jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (16 posts)

Adding original pictures to your Hubs helps drive more traffic?

1. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 6 years ago

I've noticed that several of my Hubs where I have taken the pictures and the only place they have been posted is on my Hubs are getting more traffic.  I'm curious if others have done this experiment.

1. Google Gal profile image60
      Google Galposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I haven't done this experement yet because I just started here at HubPages  but it seems to me to make a more attractive hub pictures and videos are nice additions

2. relache profile image87
    relacheposted 6 years ago

When I do a Hub that's got more of a "how-to" feel to it, and I take my own pictures, it definitely does better.  After all, in that scenario, I'm able to tailor my images to better illustrate what I'm saying.

3. torimari profile image78
    torimariposted 6 years ago

For my two art hub tutorials I took my own photos. smile They do pretty well.

4. 0
    lyricsingrayposted 6 years ago

I don't know about traffic but enjoy the creativity of taking my own shots, though I have had to result to stock as well. big_smile

5. kirstenblog profile image77
    kirstenblogposted 6 years ago

I wouldn't be surprised if your pic came up in a google search for that sort of picture, meaning more traffic. I actually had a site link to my hub by using the picture on their site, I am not sure what kind of back link that is but it was definitely interesting. Funny thing was it was a pic I found in the public domain so they coulda taken it without giving the back link.

1. torimari profile image78
      torimariposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Good point and I do get google traffic from images.google.com because it picks up the picture.

Soooo more pictures in general can result in more traffic because of google's picture search. smile

6. Ms Chievous profile image81
    Ms Chievousposted 6 years ago

When i add my own pics it seems I get a higher starting hubscore. I don't see any correlation between my own pics and page views though.  I do seem to have a lot more slide show views than I do page views sometimes.

7. kirstenblog profile image77
    kirstenblogposted 6 years ago

I guess the saying is true, a picture is worth a thousand words.

8. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 6 years ago

You'll definitely get image search traffic.  Relache's comment about illustrating and creating a higher quality experience is most likely the causation.

I'd love to have data on a couple of things.  One, do people link to Hubs more often naturally that have pictures and two, does google give content a boost in the search results that have original pictures - ie is it a quality signal?

1. sunforged profile image69
      sunforgedposted 6 years ago in reply to this

How would google understand "original picture" ?

I have always created unique keyword rich filenames even when using CC/PD pictures, but here on hubpages it seems as if that file name is lost on the upload? and the best i can do is use descriptive captions and headers in the capsule?

Does Google compute file size and image meta data? to measure an image as "unique"

I use a lot of original images or CC images that i have manipulated/cropped and renamed (properly credited of course) but never really crunched the stats/split tested to see the effects of unique uploaded images vs hotlinked images.

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
        Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

When I do image searches, there's always a message that says something like "Google has omitted similar images, click here to see the full search results".  If you click on the link, you get a huge additional number of images.  So Google definitely makes a judgment on what is a "similar" image, but what criteria it uses, who knows.

2. rebekahELLE profile image91
      rebekahELLEposted 6 years ago in reply to this

this sounds exciting to find out. I think pics do add to the quality of a hub. my hubs with my own pics get searched for images. personally, I think articles without some form of visual are boring, even when I'm searching on the web. if it's an article saturated with ads, I move on.

I think people appreciate to see the authors pics especially if its travel related.

3. relache profile image87
      relacheposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I think it's clear that having images on a Hub gets more traffic than not, but I don't think that just yet Google itself puts more weight to an original image versus one gleaned from elsewhere.

When I do a GIS, it's clear from the results returned that sometimes Google really has no idea what image it's serving to me.  After all, it's just a series of programs trying to do the best it can with what info it gets from people about the images.  I think when Hub visitors respond more to images on our Hubs, Google gets a better idea of which images are higher quality and more relevant but even visitor response won't really give it an idea of what's original and what's not.

9. lakeerieartists profile image79
    lakeerieartistsposted 6 years ago

I get google image traffic when I have images on hubs.

10. 0
    Crazdwriterposted 6 years ago

I only post pictures that are original, i.e. me and family or pics I have taken like of books and things and I haven't noticed any drive more to my hubs than others. lol I guess I just don't pay attention.