jump to last post 1-16 of 16 discussions (24 posts)

Hub pages spammed to death?

1. rajasekharan profile image62
    rajasekharanposted 9 years ago

There is this user by the name "love2learn" who has seemingly sent everyone a request for "i want you to go to ....." with a affiliate link in the URL.

Would the mods please deal with the problem.

1. embitca profile image87
      embitcaposted 9 years ago in reply to this

Thank you, yes! Some people will never learn. Do not spam hubbers.

2. profile image0
      daflaposted 9 years ago in reply to this

Yeah, I got that too.  The username (love2learn) sounds really familiar, though.

2. dinamars profile image60
    dinamarsposted 9 years ago

yeah i got the same request too, and i see on the 'request' page that this love2learn has posted lots of the same request as well!

dina

3. helenathegreat profile image87
    helenathegreatposted 9 years ago

So... many... of same... personal... requests...

Wow.  Spambot much?

4. Hovalis profile image88
    Hovalisposted 9 years ago

Yup, just got the same request. Glad to know I wasn't singled out for this piece of spam. Idiot.

Oh, and in the requests area the spam has been posted over and over and over again. I hope Hubpages can remove them soon, so that we can see real requests. Le sigh.

5. Jason Menayan profile image61
    Jason Menayanposted 9 years ago

Yes, it seems about 600 of us were lucky enough to receive this dubious honor.

Write how-tos, get them accepted by their editorial board, and receive 50% of AdSense revenue. Hmm....

I think Drax's response was worthy of sympathy:
    http://hubpages.com/hub/I-want-you-to-c … ery-high_1

Paul Deeds will probably get rid of all of them. Sorry, folks.

1. C.M. Vanderlinden profile image71
      C.M. Vanderlindenposted 9 years ago in reply to this

LOL Drax's response was awesome. I couldn't have said it better myself big_smile

2. Peter M. Lopez profile image90
      Peter M. Lopezposted 9 years ago in reply to this

Thanks, Jason.  I just emailed you about this very issue.  Feel free to ignore that email.  I just read this thread.

6. Panic 39 profile image59
    Panic 39posted 9 years ago

Yea I got this piece of crap request too.....

1. rajasekharan profile image62
      rajasekharanposted 9 years ago in reply to this

Sent the team an email and they seem to have gotten to work pretty fast. Now it might be a good idea to add CAPTCHA's in a few places.

7. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 9 years ago

Given the falling quality of many of the recent requests, I think it might be time that requests are reviewed before they go live, not afterwards....

1. embitca profile image87
      embitcaposted 9 years ago in reply to this

I'll ditto that. Every day I take a look and it is mostly a bunch of rubbish.

8. blessedmommy profile image91
    blessedmommyposted 9 years ago

Got it too!  Anytime a site has to build itself up by using another's foundation we should be cautious.  Obviously this site don't have what it takes to attract it's own writers.
    They didn't realize who they were messing with when they attacked us!  Hubbers are too smart and the community is too tight.

9. rajasekharan profile image62

A lot of hub requests are very un-hub, almost conversational. I think that has got to stop. It's a waste of valuable spots to have those things listed up there.

"what is your favorite color"

"talk to me"

"where do you live and why do u live there?"

10. rajasekharan profile image62

I think a guideline on what kind of requests can be made will be better.

1. Inspirepub profile image86
      Inspirepubposted 9 years ago in reply to this

There IS a guideline.

People aren't following it.

Jenny

11. rajasekharan profile image62

Hmm.. I don't blame them. I didn't see any guidelines myself. Must I go digging around for the guidelines?

12. C.M. Vanderlinden profile image71
    C.M. Vanderlindenposted 9 years ago
  13. topstuff profile image60
    topstuffposted 9 years ago

All received the same request,is there nobody who fulfilled that little request.lol

14. VioletSun profile image70
    VioletSunposted 9 years ago

When I first received it, I thought it was a request for me to write a hub, but then realized it was spam so didn't bother opening the link, just deleted it.   This person seems very busy spamming hubopages,  as I vaguely remember gettting a spam from the same person a few week ago, I could be wrong.

15. crazyhorsesghost profile image87
    crazyhorsesghostposted 9 years ago

Yep got the same spam about two weeks apart. Spam.

16. Marisa Wright profile image95
    Marisa Wrightposted 9 years ago

I've felt for a long time that the whole Requests thing wasn't working.  As someone said, many of the requests are almost conversational.  Others ask questions that could be answered in a few words, which only encourages newbie hubbers to treat HubPages like Yahoo Answers and write a one-paragraph Hub. 

If it's not going to produce productive questions, perhaps HubPages should just can the feature altogether - or restrict it to requests by HubPages itself?

1. Inspirepub profile image86
      Inspirepubposted 9 years ago in reply to this

Maybe some more experienced Hubbers could moderate the requests?

I think it's a good idea if it works as designed - to identify topics which aren't already well covered, each of which is an opportunity for HubPages to grab a top search ranking with a good Hub.

working