jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (10 posts)

Interesting article about Google in the UK...

1. profile image0
    ryankettposted 7 years ago

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009 … ration-tax

Perhaps interesting for UK members, apparently the UK is responsible for 14% of Google's advertising revenue and is the companies second largest market!

I know, I'm a geek lol

1. Mark Knowles profile image61
      Mark Knowlesposted 7 years ago in reply to this

big_smile

Barbeque and barbecue. Google UK is my third biggest source of traffic. All in the spelling........

2. profile image0
      cosetteposted 7 years ago in reply to this

smile

actually, that is great. i have seen several UK hubbers ask questions and feel bad 'cause i don't know what to tell them.

2. WriteAngled profile image91
    WriteAngledposted 7 years ago

Perhaps this gives more weight to the question of why it is not possible to use amazon.co.uk affiliate codes as well as amazon.com here. Being in the UK myself, if I do see an ad for an interesting book on a hub or elsewhere, there is no way I am going to buy it from amazon.com and pay extra postage.

That sounds as though you feel it is hubpages decision?

I have no idea about that - but if it is and you have an account at amazon.com and amazon.uk - why not set up another user account for the UK articles?

1. WriteAngled profile image91
        WriteAngledposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I trawled through various forum discussions on this, and it's my understanding that co.uk affiliate codes don't work with the Amazon capsule.

2. profile image0
      ryankettposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I dont think that this thread really relates to that topic at all since they are completely different companies lol but I have long advocated the introduction of a capsule that works with UK affiliate codes. Some of my articles, such as those about the England World Cup 1966 Squad, are highly targetted towards UK traffic...

1. WriteAngled profile image91
        WriteAngledposted 7 years ago in reply to this

They are separate companies indeed. That is why, if google.co.uk is driving significant numbers to HP, the opportunitiy to benefit from the amazon.co.uk affiliate scheme would be useful. The only reason I applied to amazon.com alone was that I discovered this was the only affiliate programme that works with the amazon capsule.

Did you ask hubpages?

team@hubpages.com

2. profile image0
          ryankettposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Yes you are quite correct, Amazon.com codes are the only ones which work on hubpages as they are seperate businesses, and I have started a thread on this before. That article, when it refers to the UK as being the second largest market, is actually based on the amount of money UK businesses spend on Advertising through google. So 14% of the money spent on Adwords is spent by UK businesses, not necessarily all targeted at UK traffic.

Do you have Google Analytics? That will tell you precisely where your traffic comes from, I manage to attract about 20% of my traffic from the UK. Some American hubbers will probably not manage 5% due to localised topics, but there is most certainly a market there for hubpages which UK hubbers like you and me could exploit in a way that American hubbers could not.... so I do agree that a seperate Amazon.co.uk capsule is a great idea and potentially of great benefit to hubpages.

In fact there are even UK products which I feel I could sell to the US market, I have found that quite a bit!

working