"Follower" vs. "Fan" equals discrimination on Hubpages.

Jump to Last Post 1-30 of 30 discussions (93 posts)
  1. pylos26 profile image69
    pylos26posted 14 years ago

A follower is a disciple, a member of a flock of sheep (if you will) with religious connotations.

A fan is not a disciple and does not bear religious connotations.

I protest being labeled a “Follower” by Hubpages and demand to be labeled other than “follower”. Fan is suitable.

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Neither makes a difference. It is how each individual reads into it that matters and with that said.....since it was fan and is now follower....if you have that much hatred for religion, I suggest you channel your energy elsewhere, like maybe writing more Hubs, denouncing religion.

Either way, it shouldn't make that big of a difference. The explanation given for the change I accept and I've made the proper adjustment I've needed to. big_smile

2. darkside profile image66
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And where does the 'discrimination' bit come into it?

pylos26posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not a “follower” of blind religion and prefer not to be linked with the term.

1. darkside profile image66

So you find it a derogatory term.

That's still not discrimination.

I respectfully disagree.

Have you been singled out by the use of the term?

Other than "I don't like it" there has to be something about being discriminated against that is based on an action rather than an opinion.

You mentioned that discrimination has been banned in America. Therefore it is illegal. But you really need to back up a claim of discrimination with something more than "it's discrimination".

I may not want to tolerate being arbitrarily labeled as a blind religious “follower” on a public website. It goes to “civil rights” would you like for me to explain civil rights to you?

1. PB_Smith profile image61
                    PB_Smithposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Let me ask, are you into any pro sports? If so do you have a favorite team? If so then you could legitimately be "labeled" a "follower" of that team as well as "fan".
                    In this context though I see no connotation of the term "follower" in HubPages that has any reference whatsoever to your religious affiliations. You need to step back and reassess the way you are interpreting the use of the term "follower" in this context.
                    I feel the term "fan" leads another person to interpret that you agree and support a certain person or idea much more.
                    I'm sure a lot of people "follow" the war in Iraq, but not all of them support it.

2. darkside profile image66

So now it's a violation of your civil rights? LOLOLOL!!!

I'm sure you wouldn't be able to explain civil rights to me, seeing that you've already done a terrible job of convincing anyone that a website changing a word from fan to follower is 'discrimination'.

An opinion is one thing, but when you start throwing around allegations it's another. Mind you, it's outrageous allegations. If you are being discriminated against and your civil rights are being violated, I'm sure there is an appropriate government department that can take a written complaint.

You should really work on being less intolerant.

2. Katelyn Weel profile image91
            Katelyn Weelposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree, I don't see how discrimination comes into this issue at all...?

The perception of discrimination comes into play based upon the notion that the term "follower" is being used in the same context as it would be if it were referring to a person who adheres to a certain religious belief system.
              That is an incorrect understanding of the context of the term "follower" in this instance.
              As I stated before in the context of HP a follower does not necessarily support and agree with the views of a particular hubber, they are merely "following" their activity. A fan has a more supportive connotation to it in the context of the HP.

3. Aya Katz profile image83
      Aya Katzposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Fan derives from fanatic and is related to the word "fane". It most definitely does have a religious connotation.

4. AEvans profile image72
      AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh Pylos, relax if you are on Twitter you are also a follower , if you are not a leader at your job then you are a follower so the word can have multiple meanings not just biblical. smile

Ex: Manager at work (leader) employees: Fans? this would not make any sense, how many employees are fans of there bosses? They are followers same context. big_smile

No, now the politically correct term is "associate" in a retail environment and "co-worker" in most others.
        I prefer the term follower more than fan.
        You can "follow" someone's hub activity and keep up to date on what they publish and still think they are a buffoon worthy of no praise.
        Being a "fan" just doesn't leave that latitude and has the connotation that you agree with and support them. smile

1. AEvans profile image72
          AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I see and agree. smile

5. lilmnstr profile image61
      lilmnstrposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The meaning of a word does not come from the speaker but the listener. It is all in how you interpet the word, not what the speaker (in this case writer) intended it to mean. Therefore if YOU TAKE offense to it, its you with the issue, the offense wasn't given to you.

