jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (11 posts)

Duplicate Publications

1. Judy Cullins profile image62
    Judy Cullinsposted 8 years ago

I've already written hundreds of articles online with various websites, but I am now very excited to join the Hubpages community!

The Problem:
    I update my articles frequently, but when I post the revised work on Hubpages, I received duplication flags.

If I want my work just on Hubpages, what would be the best strategy to resolve this?

Thank you!

2. Inspirepub profile image87
    Inspirepubposted 8 years ago

Rewrite the articles until they are sufficiently different to avoid the duplicate penalty.

You can use dupecop.com to find out what percentage different your rewrite is from your original.

3. Marisa Wright profile image92
    Marisa Wrightposted 8 years ago

I often revise or update my Hubs, and have never hit the duplicate filter.  Do you mean something else?  e.g. are you deleting and rewriting your Hubs rather than just editing them?  Or are these articles you've posted elsewhere?

4. Judy Cullins profile image62

These are articles already posted somewhere else that I revised, but do not completely rewrite.

5. Inspirepub profile image87

Sounds like they aren't revised enough to count as something unique.

6. quotations profile image93
    quotationsposted 8 years ago

Another website that you can use to check to see if your hub is too similar to something already published on the web is copyscape.com - it is amazingly good at picking up plagiarized bits of text and I understand that Universities use it to check to see if submitted papers are original. If your hub can pass the copyscape test it will probably not be flagged as duplicate. If copyscape says that the text is too similar, then just keep editing.

7. Judy Cullins profile image62

Thanks for the feedback!

My concern is that I do want to place all my current articles on Hubpages... so, would I need to remove them everywhere else? Is there a better solution?

8. Inspirepub profile image87

HubPages requires original content.

It is probably better for you in the long run to rewrite them and have twice as much material out there than to pull them down from other places so you can post them here.

You can always get someone else to rewrite them, for a small fee, probably only a few dollars, if you really don't want to do it yourself.

1. relache profile image88
      relacheposted 8 years ago in reply to this

HubPages doesn't require original content.  However, they have clearly stated that they reward unique and original content.

9. Jason Menayan profile image61
    Jason Menayanposted 8 years ago

Just to clarify, if you want to promote other sites, then the content must be unique. You can not drop links to sites or affiliate offers on Hubs with copied content (even if it's your own).

You can publish Hubs with unoriginal content if there are no links out from it. But, as relache said correctly, we will not reward them as highly as we do original-content Hubs in terms of HubScore (i.e. they will incur a HubScore penalty).

10. Lissie profile image85
    Lissieposted 8 years ago

I have a variation on this: what is hubpages's view on me re-publishing the text from a hub elsewhere?  So in this case the copy on hubpages will be the "authority:" copy: already indexed, months old etc.  I just want to re-use the material elsewhere.