Add Dropdown Box of Hubs In the Links Capsule Like the Text Capsule

Jump to Last Post 1-31 of 31 discussions (41 posts)
  1. KCC Big Country profile image85
    KCC Big Countryposted 14 years ago

I noticed that we were recently given a neat feature when including links within a text capsule where we now have a dropdown box of all our published hubs to chose from besides being able to put in an outside URL.  This is extremely handy.

However, I wondered if it would be possible to provide the same type of dropdown box of our hubs when we're in the Link Capsule as well. 

For instance, here at Christmas I want to provide a number of links to my other Christmas hubs.  It takes quite a bit of time cutting and pasting URLs into the links capsule.

I apologize if this has been addressed already in another forum.  If it has, can someone please provide the link? I did try to look before opening this thread.

1. Jane@CM profile image60
      Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Awesome idea!

On your other post, I like to use the link after the article, personal preference.  Plus I hate having so many hubs open to copy & paste URLs!

2. KCC Big Country profile image85

(Bump)

3. wrenfrost56 profile image57
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

I second that! smile It would save so much time!

4. KCC Big Country profile image85

Without more feedback on this, I don't know if it's just something no one else has thought about, or they know of another way around it, or maybe they just don't use it.

5. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
    mistyhorizon2003posted 14 years ago

I thought this would be a good idea too, but never voiced it. Nice to see you have though KCC, it would make life a whole lot easier I agree smile

6. KCC Big Country profile image85

Thanks Mistyhorizon....it's certainly not getting much attention by other hubbers or the HP staff.......or, if they have they haven't said anything.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think it's a great idea~~ lots of people busy this weekend.
      HP staff may be off today.

7. KCC Big Country profile image85

I posted this 3 days ago....but....still it was pre-holiday and just as hectic I guess with Ryan's last day.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

oh, yes.. possibly partying or too busy chasing down the forum spammers and tread hi-jackers in the religion forum. hmm

8. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88

Still think this would be a great idea and am surprised Hubpages staff have not commented on this!!!

9. KCC Big Country profile image85

Thanks Mistyhorizon.....I think it's a brilliant idea...LOL

10. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88

Perhaps they will now notice this thread and see the wisdom of the suggestion !!

11. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

Yes, this has been on my wish list for a while too.

1. mel22 profile image61
      mel22posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, it is Christmas you know, maybe the Staff will listen to the wish list finally !

12. Jeffrey Neal profile image69
    Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years ago

I give my vote for this addition as well.

13. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88

Hooray, at last this thread is getting some good feedback rather than vanishing into oblivion smile

14. travelespresso profile image70
    travelespressoposted 14 years ago

This feature would be excellent and used regularly.  I heartily endorse your suggestion.

15. Beth100 profile image71
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

This is an ideal suggestion that would cut down time with the cut and paste technique.  I find the link capsule is cumbersome due to this.

16. dohn121 profile image83
    dohn121posted 14 years ago

Thumbs up on this idea.

17. VacationAustralia profile image67
    VacationAustraliaposted 14 years ago

Nice idea. smile

18. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88

Hope the team listen in and act on this smile

1. travelespresso profile image70
      travelespressoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It would be a great feature to have.  Thanks for raising it.

19. RedElf profile image89
    RedElfposted 14 years ago

That's a great idea, KCC - would save much time!
    smile

20. KCC Big Country profile image85

Finally, someone's noticing the thread....LOL   Thanks guys and gals!

21. travelespresso profile image70

KCC - I'm amazed this is not getting much more traction - perhaps people are too busy being followers rather than leaders!!  LOL

1. Jeffrey Neal profile image69
      Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol Good one!

1. travelespresso profile image70
        travelespressoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Glad you like it!

22. KCC Big Country profile image85

I wonder if someone can tell me.....does it matter, or is there an advantage to one way over the other.....whether you provide a link to another hub within your text boxes versus providing a link to one of your hubs in the link capsule?

