jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

Where do you get your news? Newspapers? TV? Online?

1. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 6 years ago

The local newspaper has reduced its size radically and talk is that it may reduce even more.  Ad revenue has gone down in the past few years.  This is happening all over the country.  Do you still read the paper? How often? Why?

I like reading the paper, but I am losing patience with the "hard news" in it - its so sketchy, or when they do write in-depth about something its opinionated, which I hate.  I love the home section and the funny papers and sometimes the advice columns and the movie/book reviews, and would like to have a daily that was just that so I wouldn't feel guilty about not reading the hard news! big_smile

how about you?

2. Cagsil profile image83
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

I get my news from all sorts of places and isn't limited to just specific sources. I don't agree with the methodology or views(biased) of some media outlets.

So, newspapers are read with high untrust. Many TV groups/companies are also not to be trusted, because they dress it up, so they can get more ratings. The Online community is actually much larger than all other sources, but most are subjective to other people's opinions, so again must be read carefully and not to be believed.

Many sources that report news have a hidden agenda, which is unknown to readers, but has become or made almost all news not worthy of reading or hearing about. I guess it would highly depend on the topic or what was put into the news.

Hope I helped.

3. wyanjen profile image87
    wyanjenposted 6 years ago

My city papers have stopped delivering most days of the week.
    I'm more upset about this because it is my industry, not because of the lack of news.

I'm a printer who gets news on-line. I'll watch local news on TV from time to time. When I'm home I will usually have CNN or MSNBC on the TV in the other room.

But, the thought of the Man Rolands going quiet is upsetting.

1. 0
      Leta Sposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I agree!  I hate to see the old, huge and cool city block printers and the paper webs go.  The end of a golden age, sad.  Newspapering was my industry up until a year ago.

1. wyanjen profile image87
        wyanjenposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Sorry I missed your post before Lita
        Nothing like a full web running top speed is there? lol
        What were you doing in the industry? I haven't written for news in many many years. I do design and pre-press. Not at a newspaper now, but still commercial printing.
        I get my own junk mail fairly often smile

2. 0
      ryankettposted 6 years ago in reply to this

So if it is your industry, why do you participate in the activities which have led to its decline? Thats almost like helping to bang the final nail into your own coffin?

1. wyanjen profile image87
        wyanjenposted 6 years ago in reply to this

What good is there in ignoring new technology and opportunity at your own expense? The internet is replacing print media. If I stubbornly continue to get my news from newspapers only, I'm limiting myself.
        Also, if I continue to buy every local newspaper every day, I'm not going to make a dent. My spending would not help stem the massive profit loss.
        I'm watching my industry (and my own job) die a slow and agonizing death. It is difficult and as I mentioned, very upsetting. But there is no denying the fact that internet-based information is better than print media in many ways.

We are struggling to survive and adapt. Fighting to maintain old technology is foolish though. The only answer is to find a new avenue for profit.

So, why don't I buy newspapers? It's a futile attempt. hmm
        My coffin has so many nails already, I don't think I'll even notice when the last one gets pounded in. lol

1. 0
          ryankettposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Lol, I suppose 1 newspaper a day isnt going to save an industry, you are quite right.... innovation and following the trends is the way. There are papers round my way doing struggling too. In fact, I am considering doing a Masters degree in online media....

4. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 6 years ago

When I asked this question I had just read parts of the Sunday paper and thought how nice it was holding the newspaper and reading it - the look of it, even the smell of it.  I would miss it - but on Sundays and around holidays there are all those garish circulars and ads.  I am very conflicted about it - and I am always searching for new sources of relatively unbiased news - so recommend away if you want!  Thank yoU!

5. wyanjen profile image87
    wyanjenposted 6 years ago

Selling advertising space as you would sell real estate is no longer a profitable model. This is the cause of the problem more so than circulation in my opinion.

I learned a hard lesson when I saw my friends and co-workers slowly fade away as digital technology replaced the old analog methods. I accomplish in one day what used to require three or four people, before Macs came along. High skilled folks with years or decades of seniority, pushed off to the side. sad

I am the only person left working on the entire second floor of my shop. But the productivity is the same as it was before the switch. I feel bad about it, but also grateful that I adapted myself so that I could survive.

So, that's the hard lesson lol
    Adapt or die.

6. TN21 profile image60
    TN21posted 6 years ago

Online: CNN.com and Yahoo.com
    TV: BBC/PBS and various local news.
    Print: Local paper.

I'm into more of in-depth news programs like 48 Hours and Frontline than regular 30-minute news because they tell stories with much more details.