jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (14 posts)

How important are Videos and picture capsules in your hubs?

1. OregonWino profile image84
    OregonWinoposted 7 years ago

I have usually put a few pictures into my hubs, but other than aesthetics, for most of the topics I am writing about there do not add much to the page.  I was wondering how important they are.  Also, I was  wondering if anyone uses videos much and if they find they help in any way?

Thank you!!

2. G Miah profile image82
    G Miahposted 7 years ago

I use quite a few pictures for some of my hubs depending on what they're about. If you check some of mine out, you will notice the entertainment ones and About Him stories promote pictures, because it adds to the visual side of the stories.

You should experiment and see what works for you.

3. mistyhorizon2003 profile image90
    mistyhorizon2003posted 7 years ago

My personal opinion is that pictures are great, they break up a hub and make it easier on the eye (and the attention span of most readers), videos however, I seldom watch on other people's hubs and haven't really got the time to, so my ideal would be a hub with lots of paragraphs, well spelt and grammatically correct, enough pictures to keep it bright and interesting, but no videos unless they are really relevant and gripping from the start.

OregonWinoposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Cool, That is what I was thinking as well.  I really never look at videos unless it is on youtube and then it is because I have gone there specifically to find them.  I will continue to use pictures.

Thanks everyone!

4. blue dog profile image80
    blue dogposted 7 years ago

can't help you out on the video bit, misty's take seems logical.

i use photographs extensively.

5. sunforged profile image63
    sunforgedposted 7 years ago

the likely purpose of the video suggestion is to increase page view duration, the longer your visitors stay on your page "reading" the better you are ranked against other articles with all other factors being similar

6. Ivorwen profile image83
    Ivorwenposted 7 years ago

I use videos when they are relevant, and appreciate how-to and slide show videos on others hubs.  If the video will improve the quality of your hub, by all means, include it.  If it just repeats what you have already said or takes things off track, skip it.

Do any of you make your own videos to post?

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image90
        mistyhorizon2003posted 7 years ago in reply to this

Only did it once so far, and that was on "How to pick a crab in 5 minutes", hope to add a few others on relevant topics soon such as my cruise around Cape Horn / South America. Otherwise, no, not necessary.

Awesome!  Thank you

2. Ivorwen profile image83
        Ivorwenposted 7 years ago in reply to this

I haven't, but Fedda Babbley and Tom Cornett have made several of their own videos.

7. yoshi97 profile image88
    yoshi97posted 7 years ago

I think pictures and videos help greatly to convey your point

8. camlo profile image84
    camloposted 7 years ago

If I write a Hub on music, I give the reader the opportunity of hearing the music I'm writing about by using videos.

As far as my other Hubs (short stories) are concerned, I just use the pictures to break them up and make them look more appealing.

9. viryabo profile image87
    viryaboposted 7 years ago

Due to the nature of my topics, i have to have pictures and one or two relevant youtube videos in most of my hubs. I am quite happy using both as they split up the writing and convey my messages better. Plus they make my hubs look friendly and easy to read.
    Cant really do without these 2 capsules.

working