Can you refer your own traffic?

1. darkside profile image84
    darksideposted 9 years ago

I'm aware of the stance of HubPages Inc in relation to not referring yourself for signing up extra HubPages accounts, but what about when we link to our hubs at other sites?

So as to be sure that the tracking kicks in as soon as they land on my page I had been using a tracking code. For the purposes of snaring a sign-up, rather than getting an extra 9% to 12% in pageviews.

How does HubPages Inc feel about this 'tactic'?

1. pauldeeds profile image
      pauldeedsposted 9 years ago in reply to this

Using a tracker when linking from other sites is more than just all right, it is encouraged.  The intent of the affiliate program is to reward our users that bring in new authors or traffic, and posting links on other sites is one of the best ways to do that.

Just one caveat--we do not condone any kind of "link spamming" and will take appropriate action against authors that engage in that kind of practice (it hasn't happened yet).  Just be sure to follow the rules (and unwritten rules) of whatever site that you are posting a link to and you should be all right.

Addendum -- Using affiliate trackers in submissions to a social bookmarking site is against the rules of most, and not a good idea in general since they use the URL to identify unique stories.  Using a tracker in the comment section of a story may be all right, check with the rules of each site.

1. darkside profile image84
        darksideposted 9 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for the clarification.

Also something to note for people who use wikipedia or think about using it to post links, don't.

If anyone feels that they have something to add in the way of content to a wikipedia article, especially by linking their hubpages, then it'd be best mentioned in the 'discussion' page of the article. And leaving it to the more experienced (and viciously loyal) wikipedians to decide whether or not the content or link falls within their accepted guidelines.