Gary McKinnon

1. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 6 years ago

I wrote a hub about this guy. I assume most of the readers here are from the US and therefore you might or might not know what this British guy did. Basically, he hacked into 97 US Defence computers and left a terrorist type message, at a time when the US was on high alert for terrorist activity. At the time of Sept 11, he had downed over 200 US Navy computers.
    He deleted critical operating files among other things, or I should say he is accused of deleting critical operating files, causing a reported $700,000 worth of damage.
    Since he was caught, he has been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome.
    He has now gone through all the appeal courts in the UK, to fight against extradition to the US. He wants to be tried in a British court, not America.
    His next step will be to appeal to the European Court.
    The British Press have got behind him, making the UK government out to be overly subservient to the US, quoting cases where the US have refused to send accused people there for trial, when the Law clearly stated they should.
    I am not going to comment on the validity of this, or the truth of this, only on the the current case, namely the one concerning Gary McKinnon.
    Now the guy is obviously not a terrorist.
    I'm not saying he should be tried as one; but you can't sit in your cosy little house and hack into the top security computers in the world, leave threats, then expect it all to be forgotten with nothing more than a slapped wrist. IMO.
    It would seem from a comment left on my hub, that someone from has found what I wrote, which is my opinion, based on the facts I read online...which I had to search for because the British Press seem to be omitting the facts from their stories.
    There is talk on the link this person sent me about mass demonstrations against this man's extradition.
    What do you think? What does the average American think? I'm interested to know.

2. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 6 years ago

My hub is getting hits from all and sundry outside of hubpages. Hmmm...I fear I am about to get some hate-mail for my opinions. The 'free Gary MyKinnon' brigade are HUGE!!
    Come on, guys, give me your opinions, I can handle the opinions, everyone is entitled to have them.