jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Fluctuating hubscores

1. The Indexer profile image80
    The Indexerposted 8 years ago

Yes, I have checked the FAQ but I don't see an answer to this one:

I check my account quite often, out of curiosity really, and have noticed some scores for individual hubs moving up or down for no apparent reason. There have been no new page views, I have not edited the hub, there have been no comments, but the hubscore is two or three points higher or lower than when I last looked.

What is happening to make these changes?

2. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 8 years ago

You may have checked the FAQ, but it seems you didn't quite comprehend the answer to "How are HubScores computed?"

Notice how the first sentence includes the phrase "...and will vary quite a bit..."  Bottom line is that HubScores are NOT fixed.  They go up and down based on the variances of all the components that comprise HubScore (as listed above).  If you check them often, you will see these changes.  Once a Hub has been published for a while, it usually goes up and down within about a 10 point range.

3. The Indexer profile image80
    The Indexerposted 8 years ago

Thanks for the answer, but my puzzlement was over why the scores move when none of the given factors has changed in any way. I understand that there must be a subtle piece of software at work that makes these things happen, but when the only variable that has changed would appear to be time, I wonder why this should have an effect? - I'm perfectly happy to accept that it does, but it just seems odd to me!

4. pauldeeds profile image
    pauldeedsposted 8 years ago

One small factor is intentionally assigned completely at random in order to induce some fluctuation into the score.  We want the scores to move a little.   We also don't publicize every single component of the score, since we don't want to make it easier for or to encourage people to try "game" the system.