Wow! Somebody has done their entire xmas shop through my links!

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (35 posts)
  1. profile image0
    ryankettposted 14 years ago

Either that or my new tactic has really worked. I was frustrated that I wasnt getting many sales from Amazon at the end of November, which is supposed to be the peak of xmas spending, so I tried something out.....

.... I placed Amazon links for really high end and well known products on non-sales pages. For example, I have Apple Mac and Blackberry Storm products on pages about facebook....

I only did this 36 hours ago; and have had 66 clicks with a 22% conversion rate since doing it..... before this I had never seen a greater conversion rate than 1%.

I havent sold Apple Macs or iPhones or Blackberries.... but instead all sorts of lower end stuff.

Cant be bothered to work out my earnings, will find out soon, but there are 15 items waiting to be shipped!

1. kirstenblog profile image78
      kirstenblogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If this keeps up you might be able to write a hub about strategies for amazon sales, I keep looking for good hubs on the topic and have not found that golden one yet big_smile

1. profile image0
        Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Kristen you don't need to read hubs amount making hubs. Just look at the Amazon hubs of hubbers who have reported success. I'm off to check out Ryan's hubs now.

1. kirstenblog profile image78

Thats exactly what I did with your hubs! I went and had a look at how you were laying them out etc. big_smile

2. profile image0
          ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not sure what the point in looking at my hubs is.... all I did was stick Apple macs and iPhones on my busiest hubs.... this day was a complete one off! I guess it was 1 or 2 large baskets!

2. terrowhite profile image57
      terrowhiteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

thats really nice.. congrats!!!

3. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

good innovating! smile

2. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

wow, congrats ryankett

3. K Partin profile image60
    K Partinposted 14 years ago

Way to go...very cool! smile

4. emievil profile image67
    emievilposted 14 years ago

Congrats Ryan smile

5. NaomiR profile image75
    NaomiRposted 14 years ago

Very cool!

6. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Excellent.  (I think the person who bought all that stuff from Amazon might have been my kids' father.  He refuses to go into stores at this time of year, so his Amazon Prime account really gets a workout.  lol)

7. Bovine Currency profile image60
    Bovine Currencyposted 14 years ago

nice one smile

8. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

Ryan that's fantastic news. I think your new strategy is brilliant. Too many hubbers put their products at the end of the page. You're very smart to put high end products near the top on non-sales pages. (If I had any non-sales pages, I might give it a try. smile)

1. rmcrayne profile image89
      rmcrayneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I was thinking of doing this on my most viewed hubs, but would probably have put the Amazon capsule at the bottom.  Not sure if I'm getting enough page views at this point to make a difference, but it will be my project tomorrow.

9. jenblacksheep profile image67
    jenblacksheepposted 14 years ago

So do you earn money if someone clicks on your links to get to Amazon and buys stuff from there, even if it's not the products you have advertised?

1. profile image0

Yes, as long as they purchase on that same visit (e.g. dont close their browser).

1. Lily Rose profile image85
        Lily Roseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Actually, Ryan, doesn't Amazon have a 30 or 60 day cookie?  So anytime someone who has been on Amazon through one of your links goes back and buys anything (within that time frame), you get credit.

Since Amazon doesn't give you real-time reporting, I check the previous day's orders every morning and yesterday I freaked out when I saw that there were 16 orders from the day before!  I think only one item was something I had on my hub.  Of course, this morning there was only one order shown for yesterday!

1. profile image0

I think that Amazon now has a single session cookie? I believe that people such as Mark Knowles have lost about a third of their sales after Amazon changed this.... I dont think it was ever as much as 30-60 days though Lily Rose....

1. Lily Rose profile image85

Wow, I had no idea it had changed (I don't rememeber exactly what it was!)  I have been doing very well with Amazon lately and I assumed that people were going back and buying within the cookie's time frame - maybe I'm doing better than I thought then?

1. profile image0

The end of November and beginning of December is always the busiest time of the year..... as many people get their final monthly pay cheque before christmas. Same happened to me, I sold 15 items in 1 day two days ago.... more than I had sold in the 4 months previous!

2. Lily Rose profile image85

I just looked it up and it's a 24 hour cookie, but it ends if the person makes a purchase, so even if they go back (after making a purchase) within 24 hours it will not count.  Well, you learn something new everyday, right?  This was it for me!

1. profile image0

Oh ok, well 24 hours is not many! I think that most of my sales must have been to the same person, they included 5 DS games and 3 books on the same topic..... so somebody went on a spree! A couple more would be nice!

1. rmcrayne profile image89
                rmcrayneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I thought recently on the forums word was that Amazon cookie was now single episode.  If someone clicked on Amazon from your hub, then navigated away to comparasion shop, then came back and purchased items, you still would not get any percentage.

2. kirstenblog profile image78

So long as its within the life span of your 'cookie' with them yes smile

10. tantrum profile image61
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

THAT'S GREAT !!! CONGRATS smile

11. alexandriaruthk profile image69
    alexandriaruthkposted 14 years ago

congrats,

12. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 14 years ago

I think that is great!  You are a true inspiration for us wannabes!!

Thanks for posting xxxx

13. glendoncaba profile image74
    glendoncabaposted 14 years ago

Thanks for the post.  I have started to experience amazon sales lately, too.

But y'all know I'm way low on the learning curve.

And I write on so many topics.  Not necessarily products.

14. itcoll profile image61
    itcollposted 14 years ago

wow...you are really lucky ryankett

15. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

Nice job ryan! Congrats dude!

16. Research Analyst profile image74
    Research Analystposted 14 years ago

This is great news, thanks for sharing!

17. Csjun89 profile image61
    Csjun89posted 14 years ago

wow cool stuff

congrats on the dollars rolling in for christmas, a few more weeks ahead before it trickles off!

18. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

yep...amazon is only a session cookie now - the 24 hours is still in effect only if an item is placed in the shopping cart

You have one session for item to get in cart and 24 hours for the cc info to be sent to buy it.

I keep getting confused though..it could have changed again since the last time I read it line for line

19. Lily Rose profile image85
    Lily Roseposted 14 years ago

Just copied this from Amazon:

4. Referral Fees
    We will pay you (in accordance with Sections 5 and 6 below) referral fees on certain Product sales to third parties. For a Product sale to be eligible to earn a referral fee, the customer must click-through a Special Link on your site to the Amazon Site and during a single session, add the Product to his or her shopping cart, purchase the Product with digital fulfillment (e.g., digital download or streaming) in the case of Digital Products, or purchase the Product via our 1-Click feature. The session begins when the customer clicks through a Special Link on your site to the Amazon Site and ends upon the first to occur of the following events: (a) 24 hours elapses from the customer's initial click-through, (b) the customer places an order for a Product that is not a Digital Product, or (c) the customer follows a third party link to the Amazon Site that is formatted with an Associate’s tag. We will only pay referral fees on eligible Products after order, payment, and shipping or, in the case of Digital Products, digital fulfillment have occurred.

It's a little confusing, but it does seem to be a 24 hour cookie and if they go back within that 24 hours and add an item to the cart and check out it counts - am I reading that correctly?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)