jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (12 posts)

Google working to eliminate scam affiliate ads

1. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 6 years ago

Google is often considered a leader in online advertising, and now it seems they are working to be the first to comprehensively ban scam affiliate advertising.

So, keep your eye on those ads that come up on your Hubs and see if they start to change over the next few weeks and months.

Google Does Non-Evil Thing: Bans White Teeth, Flat Stomachs

1. lakeerieartists profile image80
      lakeerieartistsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thank you for banning these gross, gross ads.  I hate seeing them.

2. 0
      BookFlameposted 6 years ago in reply to this

What a mess.  But those people are creeps.

2. wyanjen profile image87
    wyanjenposted 6 years ago

Holy cow.
    What a great article, thanks for the link.

Google has so much influence, it will be interesting to see what impact their program may have in other media.

3. Dale Mazurek profile image58
    Dale Mazurekposted 6 years ago

As an affiliate marketer that is great news.  its those dam scam artists that make life tough for the honest guys.

This is definatly a step in the right direction

4. darkside profile image83
    darksideposted 6 years ago

Go Google!

5. sunforged profile image69
    sunforgedposted 6 years ago

Its funny, but the ads they directly reference in the article "white teeth" "diet ***" and "flat stomachs" are exactly the same ones that Hubpages are serving all over our pages on their MSN ads share.

hopefully, the other publishers will follow suit

6. MikeNV profile image74
    MikeNVposted 6 years ago

In theory this is something that should benefit everyone.  The problem is that in practice Google is a "do what I say not what I do" company.

For them to determine what is or is not a scam is highly unethical and hypocritical.  Because they stand to profit by censoring ads for their own benefit.

One must remember Google is a for profit company who answers only to shareholders.

I know of plenty of examples of unethical behavior that Google is aware of that they simply turn their backs to because they profit from it.

Scams are bad, I am very much for cleaning up the internet, but hypocritical self-regulation is just a PR move.

Why does Google allow advertising from Adult Companies then ban sites that have adult content from their Adsense program?

If you trust Google to "Do the right thing" for the right reasons then your have misguided trust.

1. easyspeak profile image79
      easyspeakposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I trust them to do the right thing...

7. RedElf profile image86
    RedElfposted 6 years ago

You're right, Mike, and we should not lose sight of that, but at least this time, they seem to be on the side of the angels - Yay! and thanks relache!

8. Rebecca E. profile image89
    Rebecca E.posted 6 years ago

very interesting read thanks for the link relache

9. Ivorwen profile image83
    Ivorwenposted 6 years ago

I wondered where they had all gone to!  So glad they are missing. smile