jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)

What if...

1. elisabeth reid profile image76
    elisabeth reidposted 9 years ago

Bill Gates decided that they order of the keys on keyboards shouldn't be QWERTY any more so you couldn't replace the one you have now with another QWERTY.  Instead, they were all ABCDEFG?

Now...tell me how that would change the world and then pose your own 'what if'

(yeah...I'm bored.  It really doesn't take much to keep me entertained sometimes)

2. Inspirepub profile image85
    Inspirepubposted 9 years ago

Yeah, of course, if Bill Gates decided to replace the QWERTY keyboard it would be with ABCDE, not Dvorak, LOL.

An OPEN SOURCE keyboard would gravitate to Dvorak within three generations ...

Jenny

3. Uninvited Writer profile image81
    Uninvited Writerposted 9 years ago

I'd have to learn to type all over again...

4. Maddie Ruud profile image84
    Maddie Ruudposted 9 years ago

The QWERTY keyboard is not the most efficient arrangement of keys, from a typing standpoint.  It was actually invented to slow typing down, back in the days of typewriters, when keys hit too rapidly in succession would stick.

1. vreccc profile image61
      vrecccposted 9 years ago in reply to this

Now isn't that an interesting piece of trivia!

1. Maddie Ruud profile image84
        Maddie Ruudposted 9 years ago in reply to this

I'm full of useless bits of information.  Now if only I could remember the important stuff... like where I put my keys...

2. elisabeth reid profile image76
      elisabeth reidposted 9 years ago in reply to this

Ah...so that explains it.  I vividly remember having to unstick the keys...the arms that came up and hit the ribbon and the paper would always cross up.  I can't imagine it being even worse.

I'd still be lost if it changed now.  I'd have to think before speaking.  Or typing.  Or whatever.  I'd have to think and that's where the problems would start.

5. William F. Torpey profile image80
    William F. Torpeyposted 9 years ago

I learned to type from a book called "Typing Self-Taught." But I never got to the numbers line, so I have to look up and one-finger type on that line. I sure hope they don't change the keyboard now!

6. elisabeth reid profile image76
    elisabeth reidposted 9 years ago

Heh...at least the number line is in order.  I wasn't very good with numbers, either -- then I got a job that required me to be because I have to deal with scores, times, stats...stuff like that.

It's amazing what you can learn when you have to.

1. Maddie Ruud profile image84
      Maddie Ruudposted 9 years ago in reply to this

I learned to type with a program (I now forget its name) where you had to type words to kill "klingons" before they got to your ship.  Back when computer screens were only black and green, and MS DOS ruled the day.

I have yet to learn the alphabet.  No.  Really.  Ask me to look something up in the dictionary, I have to sing the entire song.

working