delete your hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (22 posts)
  1. janiek13 profile image76
    janiek13posted 14 years ago

I have read many, ( a zillion) hubs in the last month or so and some of them mention the removal of non productive hubs. Could you add a section that we could put these hubs, like an inactive section, but still keep them? I am unwilling to delete any of my hubs, good or bad.

1. AEvans profile image73
      AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My recommendation is , just unpublish them and revise at a later date sometimes based on the season they somehow manage to come up out of the ashes. smile

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why would you even unpublish them - that just guarantees they won't go anywhere!  Just leave them to mature while you learn how to improve them.

2. lrohner profile image67
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

Instead of deleting or deactivating them, why don't you work on finding out what the problem is and tweaking the hub? Just a suggestion...  smile

3. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

For the life in me, I don't get this need to delete or unpublish hubs. As lrohner said, make them better or just let them sit there. Sometimes it does take a while for a hub (or webpage) to come to life. A lot of ranking on the internet is about your competition. Adding some backlinks can work wonders. Or write a few more similar hubs and link them together or put them in a group.

Although I can understand deleting a hub if you wrote about something very personal and now wish you hadn't.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

I agree - I've noticed a trend in newbie Hubbers to publish Hubs, leave them up for a few days or a few weeks, then delete them.   Is it the Y generation instant gratification thing?

For someone who's only been here 5 weeks to even consider deleting anything is mad - it's months too soon to decide whether they're going to perform or not.

4. Ladybird33 profile image65
    Ladybird33posted 14 years ago

What I have learned over the last six months, is let your hubs be out there for a couple of months then if they aren't doing as well, update, tweak and then republish.  This has helped me a lot, in fact, some of the ones I have tweaked are doing great.  It's about improvement to me...good luck to all

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i concur!

5. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

Just write the best hub you can, publish and leave it alone. Then write another one and try and make it better. After about 8 months to a year, you might have enough data, to start to know how to change stuff.

Things just don't ripen that quickly on the internet these days. If you keep unpublishing, tweaking and otherwise rewriting, you'll never really know what is working.

I've written 250 hubs in 9 months. I have barely rewritten or tweaked one of them! I'm starting to get a feel for what does work on Hubpages. Just because my titles look the same to you, don't assume the product hubs are the same - they aren't. There's a whole bunch of different lengths and product densities and product placements. In about six months, I'll have a real idea of what works - and what doesn't.

Hubpages is just a part of the experiment I've got about a dozen new sites and lots more older sites percolating and working away. Please you gotta give things more than a few weeks or even months.

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think that describes the process I have seen here since I began. smile

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

This is excellent advice. I've seen several Hubbers (BadCo are you listening) who've written Hubs, deleted them, republished others, deleted them, over and over, sometimes on several different accounts.  Even if you decide to change direction, what's the harm in leaving what you've already done alone?  You never know, it might surprise you a few months down the track.

6. Leon O. profile image61
    Leon O.posted 14 years ago

I am brand new here practically.  Why is it not recommended to edit your hubs?  I edit my writing constantly. I enjoy editing, it makes my writing better and stronger. I learn a lot from my editing.

Does hub editing affect its ratings? Also, how concerned should I be with ratings?

1. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It isn't "not recommended."  Most of the people on this site do edit, revise and otherwise improve their hubs.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86

Leon, I wouldn't say it's "not recommended". It's just not the most productive thing to do. A lot of people write a Hub, think it's not performing well, try editing it to see if it gets better (it doesn't), tweak it again... and so on. As Nelle said, that's a big time waster because they're trying to get results in too short a time frame.  You need to give your Hubs several months before you decide they're not working.

On the other hand, I've tweaked all of my Hubs several times.   The difference is, my edits weren't in response to perceived poor traffic. I went back to edit whenever I learned something new on HubPages - how to improve my layout, the importance of the summary, the advantages of having Youtube clips etc.  I think that's an important thing to do.

1. Sue Adams profile image95
        Sue Adamsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Marisa. Don't delete anything unless it really embarrasses you. Move on, write more and you'll improve. Practice makes perfect and determination is the key to success.

7. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

just unpublish it and it will remain in your portfolio don't delete it.

8. profile image56
    fun2hubposted 14 years ago

Just don't delete, or you can unpublish for a while and think how to make it better.

9. johnr54 profile image47
    johnr54posted 14 years ago

The message here is simple - Don't delete or unpublish hubs. 

Maybe if it is something that you no longer want out there, but otherwise let it be.  Edit it or improve it if you feel the need, but as it stands, if nothing else it creates links to your profile and other hubs that you create, so there is really no reason to delete one.  Simply put, it's better to have it than not.

10. Glenn Stok profile image95
    Glenn Stokposted 14 years ago

I agree with everyone who says you should not delete. Things take time. Google needs to have time to analyze what are good hubs. Over time, Google sends more traffic if they see that readers stay in the hub.

I believe in working at it, discovering why things are not working and making them better. HubPages has a lot of tools to use for this. Review the stats on hubs and use the info it provides to make things better. Use Google Analytics too. This lets you see how long people remain in your hubs. It they leave quickly, you know you need to fix something. There are a lot of great hubs written by other Hubbers that explain all the stuff about HubPages' Hub stats and using Google's tools.

11. mel22 profile image61
    mel22posted 14 years ago

only delete if you wrote something so personal that you feel the need to take it down now for whatever personal reason! all other hubs should stay put and be tweaked

12. flread45 profile image60
    flread45posted 14 years ago

Never delete a hub,just keep adding to it.

13. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 14 years ago

Unpublish and re-work then re-publish. Or leave publish and tweak. Whatever works. I don't delete any, but I don't revise either. No time to go back and do all my first hubs. I will revise as I run across them though.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)