why am i always angry?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (68 posts)
  1. chinweike profile image59
    chinweikeposted 14 years ago

Couple of hours ago, a friend of mine asked me a question that threw me into thinking for a while he asked "chinweike, why is it is that i always find myself struggling to be happy?"

I became short of words and simply told him to try and be happy.

Now, fellow hubbers, what do you suggest i tell him?

Tanx a lot in anticipation!

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

tell him to have to think positively and only he can find happiness for himself, and try not to be frustrated and learn to accept things as they are and do things in the direction he wants himslef to be, and most of all smile and socialize with happy people

chinweikeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The word 'positive thinking' is what he never want to hear.
        As for smiling, i think i will sell this idea to him. Thanks

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63
          prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

does he have a gf?

Yes, a pretty one for that matter. I even sometimes wish i could have her for a night! hehehe LOL!

2. profile image0
      shazwellynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

ok.. start with the physical..

Nutrition... lots of fruit and veg.  Little alcohol or none. exercise regime.  4oz of meat a day.  All these promote well being.

Psychological...  Is there some unhappiness or issues from childhood.  Did he feel rejected and bad as a child.  When did this stem?

Environmental...  basic need (Maslow)... Has he enough money to live, A job? relationship?   a safe roof place to live?

Health.. is he in pain or have any health issues.

Somewhere amongst this list lies the unhappiness or a start to get to the route of wellbeing.

I hope this helps and some challenging comments are always welcome! x

3. DogSiDaed profile image59
      DogSiDaedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Is there something he feels is holding him back? Is there something he wants to do? Getting hobbies always helped me, a busy mind can't be upset so much smile

Sometimes it can be integral, hormone imbalances and such can cause an individual to become more susceptible to depression, so if nothing helps him, then perhaps he could get checked for a hormon deficiency.

4. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Maybe he's just a serious-minded person?   Nothing wrong with that either....

But i watch him go down every day

5. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i have no idea why a friend asking a simple question like that would make you angry.

I wasn't angry just short of words and wanted to get the opinion of fellow hubbers

6. prosmentor profile image60
      prosmentorposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Let him give his life to Jesus Christ, the only source of Joy.

Ok! i will surely tell him that, but how do i make him believe this since he is a bit on the doubting side?

2. profile image54
        rialeeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOLOL ok thats your believe but what if this person is a non-believer like me... I am happy and Pagan.

2. tantrum profile image61
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

Maybe he's looking for happiness in the wrong direction.

Ok! I have noted this

3. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

He needs to surround himself with happy. Stay away from doom and gloom and biting sorrow as much as possible. If ya wanna be happy, hang with it.

I agree with you. I was even thinking of telling him that. thanks

4. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Happiness starts with a internal audit of oneself before able to find happiness with others. hmm

You sound like an auditor. Are you one? LOL!

I have equally noted your reply. thanks

2. earnestshub profile image81
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I believe this is sound advice. smile

Yes, I agree

5. profile image0
    Denno66posted 14 years ago

Some people are just predisposed to being angry and/or sad and happiness is the rare exception to the rule.

1. profile image0

Maslow's hieracay of needs is about achieving self actualisation i.e. happiness.  He does say  that it isnt sustainable and you go through spells of self actualisation, so I think half of what you say is right.  However, if you can identify aspects in life, you can correct them and stack the odds of happiness in your favour.

For example, happiness is marred if you are in pain or you lost your job.. all this relates to maslow.

What do you think my bb? x

1. profile image0
        Denno66posted 14 years agoin reply to this

You mean I can blame Maslow for my losing my job? lol All kidding aside, I was referring to a report a Psychologist whose name escapes me, said that Human Beings are merely angry beings with occasional outbreaks of Happiness. I do, however, agree with you that we can bring more Happiness into our lives by overriding the influences of anger and sadness, yes. smile

1. profile image0

Yes, I know the psychologists, but cant remember.  But the critism of this is that life development changes and evolves and you are more likely to be angrier in your teens than in your 70s.  Hormones have a lot to do with it amongst other aspects.

For example... pre menstruating women are more likely to be angrier during this time of the month because the hormones become out of balance... some people suffer more or less and the condition can be eleviated with a change in diet.

People, another example, are more likely to be stressed if they have a high carb, full fat diet without the necessary balance of fruit veg etc.  They are malnurished although they suffer obesity.  Is the point clearer now?

Critise me... come on... bring it on! hehehe x

1. profile image0

Okay, first off; You need a shower! lol Secondly; I noticed the difference a great deal when I first went back to college ten years ago. The students were so apathetic about their lives and could not understand why a 30-something generally regarded life with a sense of upbeat enthusiasm despite the crap I went through at their age. Wisdom tempers the anger if you've learned from your adversities, otherwise you just become more angry(That I've seen in my contemporaries as well). There, short enough for ya? big_smile

1. profile image0

Yo baby!  What a way to go!  Glad I could get you to see it my way... IN THE END! lol smile

Oh... I like being a dirty woman, so there! lol

1. profile image0

Giggity.

