Now We're FOLLOWERS? You've GOT To Be Kidding!!!!

Jump to Last Post 51-82 of 82 discussions (158 posts)
  1. manlypoetryman profile image82
    manlypoetrymanposted 14 years ago

Warning Signs that you should not follow:

http://www.techography.net/gallery/albums/i-second-that-emoticon/crazy_road_signs.jpg

2. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

I vote for "subscriber." Maybe "worshipper" would work, too. lol!

3. Bard of Ely profile image80
    Bard of Elyposted 14 years ago

I was trying to work out why this has happened! So many of these sites become so similar and it's a shame to see that this one is following Twitter and elsewhere!

4. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Wait...let's go with disciples.

5. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

We could go one step further and have our followers categorized!

a) Forum Follower, is only your follower because they like you in the forums, but don't read your stuff

b) Fake Follower - this would come under the old title of "fanning" in hopes you'll follow them back

c) Disciple Follower - for those who only post in religion forum

d) Follower for Sex - you know who you are :lol

e) Subscribed Follower - those who follow you for your actual writing ability, witty humorous hub, amazing poetry & well thought out articles.

lol

manlypoetrymanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol Way to Good...Jane@CM!lol

2. myownworld profile image74
      myownworldposted 14 years agoin reply to this

love it!! big_smile

1. profile image0
        bloodnlatexposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sounds good to me!

6. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

http://dogcents.today.com/files/2009/02/sniffing-dog-butt-779913.jpg

Extreme Follower

7. myownworld profile image74
    myownworldposted 14 years ago

hey blood, can I be your follower for life?
    (not sure which category that is!)

1. profile image0

I would be honored!  I shall lead us into some of the finest messes you've ever seen.  Then we will write about them!

1. myownworld profile image74
        myownworldposted 14 years agoin reply to this

sounds like a dream I DO want to follow! wink

1. profile image0

I feel the same way!

8. Betty Reid profile image60
    Betty Reidposted 14 years ago

I don't really mind saying I follow someone's writing.  It's like follow the news.  It just confused me when wanted to sign up to be a fan and that was no longer an option.

9. SandyMcCollum profile image63
    SandyMcCollumposted 14 years ago

Ron, that's too funny!

I hate being a follower!

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
      Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you're not the lead dog, the view's always the same.

10. SoftCornHippo profile image59
    SoftCornHippoposted 14 years ago

Yeh, well if yu wanna follow me aroun, go right ahead!  It won't be purty! an' I'm kinda hard to see through, but I can promise you fun and a unique experyunce!  I preferred fans, because it gets hot in this hippo suit -(little joke) I acshully liked the term "fans" alot cuz it lets me fantasize about being a big media star (not a singer, can't sing, but maybe in the movies?) - but who cares what they call y'all! long as you're havin' fun. lol

11. Siotosh profile image61
    Siotoshposted 14 years ago

Following is better than fans because there are so many clashes. If we all follow each other we'll be facing each other. Therefore if we are facing each other, we might start kissing and spread love LOL
    <snipped - no links please>

12. Tom Cornett profile image79
    Tom Cornettposted 14 years ago

Rhymes with "Follower"  Swallower, Wallower....any more?  smile

1. profile image0
      Ghost32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hm.  Hollow...Hollower...Hollowest.

13. Jason Menayan profile image60
    Jason Menayanposted 14 years ago

Thank you for all the comments.  We are reading them. We have some features that are going to be released soon that we thought it made more sense to use the term follow since there is more familiarity with the term follow on the web (with Twitter and Google Wave, for example) than fan.

We wanted one term that works for topics and people.  As an example, we felt it was better to follow the topic bladder cancer than to be a fan of bladder cancer. 

Thanks again for all the feedback.

1. barryrutherford profile image75
      barryrutherfordposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If someone is going to be silly enough to call themselves bladder cancer I think they deserve the aspersions that are likely to follow !

2. profile image0
      zampanoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The term "fan" applied to Hubbers (virtual physical persons) is most adequate, as reader also is.
      If there are new features coming, I'd suggest that the choice of being fan or "follower" or whatever should remain.
      Jason, change your avatar to Santa Claus and leave us the choice.smile

14. profile image0
    Scott.Lifeposted 14 years ago

Just when you thought you were being paranoid, turns out you really are being followed. I'm going to need some kind of meds for this confirmation of my delusional world.

1. Cagsil profile image69
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol lol

2. H.C Porter profile image80
      H.C Porterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LMAO- i knew something was up with that black van...i thought the insomnia had finally taken its toll on my mind ( maybe i should have read the forums before i took all those meds ?)

1. Cagsil profile image69
        Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol

1. H.C Porter profile image80
          H.C Porterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

if not fans...why cant we have admirers or something of the sorts? followers is a little stalk-ish or commune sounding... if someone asks me to drink the kool-aid first, i'm so out of here... smile

2. profile image0

Black vans?  What about the black helicopters?

1. Hmrjmr1 profile image67
          Hmrjmr1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I was a controller for the black helicopters now I'll have to have them follow you..