No, the meaning of a word is the meaning of the word, otherwise communication would not be possible. Read my previous post. The terms "follower" and "fan" most certainly have different meanings.

1. Katelyn Weel profile image91
          Katelyn Weelposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Actually, the meaning of a word really does come from the listener, that's why communication sometimes IS impossible!

Only if the one communicating lacks the needed vocabulary and understanding of contextual modifications of meaning of the words used to convey the intended message. The English language can be very precise through both the definition of the words used and the context in which they are used. Both the situational and structural context can have significant effect on the hearers perception of the message conveyed.
            It is up to the one communicating to use language that conveys the meaning intended.
            Saying the meaning of a word is dependent on the hearer is incorrect.
            The communicator has to use language that is accessible and understandable to their intended audience.
            If that is overlooked then of course the hearer will interpret the message based upon thier vocabulary and comprehension skills.

2. pylos26 profile image69

If you prefer to “slang” that idea around…go for it...But the facts are a word means what it means and the speaker has no duty to insure the listener’s wrong definition or idea of it as long as he has Merriam Webster at his back.

6. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

you are kidding, yes? hmm

I have a low opinion of the term "follower".

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
          rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

well, I wouldn't loose any sleep over it. it's just a term used in social media. smile

2. candice5 profile image58
          candice5posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Same, it conjuers, up all sorts of "Groupie" scenarios.

2. jimmythejock profile image84
    jimmythejockposted 14 years ago

grow up, follower or fan who cares!

1. hublim profile image66
      hublimposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ditto

Is the name really that important?

You are acknowledging the quality of their work and want to follow their progress.

2. profile image0
      L. Andrew Marrposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I care!

I write because I want people to read. You can follow someone and not be interested in their work ('spam fanning' if you will). Fan implies that someone likes your work and follow you because they like your work, not just because you happen to be there.

The followers thing irritates me because I feel like it has taken all my dignity away as a writer. You don't buy a book because you follow the author (after all that is stalking) - you buy a book because you are a fan of that author.

Anyway, everyone's entitled to their different opinions. That is just where I stand.

Although, I have become used to it now so I'm not overly worried anymore.

3. lorlie6 profile image73
      lorlie6posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Agreed.

3. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I liked fan better too. Made me feel special when I read I had so many fans. Now I feel like I am on Twitter and I hate Twitter.

I don't support twitter either...cool response.

1. marinealways24 profile image59
        marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Merry Christmas!

2. profile image0
      lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Totally agree with this Craz. big_smile  Are we like Twitter now?

4. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

You are free to leave pylos. smile

Sir…as I may be grateful for your suggestion…I seem to possess a natural instinct that’s contrary to marxist indoctrinations and concepts. ( and suggestions)

1. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image61
        JYOTI KOTHARIposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are right (and not leftist!)

Thanks,
        Jyoti Kothari

5. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

This is a very, very old discussion. HubPages has explained why the change was necessary and it makes sense. If you want to comment further, please go to the main thread.

1. JYOTI KOTHARI profile image61
      JYOTI KOTHARIposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Where is the main thread? Please post a link.
      Thanks,
      Jyoti Kothari

2. pylos26 profile image69

I'm within the rules of hubpages by posting in the hubbers hangout...
      discrimination is banned in america.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
        Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not against rodents.

Haha...cool

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
        Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I wasn't saying you weren't allowed - I was just saying it was pointless.  This has already been done to death.

Sorry marisa...i'm still protesting. It's part of the democratic process.

3. darkside profile image66

That's the thing though. How is a description of a site feature, be it follower, fan, subscriber or reader, akin to discrimination?

Already answered that question for Darkhorse.

6. starme77 profile image79
    starme77posted 14 years ago

whatever is better for us in the search rankings is better for us and thats my story and I'm stickin to it smile

7. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

Now that they've explained the change and I've seen the Hubfeed and all of that, I get it and it doesn't really matter to me.

