0
    simcoposted 9 years ago

Jenny

Hope this is of use.....

http://www.rss-info.com/en_rssinclude.html

Paul.

6. Inspirepub profile image87
    Inspirepubposted 9 years ago

Thanks, Paul, but the RSS feeder software is already built in to HubPages. It's the appropriate, relevant feed source I'm having trouble finding.

Yes, Mark, I didn't expect you to have a kids-in-business news feed bookmarked!

If you come across a decent one on Witchcraft or Body Jewellery, though, give me a heads-up, won't you? wink

Jenny

7. Mark Knowles profile image60

http://www.reuters.com/tools/rss

I often look here, but these may be a little esoteric for them smile

working