jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Deleting Old Hubs or Hubs with low scores

1. runsrealfast profile image82
    runsrealfastposted 9 years ago

So I have a couple of Hubs where the score is lower than I would desire. Rather than send time improving the hub I thought I would just delete it. (I have one that is basically just a list of the NFL power rankings). My question is this. What is the affect of lowering "bad scoring" hubs or really old hubs. Can/does it affect your overall hub score?

Thanks

John

1. LdsNana-AskMormon profile image89
      LdsNana-AskMormonposted 9 years ago in reply to this

John -

thank you for asking questions that were also praying on my mind.
      Kathryn

2. pauldeeds profile image
    pauldeedsposted 9 years ago

Unless you just aren't proud of the hub and don't want to be associated with it, I would not recommend deleting any hubs.  You just never know when a languishing hub might start getting traffic.

If the hub has a score below 50, it's possible that unpublishing will help your Hubber score.  Otherwise, I wouldn't expect to see any significant change.

Paul,

Thank you for answering this question, with such a powerful way to distinguish and honor, those things which many of us passionately feel about that which we write.

Very wise counsel.  You show integrity and understanding for individuals, versus traffic...
      tDMg
      LdsNana-AskMormon

My only waning question (i think:-)  if a Hub has been penalized ONCE, and fights its little way back up...  CAN it be then 'flagged' and penalized a SECOND time, etc...  This happened to one of my Hubs in a less than two week period.... 

How does this work and what suggestions would you give on these circumstances?

Thanks,
      tDMg
      LdsNana-AskMormon

1. pauldeeds profile image
        pauldeedsposted 9 years ago in reply to this

Since hubs can be changed by the author at any time, we do periodically recheck them for duplicate content.  Any hub that is duplicated (or violates our rules in any other way) can be unpublished or penalized at any time.  However, if a penalty is cleared there are no long term lasting effects.

Paul,

Thank you.  That is a 'fair' response.  Most appreciated right now.   

Do you log, changes of a Hub to verify this to be true?  More for those that have not been changed.  I did make changes in the one that has been flagged twice, but funny that I added MORE original content to be in compliance and yet it was flagged again. 

Sorry for the questions.  But I am compelled to understand, so that in the future I will not need to come down here, for answers all the time.   I am assuming that someone of my two months here, should know a bit more by now...

I will work harder to understand the system in place currently.  I still wish that all that which can affect, even for a short time, our Hubs score... would be  made visible.

Why is this not so... as with digg or stumble upon, etc....  I really believe that intergity is then maintained and we would not be able to be suspect of one another, for which I greatly apologize.  Although, I do  not feel to have been off the mark.

I know we disagree on this.  Again, thank you for taking the time to clarify and I will do my best to comply.

Kathryn

3. jimmythejock profile image83
    jimmythejockposted 9 years ago

I have deleted a few hubs in the past but I will refrain from doing so now, one of my hubs that was losing readership on a daily basis was featured on Yahoo a couple of days ago and recieved over 10000 visitors that same day.....jimmy
    check out this forum thread for more info...  http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/2769

4. singingmommy profile image75
    singingmommyposted 9 years ago

I've only deleted one hub and it brought my hubscore up three points.

jimmythejock, that was a pretty amazing about your feature on yahoo, congrats:.)

A fellow songwriter pushed one of his songs for 15 years. He never ditched it because he believed in it, then it made # 1 on the charts.

5. pauldeeds profile image
    pauldeedsposted 9 years ago

Each time we run a duplicate content check, we choose different sections of the text to check at random.  This means that two tests will almost never be exactly the same (even if the underlying text hasn't changed at all).  It also means that the testing process isn't perfect.  For that reason we've built the test to try and err on the side of not penalizing hubs falsely.  The down side of that is that means that many hubs that actually are duplicated are probably slipping through the cracks.

It sounds to me like you just got less lucky the second time your hub was tested (even though you actually added more original content).  The safest thing is to have all original content.

working