8. goldenpath profile image67
    goldenpathposted 14 years ago

I am really not that tall so being called one of the sheep really doesn't sound so bad to me.  Just kidding!  The term doesn't matter to me as it still serves the same function.  If we begin to disect and pick at the smallest of details we may wind up curtailing our own individual progress in whatever our pursuits on HP whether literary or monetary - or both.

9. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

I believe sheep are at most, agnostic.

1. profile image0
      Denno66posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Says you.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
        Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, didn't mean to speak for ALL sheep.

10. Aya Katz profile image83
    Aya Katzposted 14 years ago

The dictionary, actually.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The dictionary says all sheep are agnostic?

11. Katelyn Weel profile image91
    Katelyn Weelposted 14 years ago

Well fan means FANATIC... so what's really the difference?

12. alexandriaruthk profile image60
    alexandriaruthkposted 14 years ago

it is just the same, fan or follower,

I trust HP is doing everything for the betterment of this site too,

13. thisisoli profile image73
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

I couldn't give two of the proverbial.  Fans, Followers, it's given a specific connotation by Hubpages.

14. pylos26 profile image69

Sorry...
    darkside.

15. zadrobi profile image60
    zadrobiposted 14 years ago

A follower is a flattering yet non-existent stalker.

16. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Feeding trolls Glen? Uh-oh lol

I had no idea.

I just noticed that Uninvited Writer also thought that the thread wasn't serious.

I guess we should stop asking questions, or otherwise the OP might want to charge us with homicide.

17. jessicab profile image61
    jessicabposted 14 years ago

Have anyone found out the reason the name fan was changed to follower.

18. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I thought you were joking...

I think you are taking things way too seriously. There are many definitions of follower...

19. readytoescape profile image61
    readytoescapeposted 14 years ago

Given the below definitions and alternatives I prefer the use of the term Fan, if given only the choice of the two. However, that most of us are more individualist and once we have “Fanned” someone we merely stating we hold an interest to be advised of new work that may be produced by those that we have chosen as potentially interesting.

Find a word that defines the above and that’s what term should be applied. 

Follower:

Definition: person who believes or has great interest

Synonyms:

addict, adherent, admirer, advocate, apostle, attendant, backer, believer, bootlicker, buff, client, cohort, companion, convert, copycat, devotee, disciple, fan, fancier, freak*, habitué, hanger-on, helper, imitator, lackey, member, minion, parasite, participant, partisan, patron, promoter, proselyte, protégé, pupil, representative, satellite, sectary, servant, sidekick, stooge, supporter, sycophant, toady, vassal, votary, worshiper, zealot 

Fan:

Definition: person enthusiastic about an interest

Synonyms: addict, adherent, admirer, aficionado, amateur, buff, devotee, follower, freak*, groupie, habitué, hound, lover, rooter, supporter, votary, zealot 

Personally for the reason stated above I don’t really like either of the options.

Do you see apostle or disciple mentioned in the definition of “fan as you do in “follower”?

1. readytoescape profile image61
        readytoescapeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don’t see anything in the definitions with religious connotation at all. The words disciple, apostle, worshiper are all synonymous with all the other words. Whether they be applied to political, social, economic or any other association. Any other such definition with religious connotations you have added and its meaning is one that only applies to your personal interpretation of that word.

But none of those words provides equity to the definition of the actions we are discussing as I described. So if your intention is for me to agree to your interpretation, I do not.

20. brimancandy profile image79
    brimancandyposted 14 years ago

So I guess pylos26, you, would be stuck in Oz with the munchkins, because you didn't want to follow the yellow brick road. because you would be considered a follower?

You're never going to get to the emerald city with that attitude! You would be letting everyone who follows you down!
    Sorry tin man, Lion, and the scarecrow. I will never meet you, because I can't be a follower. And, you certainly can't follow me. Because then you would be followers too! I hate you all!!!

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

21. pylos26 profile image69

I consider myself pretty tolerant listening to you rant.

Let us know how you go with your civil rights protest.

