jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Need help with editing a hub please...

1. wyanjen profile image86
    wyanjenposted 6 years ago

I didn't put my exact problem in the title here because there is no doubt my question would be misunderstood if I did smile

I need to duplicate one of my hubs.
    Is there a way to make an exact copy of a single hub?

One of my hubs is being broken into two separate hubs. They'll be in different groups. The content will be unique for each. I'm not trying to duplicate the content.
    I spent a good hour formatting this one and I'm trying to avoid starting from scratch. I had a hard time with it tongue

I'm thinking the answer is going to be no. But I'm hoping...

Part 2: If the answer is no, is it possible to transfer a capsule from one hub to another?

Before I dive in to this monster, I want to be sure there isn't a way to transfer elements without having to re-create them. Many of the capsules will be unchanged once I move them to the new hub.

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Sorry, I think the answer is no. sad

You could open each Hub in a separate browser window and copy and paste the text from one to another, but you can't copy and paste a whole capsule. 

When you start the new Hub, you could use the original as your template, so at least you have all the elements in the right places.

wyanjenposted 6 years ago in reply to this

neutral I looked all around the help forums & what-not before I posted here, so I was expecting a big fat NO.

If I had spent that much time re-creating it from scratch, and THEN found out there is a way to do it, I would have to go ahead and throw something.
        Thanks Marisa smile

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
          Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Presumably that coffee cup - yes, I know what you mean!

I suppose it's not a feature HubPages are likely to introduce, because it would make it too easy for spammers to churn out multiple lookalike Hubs.

wyanjenposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You're not kidding about that. There are all kinds of problems from that kind of feature, now that I think about it.

My first rule - that I teach when I'm training, and insist on in my department - is to gather ALL the elements of a project, dupe them, and archive the originals. Always work from a copy. After so many years, I'm a little OCD about it.

Phew. Alrighty then, off I go. See you in several hours...
            lol lol

2. Cagsil profile image83
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

Hey Jen,

I hope this helps. I work on Hubs, meaning all the writing required for it, inside one capsule.

Then, when I am getting read to break it down, I copy only certain parts to put into capsules.

So, Yes, you can copy text from one capsule to another. I do it regularly when making Hubs.

Can you create a duplicate Hub? You defeated your question, by phrasing your question as you have. Yes, I understand the content will be different. Therefore, how is it a duplicate hub?

3. wyanjen profile image86
    wyanjenposted 6 years ago

Howdy smile

I do 100% of the writing in a word processor, then paste the copy into capsules as I build the page. So, I always have a the hub's copy saved on my drive.

The purpose of duplicating the hub is to maintain the layout. This is how I work with print layouts.

Once the hub is duplicated, I would only need to remove the content that will remain in the first hub. And of course then add the new parts.

Basically, dupe it and then cut out the parts that don't belong.

It is the actual layout I'm trying to preserve. It was a complete PITA for me, but I really like how it turned out. smile

I realize I can copy the layout style when I create a new hub. I used so many capsules in it though, that it would be easier to start from scratch unless I can move the content intact.