1. profile image0

when are you starting college babes?  Will you pop here from time to time?  We will all miss your bar...king tones, so dont be too long x

1. profile image0

I start school next week, and I do intend on popping in at least a few times a week; have no fear. I probably won't be publishing very many more stories though; something's gotta give.    big_smile

2. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How can you even think that? lol roll lol

1. profile image0

Read on Chum. big_smile

6. h.a.borcich profile image60
    h.a.borcichposted 14 years ago

I define happiness as the difference between what I expect and what I get. If I expect alot and get little, the difference is huge and I am unhappy. But if I expect little and get little, I am content. If I expect little and get alot I am happy! Keeping the gap short is where I find happiness smile

1. profile image0

if you expect nothing then you are NEVER disappointed!  Quite right, my friend x

7. efeguy profile image40
    efeguyposted 14 years ago

tell him to leave stress behind.

tell him to think less and happiness will keep coming

8. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

You even look angry, maybe ask yourself what makes me happy and grow from there. Good Luck big_smile

1. profile image0

this is good, but you need to have a baseline assessment in order to draw a plan of how to get there.  That is why, although boring etc, it is essential to have assessment.  The cycle is APIE... assess, plan, implement and evaluate.  You cant get anywhere without assessment, that is why I asked those questions (although not comprehensive enough ... but this is internet!). lol x

2. chinweike profile image59

hehehe. Am a lively person but, not photogenic

9. K Partin profile image59
    K Partinposted 14 years ago

Have him come on the forums and vent! smile

1. profile image0

Yeah!

10. profile image0

I did have that, um, situation occur several times the last time I went. I DO need to be careful.

11. Hmrjmr1 profile image68
    Hmrjmr1posted 14 years ago

Good Luck my friend that trail is full of 'potholes' (or ho's any way) along the trails edge, walk with care and focus on the prize ahead. (But have fun too!) cool

12. profile image0

Thanks, but, my wife is the focus of my attentions and,as pleasing to eye as they(youngins) may be, the generation gap is too insurmountable for it to even be an allure.

1. Hmrjmr1 profile image68
      Hmrjmr1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are aluck sheep! GoodO! big_smile big_smile cool

13. profile image0

Yep. I just looked over at my wife when I read that. Thanks , bud. big_smile

14. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 14 years ago

tell him to become a Hubber and chat with all of us - we'll keep him happier!  seriously!

1. tantrum profile image61
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sure ! big_smile

15. profile image0

Or we could just make him angrier...I'm just saying...

16. uliveulearn profile image68
    uliveulearnposted 14 years ago

Form a plan, do something, anything, move forward, be grateful, laugh, cry, live, learn, be happy and pass it on.  Sometimes it's making the choice.

How can i tell a person that is already angry to cry? or do you want me to send someone to an early grave? LOL!

17. uliveulearn profile image68
    uliveulearnposted 14 years ago

I have been angry and held on to feelings too long.  Sometimes crying helps as a start to get things out.

Really? this is the fisrt time a i am hearing that crying can make one happy. Ok! then i will ask my friend to try crying

18. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 14 years ago

the little fairy can take away all your anger - no charge!

hehehehe

19. Alessia Amnesia profile image60
    Alessia Amnesiaposted 14 years ago

Something I always do when I'm feeling angry, sad, or upset is write it all out on paper. I don't stop until I feel exhausted and have gotten it all out of me. I then take it outside, light it on fire with a match, and watch the ashes float away. After this, I feel much happier and more at peace with myself. Burning my problems and watching them drift away gives me a sense of empowerment. Perhaps your friend could try an exercise like that?

That is speaking from the supernatural/ religious perpectives? Ok! i will tell him to try this out. Thanks for your suggestion

1. Alessia Amnesia profile image60
        Alessia Amnesiaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No, there's nothing religious or supernatural about it. It's an exercise I was encouraged to try by a therapist and it really worked for me.

Ok!

20. profile image54
    rialeeposted 14 years ago

This person needs to be reminded what they have to be thankful for...Are they breathing? Are they in mostly good health?? Do they have food and shelter??
    And they have at least one good friend, right? well there are somethings to be grateful bout...that should make them happy.
    My point is they have more than many in this world then they should be happy.
    Sorry but I have had leukemia and other cancers and I am still relatively happy.
    Good luck with your friend Chinweike
    cheers

21. ddsurfsca profile image70
    ddsurfscaposted 14 years ago

Anger usually stems from frustration or
    jelousy or
    anxiety or
    lack of understanding.
    Get to the bottom of what it is that is beginning it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)