Let's same I'm talking about Christmas light displays and in the text I mention something about the lights being LED lights.  Well, I have a hub about LED Christmas Lights.  Is it more advantageous for me to drop my link on the highlighted text "LED lights" with the text or wait until I finish my article and have a link capsule with a link to the LED hub?

In my opinion, it seems like it would be better to have it in the links capsule after your article.  I personally want to finish reading an article before I start clicking off to go somewhere else.  So, for me, I would possibly forget to go back and click on highlighted links. 

What do you think?  Or are there stats on this behavior pattern? Or SEO/backlink thoughts on this?

By HubPages adding the dropdown box to the text capsule rather than the links capsule instead of having it on both makes me think someone believes that it's better to put your links to your own hubs within the text capsule rather than the links capsule.   I guess I'm just wondering why since I do a little of both, but really lean towards doing it much more often in the links capsule.

23. Beth100 profile image71
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

I have done both whereby I text link to my own hubs and to other hubbbers' hubs.  I generally use the link capsule for off site links.  Personally, I like the text links as I will read the article first, and then go back and click on the text link.  This provides the context of the link for me. 

The advantage of the link capsule is that you have an opportunity to see a small excerpt of where and what you are linking to.  It also allows easy editing.

24. Zsuzsy Bee profile image85
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 14 years ago

nice idea...it would come in handy that's for sure

25. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 14 years ago

As much as this would be handy, I also see this feature facilitating the creation of those endless photo hubs, many of which are light on content and heavy on links back to the author's other photo hubs.

I can't support the creation of any features that make it easier to crank out Hubs of low value.  I think it's worth having to do the work to add links just to slow down the substandard Hub creators.

KCC Big Countryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I understand where you're coming from and I agree, but didn't we just give them that ability by adding the drop down box in the text capsule?  I'm just saying that if we have that option in the text capsule, can we also have it in the links capsule?

Obviously, I'll survive and it's really only a factor when I write a series of hubs that I want to link together, like Christmas for instance.

26. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 14 years ago

Yea, I think I've suggested something like that a while back.. Never got anywhere with it. Mine was more to just copy link capsules so that you don't have to go and copy paste links and captions. I don't care how it's done, I'd just like to make that easier; choosing the tracker and whatnot all included.

But, like relache said, it could easily be abused.

KCC Big Countryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Copying a capsule would help too.

1. Whitney05 profile image83
        Whitney05posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yea, and you'd only need to alter one link, adding the hub link and a caption from the hub you copied the capsule from initially. I do think this is a great potential feature on series and related topics, but I don't necessarily see it happening.

I've given up linking too many hubs from a series. I tried linking my Xmas ones but gave up. Took too much time.

You can do a search for hubs on hubpages in the link capsule, but you still have to add the tracker.

27. travelespresso profile image70

I think it looks nice when you link within a text article.  However I find it distracts from the body of the aritlce because when I'm reading them I keep thinking "I want to go off and check that out - hope I don't forget" and other mindless games.
    So, when I'm writing mine, I use the capsule feature - which is awesome - but I like the changes you've suggested KCC.

28. Lily Rose profile image85
    Lily Roseposted 14 years ago

I am in complete agreement - either add the drop-down in the links capsule or give us the ability to copy and paste an already used links capsule (of our own).  I have been thinking about this for a while, but never suggested it here - I'm glad someone did.

I looks like no one from HP has taken a look at this thread yet, though!

29. travelespresso profile image70

That's another good suggestion Lily Rose.
    I write my hubs in word and so I've found the easiest way to reference them is to open the word doc and then copy the pre-saved link into my new hub.  It's still cumbersome but less so than going back to "my account" with all the opening and closing that entails.
    I would be interested to hear how others do it.

30. word_power76 profile image61
    word_power76posted 14 years ago

Nice feature. Didnt know about it. Thanks,

31. mel22 profile image61
    mel22posted 14 years ago

I suppose just using the GROUP feature does the same thing albeit not in the body of the text.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)