jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

Apostrophe in URL

1. Inspirepub profile image89
    Inspirepubposted 8 years ago

One for the very technical here ...

Wikipedia have gone and put an apostrophe in the URL of an article I want to link to.

Hubpages drops all of the URL after the apostrophe, and the link doesn't work.

Backslash doesn't work.

&#39 doesn't work.

Anyone got any other ideas?

If all else fails I can make a tiny URL, but I'd rather have a visible Wikipedia link if at all possible.

Thanks in advance,

2. jimmythejock profile image82
    jimmythejockposted 8 years ago

did you use a link capsule or link it in your text capsule?.....jimmy

3. darkside profile image84
    darksideposted 8 years ago

What's the link?

Paste it here so we can kick it around.

4. Inspirepub profile image89

I linked in a text capsule.

It's the link to Dunbar's number in the paragraph just above the photo of the monkey in this Hub:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Web-20-Marketin … Or-Fiction

I now have a workaround for this particular one - someone else obviously had the same problem, went into wikipedia and created a redirect from /dunbars_number to the wiki article at /dunbar's_number.

But for future reference it would be a good thing to have worked out, in case the URL in question is somewhere that you can't create your own redirects.

5. beta1070 profile image61
    beta1070posted 8 years ago

I think Wikipedia's systems create those redirects. Their algo redirects singular to plural, adjust for lower/upper case etc.

6. pauldeeds profile image
    pauldeedsposted 8 years ago

It sounds like there may be a bug on our side.  Handling quotes and apostrophes is always a little tricky, they have to be escaped properly or they have the potential to mess things up.  I'll throw this into our bug queue.

7. Inspirepub profile image89

Thanks, Paul.