jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Proving originality to Google

1. 0
    Audreveaposted 6 years ago

I should preface this by saying it's a 'for instance' & not something I'm actually dealing with right now.

I realise that the minute I start actively promoting my hubs, I open the door to people copying my content. What I was wondering is how experienced hubbers usually go about proving to Google that they are the original author.

I tend to write straight into the capsule, so I'm thinking maybe that process needs to change (i.e. have a saved PDF somewhere first?)

Many thanks for any tips you can give

1. Mark Knowles profile image60
      Mark Knowlesposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Google is quite capable of determining what was published on the internet when - and will usually discard that in favor of whichever one is likely to generate the most income for them, is published on the most authoritative site or has the most high quality incoming links. wink

Call me cynical if you will.

Off line is another question.

2. Marisa Wright profile image93
    Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago

Audrevea, the nice thing about HubPages is that you will get a warning if someone copies your work, and even tells you where it appears so you can go after them.

Your Hub has a date when it was published, so you don't need any other evidence.

1. seotrainingclub profile image59
      seotrainingclubposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Wow I didn't know that ! Thnaks for sharing smile

3. 0

Well that's a relief. Thanks Mark / Marisa - will proceed without fear!

1. Hmrjmr1 profile image79
      Hmrjmr1posted 6 years ago in reply to this

All the above being true I would also recommend you write your article in a program like word or whatever Word processor you prefer and copy and paste it into the capsules. This also gives you a backup copy that is file dated for origination and updates. Happy Hubbing smile

4. 0

It makes sense to have a back up copy - good idea.

It would also make sense to back up the computer occasionally ... hmmm..

5. johnr54 profile image70
    johnr54posted 6 years ago

While Mark's comment probably assigns too much malice to an unthinking computer algorithm, he's right in that the algorithms will assign the best rank based on its normal rankings based on links and Page Rank. 

It's not like there is an ownership flag they have in the ranking algorithm.  And who are you going to prove this to, has anyone ever contacted a human at Google to discuss their ranking?

Besides, first to publish on the web doesn't necessarily establish ownership, as an example look up the Bible or the Magna Carta.

The good news is that when you are publishing on Hubpages, the odds are quite good that you will naturally outrank anyone who is going about plagiarizing other folks work.  People who are doing that are usually burning through domains and are gone after a few months.