jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (9 posts)

WooHoo! Just posted my first hub that uses pics, amazon and ebay!

1. ThoughtfulSpot profile image82
    ThoughtfulSpotposted 7 years ago

Hi all! I'm fairly new around here, and I tend to be one who learns by doing rather than reading.  So, after going over and over some tips on publishing, I decided to try and put it to use and do some experimenting.

Since this is my first "instructional" hub, and also my first attempts at using a number of settings, I would really appreciate some feedback.

I'd love your thoughts on the format, the overall look, and even your opinions on my writing style... or whatever else you have the time for.

Thanks very much!

http://hubpages.com/hub/Refinishing-a-Tile-Floor

1. 0
      Nelle Hoxieposted 7 years ago

Great instructional "How to Hub." The only thing I would suggest is to run your product capsules beside your text capsules instead of below.

ThoughtfulSpotposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Thanks.  That's actually something I'm having trouble with.  I can't seem to get them formatted that way.  Is is just a matter of dragging the capsules, or is there something I'm missing?

1. 0
          Nelle Hoxieposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Use the little horizontal arrow in the top of the capsule. First arrange your capsules. Put the one you want to the right on top, put the one you want on the left just below. Then click the arrow pointing to the right in the top box and it should work. You get the idea. Play with the arrows. There's a reason I don't write instructional hubs, I'm not a ver good teacher. But this is the general strategy.

The explanation was just fine, thanks! I hadn't played with those arrows yet.

2. lrohner profile image85
          lrohnerposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Put the Amazon/eBay capsule above the text capsule, and then click the right arrow on the upper-right corner of the Amazon/eBay capsule.

Thank you! I'm going to play with this on my lunch break!

2. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago

More suggestions:

Move your first photo down.  The top right hand corner is the best earning spot for an ad.  If you're not signed up for Adsense, you could put an eBay or Amazon capsule there - if you are signed up for Adsense, make your first text capsule just long enough so an ad shows up in that spot.

You have "source: flickr.com" in the caption of your photo.  That's not nearly enough.  You MUST credit the person who took the photo by having a hyperlink to their Flickr Photostream in your Hub.  You can't do it in the caption because you can't create a hyperlink there.  I usually do it at the end of the Hub (e.g. photo of... with thanks to ....). 

I hope you did an Advanced Search on Flickr and checked "Creative commons" and "for commercial use" to find the photo.  You can't just use any photo on Flickr, just like you can use just any photo anywhere else on the net.  Photos are copyright unless they specifically state otherwise.

working