jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

Is This Driving Anyone Else Crazy?

1. sabrebIade profile image82
    sabrebIadeposted 7 years ago

Every time I check my comments (they are all moderated thank goodness) I have bunches of these U*G boot spam comments!
    I know HP can't really do anything to stop it, but I bet I have deleted 15 to 20 today alone.
    BTW, I put in U*G so they wouldn't get any free publicity.

2. EmpressFelicity profile image81
    EmpressFelicityposted 7 years ago

I had my first ever U*g spam comment today.  I was an U*g spam virgin until now LOL.  I deleted them forever.

3. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 7 years ago

Have you reported it as spam to Hubpages, so that they know about this spammer?

1. EmpressFelicity profile image81
      EmpressFelicityposted 7 years ago in reply to this

No but I will next time.

4. relache profile image85
    relacheposted 7 years ago

Be sure to mark those comments as spam before you delete them.  This helps the system identify spam and repeated system spammers wind up having their comments never show.

If people who aren't signed-in to the system keep spamming you, consider making comments for site users only, as that will then force the most-determined spammers to sign up, which in turn then makes the system able to track and block them.

I haven't seen any spam in my comments, but when I went to see what's been caught by the system by the spam filter, there were a bunch which tells me if you mark spam as such, the system really does work.

5. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 7 years ago

Got one too URGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!! lol

6. sabrebIade profile image82
    sabrebIadeposted 7 years ago

I have been marking them as spam.
    And some are even registered as HP members!

1. Glenn Stok profile image95
      Glenn Stokposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Even though I disabled outsiders from commenting, I do notice that I still get spam from Hubbers now. I click to their profile to see what's going on and usually find that they just registered within 24 hours and have a bunch of hubs already.

Looking closer I see that they have backlinks in their profile and in their hubs. And their low Hubber score gives it away that they are spamming. So when I'm sure, I click "flag this page" and complete the form for HubPages to review.

working