jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Referrals - how is it working for you?

1. Rik Ravado profile image93
    Rik Ravadoposted 8 years ago

I'm fairly new to HubPages but the proportion of page views on my hubs to referrals is increasing rapidly so some days I get more referral traffic than my own traffic.  the only snag is the CTR on the referrals is somewhat lower than my own Hubs. 

How are other Hubbers doing with referrals?

2. quotations profile image93
    quotationsposted 8 years ago

I am sort of in the same boat. I have started using referral url trackers and my stats show a lot of hub views and some decent earnings from referrals. But I am still confused about when and how those referral earnings get added to my adsense account.

The reason is that I use url channels in my adsense account to track earnings and page views on my hubs. Therefore all clicks on my adsense are accounted for and attributed to hubs I own.

So if the referral earnings shown in my hubpage control panel are right, how are they getting added to adsense. Since they do not pertain to a particular adsense url channel, they should show up as unattributed earnings, yet all my earnings are attributed to my own channels. So am I really getting any earnings from the hubpage referrals? I noticed that the hubpages control panel describes the referral earnings as "estimated" so I wonder how accurate they are.  I hope this makes some sense.

I would really appreciate it if someone could clarify the issue of referral earnings.

3. Mark Knowles profile image60
    Mark Knowlesposted 8 years ago

Paul has said before that it is a guesstimate.

Not a very accurate one as far as I can tell smile

4. Rik Ravado profile image93

Some of my earnings appear on hubpages.com but not on any of my own hubs so I assume these are referrals. 
    As Mark says, these bear no relation to the HubPage estimate and are somewhat lower.  This is probably to be expected as the estimate given may include future earnings too.

5. quotations profile image93
    quotationsposted 8 years ago

So in your views, are referrals worthwhile? Have you noticed any real revenue generated from them? Thanks in advance for your opinions on this.

6. Mark Knowles profile image60
    Mark Knowlesposted 8 years ago

I have certainly made some money from them. But it's hard to judge exactly how much. You only get 10% of the page views and I don't know if that estimate is based on ACTUAL views that are my impressions, or the total views of the page....

I have now had 59 people sign up and make 95 hubs, which have had 9033 views. But is that total views or my impressions? I'm not sure.

7. pauldeeds profile image
    pauldeedsposted 8 years ago

Under hub traffic on the URL Trackers page, the value is the total traffic to all the hubs created by people that signed up with your token.   10% of that number would have had your tokens in them.

The same goes for the somewhat confusingly named "traffic hub views".  Those are simply hub views by someone that clicked on your token and then browsed around the site.

We think that the dollar estimates are reasonably accurate, but the consensus seems to be that they are too high.  Because of the confusion they seem to cause, we may end up just removing them altogether.

8. Rik Ravado profile image93

Thanks for that information Paul.

Quotations - On Saturday I got over $1 (from 2 clicks) that appear to be referrals so clearly they are worthwhile - far more than I've earned so far in March from my own hubs!