2. candice5 profile image58
      candice5posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nice, to realise that I am not the only one that feels as you do. You certainly are tolerant.

22. pylos26 profile image69

Just asking a simple question...and you don't see an religious connotation in the words disciple and apostle?

hubbers are taking this thread way way too seriously anyway.

I have many times heard and read those words used with a religous connotation, but I have also heard and seen them used in the other scenerios I described. Are you suggesting the associations for other words can only be used in one format.

For example the word "convert", can it only mean one that changed from one religion to another, or could it be, for example, that a liberal progressive became enlightened and educated to the facts of real life and choose to convert to conservatism.

1. blue dog profile image62
        blue dogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

in your opinion, of course, what are "the facts of real life"???

Ah the progressives have arrived. I shall allow you to continue the conversation along the anti-religious vain, though I was only discussing the actual definitions of the two words.

That you are asking the question however seems to demonstrate you are of the of the liberal progressive crowd and the entitlement strain, and either recipient of or supporter for and/or happily advancing the cause of redistribution of wealth.

Not knowing you, other than the information in your profile, my bet is recipient now or at some point, via academia and/or endowment for the arts or both, but again that is just a guess. If my guess is incorrect, well, oops, sorry.

Interestingly you only entered the conversation when I proposed a hypothetical example of conversion, like that's impossible. I assume the standard liberal ridicule will be your next retort.

actually, you brought up the facts of life, i only asked for a clarification.

regarding the "liberal progressive crowd" you refer to, i don't hang with crowds.  kind of funny about that, free thinker and all.  there is no such thing as entitlement.  anything i have been the "recipient" of came through effort and hard work. that includes working my way thru college.  twice.  so yeah, oops. 

i look at the "redistribution of wealth" that you speak of more along the lines of a transfer of cash from the working class to the elite.  i guess it could be a redistribution of sorts. 

regarding these forums, you or i or anyone else can enter into any discussion whenever we feel like it, as the set-up currently stands.  when i enter into this discussion is totally irrelevant to the question asked.

23. pylos26 profile image69

Seems I may have kicked up a hornet’s nest and the attention of possible a pre-law student arguing an imaginary case.

Most attention I’ve had in days.

And perhaps you should check profiles before spouting, though I am not surprised about the attention statement considering the content thus far. Forgive me for thinking you might have had something intellegent to debate. Sometimes relative boredom drives one to make poor choices. Have a nice night.

Wow...you seem extremely intelligent...perhaps a mind reading tent would suit you as well.

24. readytoescape profile image61
    readytoescapeposted 14 years ago

I must say though, political opinions aside. I have visited your hubs before this conversation and find your work quite talented.

thank you.  i'm glad the passion comes thru in the work.

25. xboxps3wow profile image40
    xboxps3wowposted 14 years ago

I say, WHO CARES?

Follow me and I will follow you smile

26. cindyvine profile image69
    cindyvineposted 14 years ago

what difference does it make?  Both start with an 'F'

1. lorlie6 profile image73
      lorlie6posted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

27. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago
    1. earnestshub profile image79
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

They said it so well I just went to the link and listened to it to the end. smile Thanks UW that was great! smile

1. wyanjen profile image70
        wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

smile thanks UW. smile

So peaceful and happy...
        HP theme song contender? lol

(I do still prefer fan. But I'm much more mellow about it now. See the power of Genesis?)

2. blue dog profile image62

uw,

you're giving our ages away.

28. Cris A profile image60
    Cris Aposted 14 years ago

Or maybe we're giving the word too much thought and thereby ascribing more meanings to it when we know for a fact what the term means in the context of HP's usage of it. cool

And who cares if it's so much like Twitter? It's not as if they invented the word cool

29. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I just think that it would have been a bit more fair if hubpages had let us vote on the change...

I agree with you Crazd and thanks.

30. Len Cannon profile image89
    Len Cannonposted 14 years ago

you are all welcome to join my cult. discrimination? Yeesh. We should all be so lucky if this is the type of "discrimination" we face in every day life.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)