My first hub - Yipee!! - pleeease tell me what you think

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (13 posts)
  1. SandraMead profile image69
    SandraMeadposted 16 years ago

It's very ambitious for a first hub and I'd really, really welcome any suggestions for improvement. Thanks smile

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Business-Pl … ness-Plans

2. gamergirl profile image86
    gamergirlposted 16 years ago

Kinda reminds me of

http://coursemain.ee.ukzn.ac.za/enel4eb … _plans.htm

You may want to differ your text from your research sources more.

1. Greg from Maine profile image60
      Greg from Maineposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Gamergirl, My opinion is that you are being a little harsh. I read both texts and they are completely different.

This is a good hub.

2. profile image0
      terrygposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Nice one Gamergirl

3. livelonger profile image87
    livelongerposted 16 years ago

I think it's terrific - a thumbs-up! Great job on your first hub.

4. SandraMead profile image69

Thanks for your comments.

5. Rik Ravado profile image87
    Rik Ravadoposted 16 years ago

Sandra, great hub, well written, loads of external links, useful info and good use of visuals and capsule layout - brilliant first hub.

You might consider adding some links to other hubs (if there are any that are relevant).  If you are motivated by Adsense earning you could add a tracker to Hub links so you get additional revenue. 

You might also consider splitting it into 2 parts because there is so much good material.  This way you get the traffic boast of a new hub twice.  Also you get twice the advertising.  With a long hub the advertising tends to appear mainly at the beginning so arguably very long Hubs are less efficient in terms of revenue earning.

Well Done!

6. SandraMead profile image69

Actually, I didn't use that page as a research source, but will have a look to see if the content is similar. gamergirl/terryg, I would appreciate some input on what text you thought was the same.

Rik, thanks for your great suggestions. I will add the tracker and maybe start a new hub to move some paras from here.

Greg, thanks for your kind words.

7. gamergirl profile image86

Greg, Sandra,

When I selected the first paragraph and placed it in a google window as I often do when folks come on the forum and their first post is about their first hub, google returned a couple of results which matched a majority of the text to the sample I took.

Now, I admit I didn't look through the rest of the hub, because the first paragraph sold me on it's likely spinning from the link I provided above.  This reaction is, of course, due to the number of posts we see come across the forum with "Hey look at my new hub, it's my first I hope you like it" which contain nothing but barely reorganized information from a pay site of some sort or any other random spam you can think of.

It was most definitely not a judgement against Sandra personally, but more a head's up.

8. SandraMead profile image69

The first para is a definition of Business Plans. With any definition of Business Plans some terms like forecasts, objectives, management etc are present. I dare say that there are several other sites that seem to share that common text with my original definition. Unless you state otherwise, I'll take it that you don't see any duplication in the rest of this hub.

But thanks for your comments anyway. I'm sorry your experience with other new hubbers wasn't brilliant.

9. Mind-ing for Gold profile image59
    Mind-ing for Goldposted 16 years ago

Hi Sandra - I too just posted my first hub. I went to visit yours (great info btw) and noticed that you have the same paragraph twice;

"The startup costs for an online business are also often very small. This may mean that your own investment in the startup is minimal. Presented the wrong way, this might make it difficult for anyone reading the business plan to take you seriously. If you put down "Computer in my bedroom" when listing the company's capital resources, it can be tricky to avoid sounding like a unprofessional wannabe. Through confidence and artful use of language, though, you can overcome this difficulty."

Thought you might like to know.

Here's to great Success,
    ~Schelli
    http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Power-of-a-Vision-Board

10. gamergirl profile image86

Sandra -

I used this page this morning to compare, the site I linked above versus your page.

http://www.webconfs.com/similar-page-checker.php

But either way, I'm glad to see a non-hostile response.  It was not my aim to seem mean in my initial posting.

Welcome to Hubpages, and enjoy!

11. SandraMead profile image69

Mind-ing for gold, well spotted and I'm obliged. I've made the correction.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)