jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (12 posts)

hubpages in 47' plasma vision

1. sunforged profile image68
    sunforgedposted 6 years ago

Just finished configuring my new 47 plasma with local network, hubs looks great at 47' ...everything is great at 47'

ANybody else using there lcd tvs or plasma as a computer monitor?

kind of a fun contrast, im typing from my tiny netbook keypad, lol

i now this is pointless, im sorry, im really, really excited by this, first snowfall hit today in western ny, and winter now looks a hell of alot less daunting

2. Jeffrey Neal profile image87
    Jeffrey Nealposted 6 years ago

Sounds awesome, sunforged! Alas, I wish I had it set up with mine, but my plasma doesn't have a VGA port, and my laptop doesn't have HDMI.

I was collecting components to build a HTPC, but since having been laid off I put parts buying on hold temporarily.  When I get it done, it will be great though.

You said TV connected with local network...how exactly?

1. sunforged profile image68
      sunforgedposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I should have added that I would never buy a 47' Plasma at real prices..this is actually the first tv I ever purchased, ever! my others were carried home during college when international students move away at breaks and just put everythinfg to the curb!

Got this for only 375!,,my girlfriend and I picked it as our christmas present for each other...she is just happy to now be able to force me to get rid of my giant 1990's console tv that is stacked to the ceiling with speakers and old stereo equiopment

anyways...local network, for $20 I bought an old xbox, installed a linux based media center OS called Boxie, the xbox is in my LAN so I can access all my music and videos and browse with it too!...you would be able to do that also as the xbox can just be connected via rca cables

this tv does have a PC port and pre-plasma i used a $8 adapter s video to RCA, not the best res, but was useful to broadcast downloaded video on the big screen

heres Boxee...LifeHacker is always talking about it.

Boxee was XBMC

if your interested you can also put boxee on a spare laptop or old computer

some links:

http://lifehacker.com/5421149/boxee-bet … k-and-feel

http://www.productwiki.com/microsoft-xb … nutes.html

3. Jeffrey Neal profile image87

Cool, I was wondering if you had one of the new TVs with connectivity.  That is an awesome deal, though.  I am pretty cheap, so I waited and managed a smoking deal year before last.

I have used S-video also, but text is almost unreadable on the screen so I gave up.  The HTPC or a setup like you have is better anyway for the reasons you mentioned.  Since getting ATT Uverse I can access my music and video files through the network via the settop box, but it's a little janky.

Anyway, I'm a little jealous of your setup. tongue

Oh, and thanks for those links!

4. sunforged profile image68

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m137/sunforged/sunforgeds-new-plasma.jpgWish the earnings matched the screen!(all data is blurred out per TOS, just wanted to use a screen image we all know well for comparison purposes

i couldnt resist...I havent actually taken apart the old entertainment system, so just testing in a corner of my living room, but gotta snigger at the netbook/tv contrast

ill have to splurge on wireless mouse and keyboard now- time to write some hubs

5. Jeffrey Neal profile image87

Aw, now you're just rubbing it in! smile  Great paintings, also! Yours I'm guessing...

If you decide to mount it on the wall, I got a great mount and HDMI cables from monoprice.com.  The mount is very good quality, super sturdy tilt mount, and it was around $25.

6. VacationAustralia profile image80
    VacationAustraliaposted 6 years ago

There is something about screen size when it comes to the internet. It somehow feels more accessible to me on a big screen. smile

7. sunforged profile image68

Ill have to take a look at monoprice than..I was planning on putting on the fireplace mantel since I dont use it anyway...but its a little high and im concerned about putting an unsecured 100lb electronic up there.

The mounts on the back are huge, i can use them as handles

thanks !, yep, my paintings, this whole net thing started for me by trying to do online promotion of art (not only mine) there big..kind of throws off the perspective on the tv

Does monoprice have an aff program?

*edit* Oh no, you already got the market cornered on some of the  netbook keywords i wanted! lol,Im off to read them... ill stay away from those models in my upcoming reviews

1. Jeffrey Neal profile image87
      Jeffrey Nealposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Unfortunately no affiliate that I am aware of. Go with your gut on the TV up high.  It needs to be secured...plasmas are heavy!

Sorry about the netbook keywords! hmm smile

8. itcoll profile image61
    itcollposted 6 years ago

wow...that should look great - except the keypad ..hee hee

9. sunforged profile image68

heres a newer boxee video

amd the actual site

1. Jeffrey Neal profile image87
      Jeffrey Nealposted 6 years ago in reply to this

That boxee box that D link unveiled is pretty cool.  The only thing missing is a blu ray drive.  That's one of the components I was waiting on the price to come down for my HTPC.