jump to last post 1-14 of 14 discussions (31 posts)

How prevalent is Christianity on Hubpages?

1. DogSiDaed profile image60
    DogSiDaedposted 7 years ago

I just wanted to get an idea, it seems there is a very heavy Christian presence here on Hubpages, as opposed to other sites such as Youtube, where atheists dominate. I thought it was better to post this in the Hangout to avoid bias.

THIS IS NOT ME PASSING A JUDGEMENT ON CHRISTIANS OR ATHEISTS. I AM JUST CURIOUS smile

2. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 7 years ago

The atheist hold the lead here too. The Chistians are holding their own. The atheists and liberals are all the same here point their fingers and cry.

1. marinealways24 profile image60
      marinealways24posted 7 years ago in reply to this

Do you think you are in a war to protect your belief and faith?

2. Paraglider profile image89
      Paragliderposted 7 years ago in reply to this

What about the liberal Christians? Oh wait, I forgot. Jesus belongs to the GOP...

3. Jane@CM profile image59
    Jane@CMposted 7 years ago

The Religion forum seems to hold the #1 spot, second is Politics.

4. Cagsil profile image60
    Cagsilposted 7 years ago

Interesting.......hmmmm............?

Just to let you know- I'm not atheist, nor christian, nor any other form of religion. I have NO religious beliefs in the mystical god some people appear to have.

I reject all mystical religions on Earth and have come to the understanding that it is now becoming detrimental to the entire human race. Why? or How? Well, that's a much longer story.

How ever, I'm of the thinking that I studied to learn about religion and religious beliefs from 5 to 22 years of age. Then, I dove into deeper study, on the notion, religion wasn't being honest with people. And, I started at 22 and now 41. I finished my study of religion in 2000 and began a long process for relieving the world of mystical religious beliefs.

Some will argue about the 'spirituality' of a person, requires a mystical belief in a God, it's the basis for who they are. This argument is null-n-void because spirituality can still be obtained without the 'mystical' God claimed. The proper use of faith is to be in oneself and in their fellow humans. Through honest conscience thought and selfless action, a person can grow spirituality, which can boost Humankind effectiveness to work with each other. That spiritual growth is all human nature actually requires.

Thank you for the topic. Greatly appreciated.

5. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 7 years ago

why is this topic important?

DogSiDaedposted 7 years ago in reply to this

If you do not consider it important then that is ok, I simply have a curious mind, and I like to know how things work and how things are happening.

6. goldenpath profile image80
    goldenpathposted 7 years ago

It may seem ever present until one is singled out and slammed for his/her beliefs.  Then it feels quite lonely out here.

7. ixwa profile image87
    ixwaposted 7 years ago

On Hubpages, I do not know. In life, the topic persists. With me, I am glad I am still alive, that matters to me.

8. Lady_E profile image82
    Lady_Eposted 7 years ago

There used to be Islam/Muslim posts, but they all seem to have disappeared.

9. mega1 profile image81
    mega1posted 7 years ago

trying to persuade someone else into thinking the way you do about religion is just - strange! And Christians have tried it more with me than any others.   I see nothing wrong with celebrating your religion verbally and saying how much you love it - but telling others their ideas are wrong and they will go to hell is just WRONG!  These kind of Christians really turn me off.  and it seems they are in the majority in the religion forums right now - so I stay away from there.

10. h.a.borcich profile image60
    h.a.borcichposted 7 years ago

Hi DogSiDaed,

The Religion forum here is brutal for all parties participating IMHO. There are heated debates continually.

I am a Christian, though I don't debate dogma or any specifics pertaining to any religion in particular.

Couldn't help but notice the letters in your name....each word spelled backwards...well I noticed.

Welcome to HubPages, Holly

Haha well observed smile It's not literal of course. The inspiration came from a story my uncle told me about a church in Madrid where every night somebody wrote it on the church wall, and every morning it was cleaned off. I was searching for a username and somehow it popped into my head XD

11. thirdmillenium profile image60
    thirdmilleniumposted 7 years ago

It is natural for any forum including this to be dominated by christians for the simple reason that most of the members are from the US. And, at least in name, almost all the citizens of the country is Christian. Unless one vociferously protests, it is taken for granted that he is a Christian.

And, believe it or not, whether you are a practising Christian or not, Christian values are inclucated in you. So irrespecitve of what you write about, you sound Christian. Your tone is Christian......

A good point. But what are Christian values, and how do they differ from mine?

Christians all have one trained conscience, or that is the goal. You have an individual conscience.

That's not a value, that's a belief, and an irrational one...

What part is irrational?

Well, you cannot have one trained conscience ever. No matter how much you try, although I'll admit that religion does make an attempt, albeit not a stunning one.

What I meant was though, what VALUES that Christians live by are different from mine. The conscience point was a good one, but it isn't a value to live by, it's some kind of target. Sorry if I didn't make the question clear smile

I was pretty much talking about the trained conscience of believing in a heaven and hell, god and devil. I don't think one persons values are valued over the other. I didn't mean to state it as an absolute, not all of the same belief have the same conscience, you are right. However, I believe if all the believers had the same 1 conscience, this would be optimum for power and control over the believers.

True, but ultimate power and control over everybody? Scary thought... And who is enforcing this?

The head of every grouped belief system that promises favoritism and rewards for believing.

2. thirdmillenium profile image60
        thirdmilleniumposted 7 years ago in reply to this

See? This politeness is Christian value. you may not realize it and /or you may call it by any other name

Ok, I think I see what you mean. However I am offended by the affiliation. I take my values from morals derived WITHOUT scripture. Just because the bible may endorse some of the same things does not mean my values are based on it. Cause and effect is being held the wrong way round here.

1. Will Apse profile image92
            Will Apseposted 7 years ago in reply to this

If you really believe you have invented yourself you have fallen prey to that most pervasive of ideologies, rootin, tootin capitalism.

In this ideology all we have to do is choose our brands and make our life style choices, consume the right books, subscribe to the TV that fulfills us and suddenly we are fully formed, self-actualizing individuals.

Scratch away this dross and you fill find a few thousand years of culture, including all that Christian stuff. Love it or loath it, it is the stuff we are made from.

I wasn't saying that I'd entirely made myself, what I meant was simple morals and things such as 'Thou shalt do no murder' are taken as having been a Christian value. Now that's all well and good, but just because I'm an atheist doesn't mean that I go around killing people XD

I hope you get what I mean...

2. Paraglider profile image89
              Paragliderposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Not really true. Our morals and ethics are the product of the consciousness of a social species. That is why almost the same code pops up in every major religion and philosophy. Morals predate religion.

12. prettydarkhorse profile image64
    prettydarkhorseposted 7 years ago

I am a Catholic Christian, but I respect everybodys opinion, throughtout history religion and politics dominate everybodys thinking,,

13. alexandriaruthk profile image53
    alexandriaruthkposted 7 years ago

lots of them here,

14. marinealways24 profile image60
    marinealways24posted 7 years ago

All individuals have an individual conscience and many strive to have the same conscience. Devolution!

working