Fixing spellcheck?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)
  1. Jennifer profile image69
    Jenniferposted 16 years ago

The spellcheck has never worked for me on hubpages.  I click it and it either tells me a bunch of words are misspelled when they aren't or it shows no misspellings, when I know there are.  I end up copying and pasting my articles to word and doing a check there and having to go back and forth to edit, but it would be so much quicker if it worked here at hubpages.  Does anyone else have this problem?  Can it be fixed?  Thanks!

1. compu-smart profile image88
      compu-smartposted 16 years agoin reply to this

If you want to use the ABC spell checker as your means of spell checking i would try using it in another browser as all browsers have something better than the others at creating, editing hubs, although Hubpages works best with Internet Explorer 6+ and FireFox 1.5+. Mac: FireFox 1.5+.
      HubPages does not currently support Safari.

Other browsers do work and i use K-Meleon when i am editing my hub as it is quicker "for me" than other browsers but the ABC spell check always crashes when i use it so i use a different browsers to create my hubs for personal preference reasons..

2. Michelle Yvette profile image59
      Michelle Yvetteposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I found that after I am done with a capsul I hit save then edit again and the spell check works fine for me then.  I have had the same problems.

2. gamergirl profile image85
    gamergirlposted 16 years ago

Jennifer,

I have found for the most part that writing the meat of my Hubs in Word and then once I am finished with each capsule's contents swapping it into the hub creation process has been quite effective and quick.

That, of course, doesn't change that if the spellcheck thingus here on Hubpages is broken, it should be looked at. big_smile

3. Mark Knowles profile image57
    Mark Knowlesposted 16 years ago

I agree - but I end up doing as gamergirl suggests for a different reason - I have lost a few blocks of text when I have typed them directly into the capsule, so now I always write them in word and drag them in.

4. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 16 years ago

We made some small changes to the text capsule recently.  They won't clear up a "javascript error" type of problem, but some of the visual quirks may be gone.  I don't know if that will help with your spell check problem or not.  In my testing, the spell check works reasonably well in IE6, IE7, Firefox, and Opera.

5. William F. Torpey profile image71
    William F. Torpeyposted 16 years ago

I don't use spellcheck. I do it the old-fashioned way -- and I use Associated Press style insofar as I can remember it. I re-read and go over my text very carefully, often two or three times, sometimes more. If I'm not sure of a word I look it up in dictionary.com. Even then I occasionally miss something. Spell checks are far from perfect. They don't know the difference between "two" "to" and "too" or if you say "accept" when you mean "except" the spell check will not pick it up.

I read a lot of hubs, and most of them are full of good information -- and they're very interesting. But I find lots of spelling errors and typos on many otherwise excellent hubs. On a site that consists entirely of authors, spelling and grammar errors should be rare.

We all make mistakes, but spelling and grammar errors reflect poorly on any site where they exist. I've even seen such errors in featured articles on Yahoo and other sites where blogs are put forward as news or feature items. Without the benefit of editors, it's important to be extra vigilant.

While newspapers are not perfect, and make plenty of errors, no newspaper worth its salt would publish a news story that was not edited carefully for proper English, grammar, spelling and fact-checking. No reporter edits his own copy -- because no one is immune from errors.

Sorry, I lost my head!

6. About-The-Home profile image59
    About-The-Homeposted 16 years ago

Yes you're correct William. Spelling is more than assembling letters to make an English word.
    It's got to be the correct word in the correct context.
    If I had said your correct or its got to be both would have been wrong but I doubt whether a spell checker would have picked them up.
    I know it would have been better not to have used the shortened form any way but it is still correct.

The misuse of the apostrophe is probably my biggest bugbear but I don't think I'm immune if I do things in a hurry.

I think to call us all authors is a bit overblown. Scribblers might be more apt (well in my case anyway!)

7. elisabeth reid profile image65
    elisabeth reidposted 16 years ago

I don't like spellcheck, either...I tend to create in Word, print and proof and then copy the text.  Problem with that is breaking the text up into capsules (I don't like huge blocks of text on the web.  They're hard for me to read and therefore I tend to assume everyone feels the same way), so it tends to become very time-consuming.  And, since I'm basically lazy....well...

Still....no spellcheck for me except for the old-fashioned kind.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)