1. profile image0

No problem.  Just have them relieve the squadron already on Ghost Watch. lol

1. Hmrjmr1 profile image67
              Hmrjmr1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Might have to change their call sign from "Night Stalkers" to Fan Followers... lol lol

15. jayjay40 profile image67
    jayjay40posted 14 years ago

I know it's only a word change but somehow I don't like follower I much preferred fan. I know it's the phrase they use on Twitter but I thought we were producing articles with more substance than they do on Twitter and therefore it's good to be a fan of someones writing style.

16. Dao Hoa profile image60
    Dao Hoaposted 14 years ago

Jason has a good explanation, but I thought we want to be different, to stand out from the crowd.

Thanks everyone for the laughs. I laughed so hard at some of your posts.

17. janiek13 profile image75
    janiek13posted 14 years ago

Why can't we all just be "friends"?

Actually, I had to go to my profile and look, I didn't even notice.

18. Research Analyst profile image74
    Research Analystposted 14 years ago

Sometimes I feel like there are all these people following me, maybe I am just paranoid! No they really are following me, Gosh!

19. Dao Hoa profile image60
    Dao Hoaposted 14 years ago

Don't you need it for your meds? smile

I like "admirers" too. It sounds so grand!

20. profile image0
    Ghost32posted 14 years ago

ANYTHING but "follower".  I'd be a SIDE-BY-SIDER, maybe...an ACKNOWLEDGER....

Agh-h-h!

21. ragnaworks profile image61
    ragnaworksposted 14 years ago

I still vote for the term "subscriber". It feels the most appropriate I think.

22. Pr0metheus profile image59
    Pr0metheusposted 14 years ago

Fans > Followers... but is it worth getting this pissed off about?

1. Dao Hoa profile image60
      Dao Hoaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Are we that transparent? smile smile smile

23. EYEAM4ANARCHY profile image72
    EYEAM4ANARCHYposted 14 years ago

I don't think it's a big deal, but fan is much better than follower.

24. darkside profile image63
    darksideposted 14 years ago

Fans or Followers, it doesn't really matter. They both mean pretty much the same.

And then there are those that make it meaningless, because they think that famming (fan spamming) is a 'thinking outside of the box' whiz bang amazing promotional technique. But it's not.

And then there are those that take it far too seriously. They bask themselves in the adoration of their swelling fan base, thinking that they're all that but due to the fact that the fammers have made it into a dogs breakfast, not to mention the sockpuppets who fan themselves, it's not all that important.

Maybe I'm being an optimist when I say that one in ten really care about what you've written.

Subscribers might be a more appropriate term, but people subscribing RSS feeds might cause some confusion if it were used.

So fans or followers, it's really no big deal.

25. livelonger profile image87
    livelongerposted 14 years ago

I suppose "follower" conjures images of mindless zombies ready to drink Kool-Aid at their master's behest. For some.

For others, you can follow someone's online output like you would follow a particular sport. Quite a different connotation.

26. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

No it really doesn't matter. But I really don't want to end up in a place that feels like twitter or facebook. That's not a plus for me. I liked HubPages because it felt much less juvenile then a lot of places on the internet. It's one of the reasons that I decided to participate in the forums - which is an internet first for me.

27. cindyvine profile image68
    cindyvineposted 14 years ago

Who really cares?  Fan is short for fanatic and a follower is someone who is not a leader, so whether we are fanatics or sheep, hey, maybe we can be fanatical sheep?

1. profile image0
      zampanoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol
      that was a good one.
      Maybe we're very concerned about what we'd like to look like instead of concentrating in what we should really be. Humans, you know...
      But the choice of the word that will define a hubber who's interested in your work somehow and cares to show it by leaving a visible sign, should be carefully weighted.
      Afterall, in a community of writers, words and semanthics count a lot don't they ?
      Maybe I'm wrong, but the connotations I find for "follower" are negative unless you're sailing in a ship convoy.
      Furthermore, connotations that imply strong leadership like in a sect should be avoided. "follower"... bah !

28. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I signed up to hubpages not twitter. Followers? Yea no I don't think so. fans was so much better and i hope that you guys change it back

29. ThoughtfulSpot profile image70
    ThoughtfulSpotposted 14 years ago

I don't mind "following" someone... as someone mentioned, there are artists whose work I follow, there are certainly sports and teams I follow... Its the term "follower" that I think irks me.  I follow football, but I am not a followER of a particular player.  Saying people "follow" my hubs makes me feel sort of warm and squishy and smiley.  Saying I HAVE FOLLOWERS makes me feel weird and uncomfortable.
    I know its just a word, but really, perhaps we're all so sensitive to it because that's why we're here.  We put a lot of stake in words.

30. lmmartin profile image68
    lmmartinposted 14 years ago

I had a big guffaw when I noticed I now had "followers." I didn't mind having fans, but I'd rather not have followers, thank you very much. Sounds kind of cultish and new-age. Can I please have my fans back?

p.s. The term brings to mind a scene from the "Life of Brian" where Brian turns to his followers and pleads, "Stop following me. Think for yourselves. You are all individuals."

And the crowd chants in unison, "We are all individuals."

manlypoetrymanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"lol That was hilarious!lol"

2. ThoughtfulSpot profile image70
      ThoughtfulSpotposted 14 years agoin reply to this

HA! smile

31. Siotosh profile image61
    Siotoshposted 14 years ago

If everyone  is a fan, then who are the superstars

32. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

even google uses the term, 'follow', with their friend connect application. if you have blogs, sites, etc., it says google follow.  many people use it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)