jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

Happenstance or Free WILL?

1. mel22 profile image59
    mel22posted 6 years ago

Obviously everyone has free will do as they please but how much of life is simply by happenstance rather than by free will. Would you say life is 50/50 or or closer to 80/20 either way. Seems the rich have more direct manipulation  or free will over things that shape the world we live in. For them I suppose it would be about 80% free will and 20% chance while others may feel the other way around. For example not being able to apply for a better job because theres nothing better available in a bad economy or having to choose whats in front of you rather than being able to customize things in life to ones liking. Whats your opinion?

2. 0
    Brenda Durhamposted 6 years ago

Tough question.

but I think it's more like 50/50 depending on other factors besides money...

there's good and bad things that figure in...

like talent, beauty, manipulations, ambition...

and some of those we have choices about, and others we don't.
    Then there's those other "happenstance" circumstances, as you said.

Take marriage, for instance.
    One can be totally committed to it,  but if the spouse isn't, then he/she can bring about circumstances that have an impact on the other's actions and decisions.

3. mel22 profile image59
    mel22posted 6 years ago

Interesting.. others CAN definitely manipulate part of your life and make it more happenstance or chance for you.. i guess lifes a gamble and bet when you think the odds are good..

4. 0
    Brenda Durhamposted 6 years ago

There's a saying

"Life's what happens to us while we're busy making other plans."

I think that's true to a large degree; or at least 50% maybe.

5. Ivorwen profile image85
    Ivorwenposted 6 years ago

A very interesting question.  There are so many factors involved, including the person's personality.

We have all heard the success stories of those rare individuals who decided something, and accomplished it, despite not having any of the blessings in life.  Then, there are those, born with a silver spoon, who squander it all away.

I am going to say 80/20.  80% free will, 20% happenstance.  Many of us will never use all of the 80% available, but I believe it is there, for all.

6. Cagsil profile image83
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

I would venture to take a stab at it. I am of the understanding that Free Will(95%) and Coercian(5%).

Everything begins with choice. The choices one has is not dictated by circumstances or situations or even from others.

The Journey of life is a path that is to be walked alone on the inside and pleasured by others on the outside.

You, as a person, decide the path of your life, by understanding that your free will allows for you to dictate your own path, first and foremost. Once, you have accomplished a beginning for your path, then you can visually determine where it goes and how you go about getting there.

This isn't a myth. Great question. smile