jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Question about on-going hub

1. ThoughtfulSpot profile image83
    ThoughtfulSpotposted 6 years ago

Hi.  Hoping someone can help with a suggestion.  Before I really got the concept of what Hubpages is all about, I was looking for a place just to write.  So, I started my first hub which is more of a random thought/blog style kind of scenario.  Here's the link-

As I started doing more informational articles (I've only published 2 others, but am working on 2 more) I've gotten away from the original hub posted above.  I'd like to continue it periodically, but I'm thinking that just going back and editing to add more isn't really the right way to go about it.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to keep up with my personal ramblings in between researched hubs?  Can I just add on to this one? Or should I start a new hub every now and then? (i.e. - Thoughtful Spot 2, Thoughtful Spot 3, etc.)  Or, is this really not the right forum for what I was doing anyway, and I should just can that hub and stick to the informative articles?

Any ideas, whether you have time to actually read the hub or not, for this situation would be appreciated.  If you do get a chance to click and read and have any other suggestions or comments for a newbie, I'm always up for some constructive criticism too.

Thanks everyone!

2. livewithrichard profile image85
    livewithrichardposted 6 years ago

Well ThoughtfulSpot, the first thing you should understand about hubpages is that it is not a blog.  The blog platform will not work on these pages.  If a blog is what you want then try Wordpress or Bolgger.  Leave that hub where it is but then post a link to your new blog location from with in the hub and also in your profile.

Each hub page should be able to stand on its own as a unique piece of work.  So if you wanted to use this as a blog then every post you make should be its own hub page.  You can link them together with a url link at the bottom of each page.

3. Siotosh profile image61
    Siotoshposted 6 years ago

Hi ThoughtfulSpot welcome, I'm new here too
    Just feel free and write, you can group Hugs as a continuing story  or similar subject. to be able to write on different topics is always a plus

4. IzzyM profile image85
    IzzyMposted 6 years ago

I'd agree with the answer frm livewithrichard. Treat a hub as being a complete aticle in itself from the word 'go'. I have been guilty of changing hubs, but then I am a new hubber and this is learning curve in itself.
    I would think that if you want to write about ongoing situations that change, then a blog would be better - either that or has been suggested, keep your hubs but continue into new ones, providing links so that any interested reader can keep up-to-date with the changes.
    I had blogs before I had hubs, I have both now. There is a difference.
    Blogger.com also give you the chance to earn money while you write.

5. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image93
    EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 6 years ago

It's rather easy to set up a free blog through blogger and not much more complicated through wordpress. I use my blogs for short posts and commentary, which sounds like what you described. The other advantage is you can post links to your hubs and cross promote, which helps both the blog and your hubs. Also you don't share revenue with HP on your own blog.

Basically, I look at HubPages as a journalistic platform. Hubs really don't lend themselves well to blog type posts. You're better off just having an actual blog for that.

6. ThoughtfulSpot profile image83
    ThoughtfulSpotposted 6 years ago

Thanks everybody.  You've kind of confirmed what I was thinking.  Like I said, I came here by accident looking to get back into writing of any kind.  So, I don't regret the first Hub, as it was my commitment the day I decided to get back to writing that I would find a site and write something on Day 1.  But, now that I've explored Hubpages a little more, I understand that the other hubs I've written are really more appropriate to this venue.  I like the suggestion of leaving that hub alone, but linking to a blog elsewhere.  I'm not sure I'll have time for both now, so I think I'll stick to the stand alone hubs here for a while until I get more adept at these, but, I'll definitely look into wordpress and blogger later.

Thank you all!