jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (6 posts)

Why do some people link to web news sites in their Hubs?

1. Cheri Schultz profile image68
    Cheri Schultzposted 6 years ago

I understand backlinks - but was is the significance about linking to other websites in your Hub article IE.  Your writing about exercising and you have a link to Yoga.com but there is no way you can link your Hub article through their website.  Am I missing something - or will it increase my page rank by linking to a website that has a large PR number?

1. chinweike profile image49
      chinweikeposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Though i have not done that, but i think those that engage in such does it to get their hubpage refreshed.

Am only making a guess here!

2. livewithrichard profile image85
      livewithrichardposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Aside from the links, a news module as well as an RSS module make your hub page DYNAMIC and more inline with web 2.0 technology.  The news and RSS are constantly changing so you don't have to keep going back to your hub and updating manually. Since it is always changing, the search engine spiders see new material each time they crawl your hub and may give it a little boost in the SERP's.  Not all hubs are meant to have a news or RSS module do don't try and put one on every hub. I like to put them in info type hubs and rarely on my product type hubs.

Cheri Schultzposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thank You Richard -  You are always a wealth of Knowledge and always answer my questions.. .Thank you very much!

2. Marisa Wright profile image92
    Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago

Cheri, there is a theory that when judging the quality of your site, Google likes to see links out to other quality sites, as well as backlinks coming in. 

Personally I doubted it, but I went through and added outgoing links to some of my Hubs and they did perform better.

I don't put links in the text, though - I want my readers to leave my site by clicking on an ad, not by going to some other website which doesn't earn me any money!  So I put a links capsule right at the end of my Hub, after the comments.  Google will see the links there, but most readers won't scroll that far down.

I also put a News capsule in the same spot, because that gives me constantly refreshing content, which Google also likes.

Cheri Schultzposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Marisa -

I do the same thing you explained but wasn't sure whether or not the extra links gave the Hub a boost.  Thank you so much for your insight..