jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

can the reply and quote functions be separated for posts?

1. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 7 years ago

In a lot of the threads I read, people hit quote/reply and there's no reason to be quoting anything based on their comment.  And often with inappropriate URL posts, these then get reproduced throughout the thread, which I'm guessing makes more work for the forum mods when it comes to URL snipping.  No one seems to notice the singular reply button that's at the bottom of threads, or they are replying right from where they decide to jump into the conversation.

To cut down on meaningless repetition all around, can the quote and reply functions that appear with posts be separated into two functions instead of being together?

For example, in posts there are quote/reply, report and permalink buttons.

Can it be changed to reply, quote, report and permalink instead?

2. pauldeeds profile image
    pauldeedsposted 7 years ago

We're already working on this, as well as a threaded view (with no quoting) that should make it easier to follow conversations.

1. Haunty profile image85
      Hauntyposted 7 years ago in reply to this

The threaded view sounds exciting. It would be nice to still have an option to switch back to flat view in case someone is more comfortable with this more conventional approach.

1. pauldeeds profile image
        pauldeedsposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Yes, we plan to allow people to use both -- at least for a while.  Here's an idea what it might look like.  Yoni and James are just putting the finishing touches on it now, it should be ready sometime next week.

http://hubpages.com/u/2339832.jpg

3. relache profile image88

Bravo!  Thanks for the update, Paul.

1. Mikel G Roberts profile image88
      Mikel G Robertsposted 7 years ago in reply to this

Bravo indeed.

4. relache profile image88

You know, Paul, when you said it was a feature that was being worked on, I never guessed that meant it would be up and running three hours later.

Fantastic!

5. Haunty profile image85
    Hauntyposted 7 years ago

It's great. And it's going to be a big change for forum users, because the last poster's post doesn't come last and people will complain a lot about not noticing new posts. But it's an improvement in other ways, I think. Thanks.

working