Follow me? I follow you!

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (28 posts)
  1. Alessia Amnesia profile image60
    Alessia Amnesiaposted 14 years ago

Eh, I'd rather have followers because they find my writing interesting, not because we're exchanging favors. Good luck though!

1. Richieb799 profile image76
      Richieb799posted 14 years agoin reply to this

yeah it pees me off,I dont always add everyone who adds me because I forget, I like to have time to see if their work interests me..someone deleted me off their following list earlier, pee'd me off, its like they were expecting an add as a favour

the fact we are now called 'followers' is a similarity to twitter lol

1. Arthur Fontes profile image75
        Arthur Fontesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree and on twitter no return follow would be an insult to most.

2. Pamela N Red profile image83
      Pamela N Redposted 14 years agoin reply to this

We don't all have the same taste in subjects. I don't expect people to add me just because I added them.

2. Sa Toya profile image85
    Sa Toyaposted 14 years ago

Do it the old fashion way...hard work and good writing.

I want followers that genuinely follow!

You should to

big_smile

You've got a lot of fans already and good content

3. Dale Mazurek profile image63
    Dale Mazurekposted 14 years ago

Just like AE said.  I have never asked for a fan.

Just keep writing and participate in a positive manor and the fans will come.

Also remember that fans are great, neat, fun and all that but any experienced Hubber will tell you that you wont make much money off of fans. 

You want outside traffic if you are looking for moolah.

You have great talent so just use it to write and be active and you will see the fans add up.

Cheers

Dale

4. Dao Hoa profile image61
    Dao Hoaposted 14 years ago

Read and leave comments on hubs you read will help too.

5. waynet profile image69
    waynetposted 14 years ago

Having followers is all well and good, but are they interested in what you have to say?, I bet with all of my 680+ followers, only a small handful of them actually read my hubpages, because I know some just follow you so that you have to follow them back, but I don't do that anymore!

Just write stuff you like and the traffic will come from the outside of hubpages, because that's what you really want, not followers! although followers are nice, but not essential!

6. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

My strategy for getting followers, Step one, Write a hub with as much skill as I am able. Step two, add a few pictures or other relevant content (videos etc). Step three, hit the publish button. This usually works for one or two fans. For more fans, repeat from step one big_smile

1. Sa Toya profile image85
      Sa Toyaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

big_smile Good Plan!

7. darkside profile image66
    darksideposted 14 years ago

Here's the score:

It would seem that starting a thread begging for followers (panhandling for fans) is a good way to get your post deleted.

1. KCC Big Country profile image83
      KCC Big Countryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Would that make it "fan-handling"? or does that sound too dirty?

maybe a Fanaddict

8. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Panhandling lol too cute, DS, lol

9. Lady Guinevere profile image68
    Lady Guinevereposted 14 years ago

Darkside,  They do this on social networks like Facebook and their gmaes and this is just what this HubPages have become to look like--just another social network like Facebook.  We aren't different anymore so they don't think we are and do these things.  I wouldn't blame it all on them.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Lady G, HubPages is not a social networking site.  It's true some of the forums have started to look like one, but that's no reason why HubPages should accept some users trying to change the fundamental nature of the site.  Any business wants to maintain its point of difference.

I agree it's not appropriate to "have a go" at people when they make these suggestions, because the way the site is now, it's easy to make that misunderstanding.  However there's no reason we can't put them right on the matter, in a nice way.

10. elayne001 profile image78
    elayne001posted 14 years ago

I am confused. Don't tell me that the only way you got followers if by posting a hub and then waiting for them to come to you. I hardly even have time to read anyone else's hub. I thought we were supposed to be active in the forums and follow other people we thought were interesting. I watch the hubtivity and it seems that is how most people get their followers is by following someone. Tell me the truth here.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You're partly right.  You need good material if you want other Hubbers to follow you, but they won't know you exist unless you're active in the forums, comment on their Hubs and join a few fan clubs.  But your HubScore actually gets penalised if you follow too many people.

11. ShivParvathi profile image61
    ShivParvathiposted 14 years ago

Haha, Me too thought the same,
    As Follow me and I'll follow you,
    Now I've changed the mind,
    What's the point in adding the count in No of followers.
    If you have a single follower who is interested in your hub, its worth than 100 followers who are just to increase the No of followers.
    I think there is no use in it.

12. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

asking for a fan feels like a beggar wanting some change.  Degrading to beg, and loss of respect.

You wouldn't have any spare change would you? LOL

2. tobey100 profile image61
      tobey100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not to mention you're gonna sound wimpy and desperate.  And....while we're on the subject, any of ya'll want to follow me??? I could use the fans cause I AM wimpy and desperate. wink

1. RedElf profile image91
        RedElfposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Check out the Olympic HubNuggets hub, friend - you'd be a natural for the Moose-Mushing event! wink Welcome, tobey - love the scarf!

1. tobey100 profile image61
          tobey100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Will do and thanks.  The scarf was a gift from my mother.

13. RedElf profile image91
    RedElfposted 14 years ago

I have had a number of friend requests on Facebook from people I have never met - no clue how they found me, but they seem to expect me to add them. I have had new fans on Hub Pages say up front that they look forward to the return favor of my becoming their fan in return.

I only ever became the fan of people whose work I wanted to read, but I used to fan people back who fanned me because I thought that's how it was supposed to be done. Fortunately, I was quickly educated, before the email blitz grew too large.

Now I only join people whose work I enjoy, and want to read more of. It has cost me some fans (quite a few, actually) who dropped me when I didn't join them back, but so be it. People will eventually learn how it is here if they hang around and keep their eyes, ears, and minds open big_smile

14. efeguy profile image40
    efeguyposted 14 years ago

keep writing what you know best,fans ,followers will come,you don't need to beg for it

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)