jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)

Need help with an intervention...

1. Laura Thykeson profile image80
    Laura Thykesonposted 6 years ago

I have someone in my family who is asking for help, but when I and others who love her tried, she gets hateful-anyone have any ideas on how to get her some help? It is alcohol and prescription drugs, and to be honest, it's not just her, it's several of us in the same family. I am opening my heart to you all, as I feel kind of like you are family now, and I don't know where to turn. She lives in another city than me, and I and my niece (her daughter) are trying to help her, and she asks for help, then gets hateful when we try to help. Someone please answer soon. This is making me nuts and I hate it.  Thanks to anyone who can give me some tips. Just got off the phone after FOUR hours with her and her daughter all at the same time.

1. Cagsil profile image84
      Cagsilposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Hello Laura,

Okay, this is going to sound strange, as it should, considering, I have no background in drug addiction, and the person who would be best to talk about it with is Lyricsingray.

She is another Hubber who battled an addiction.

I have included her Hub: http://hubpages.com/profile/lyricsingray

For more information.

On another side, I am a people watcher and have many people around me, deal with drug life and the usage of such things, like prescription drugs and I know it isn't a life that I wanted nor was I ever willing to accept. But, that doesn't take away from what I learned, but only enhances it, so much so I can see things about people, others wouldn't notice.

So, on that note- the problem you have is a joint problem, which means it can be solved jointly. How you go about this is key to your fundamental success. (1) I would seek guidance from a real psychologist, who might be able to recognize the underlying problem each of you have, with regard to your dependency on prescription drugs. (2) Each of you must make family pact, that will bind you together as one. The power of supportive measures from each of you must remain consistent and unwaivered. The only way to achieve this is unified love for each other.(3) You must put your outlook on positive overdrive, to achieve a clean health exit from your addiction. If you are NOT positively charged positive when you wake up, you will dread living your life without your dependency. It is always a requirement to stay focused on what the task is, so you can beat it back, whenever the itch comes.

Be true to yourself and your family, and you shall survive or weather the storm, per se. You will be a much stronger of a person and you'll be able to truly understand the love that can be generated by family support.

I hope I helped.

Laura Thykesonposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thank you all for you help. Any other other things you have to say will be helpful

2. H.C Porter profile image85
    H.C Porterposted 6 years ago

When help is offered, what kind? Is it rehab help? From experience- most addicts, although want help-still resist help. It's scary. It is like...giving up your best friend in the world (when everything that has mattered, good or bad, has been there for you) and knowing that you will never see them again.

If it is rehab that you are leaning towards, call the center... see what they can do. Because she is an adult-you cant force her-it has to be her decision, but they often have tactics that may make it easier for you.

When it comes to addiction-even if you know you have a problem-no one likes to admit that they have lost control of themselves and need help regaining it.

3. H.C Porter profile image85
    H.C Porterposted 6 years ago

What are your plans for the intervention?

4. Friendlyword profile image59
    Friendlywordposted 6 years ago

I hope no one else ever reaches the point I did. I got to the point where my life was so bad because of drug use; I had to stop or die. It was so bad for me, I quit without rehab or intervention.  I never even considered it.  I saw too many people going back and forth into rehab. And, I didn't like the idea of religion being a part of the 12 step program. So when I hit rock bottom; the two choices were very clear to me, live or die. It has been six years. I have not had the urge to use at any point in the last six years.  Everyday I feel great to get up in the morning and look at myself in the mirror.  I love the person I see there. When I was on drugs I weighted in at 145lb.  My normal weight is 180. I'm so greatful God kept me alive long enough for me to see what I was doing to myself, and stop the drug use. Sometimes it comes down to self preservation. I choose to live drug free, and I never looked back.

I am going to join your fanclib. It is 5am here and I am still ON THE PHONR most of the time!!!

5. Laura Thykeson profile image80
    Laura Thykesonposted 6 years ago

sorry for the mispellings. I took asthma meds that made me wide awake but not very functional...