Hubpages are not high in search but articles on AC are at the top

Jump to Last Post 1-36 of 36 discussions (67 posts)
  1. Has_aWayWithWords profile image63
    Has_aWayWithWordsposted 14 years ago

Ok, this makes no sense, I have a few articles on AC that are in the top 3 pages of google, 1 article is actually in the top spot for its keyword phrase. How can I get that one in top spot and not a single hubpage article even in top 3 pages.

1. double_frick profile image60
      double_frickposted 14 years agoin reply to this

one of my hubs came up on page one of google with a relevant keyword search.

2. Zizish profile image57
      Zizishposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi - I'm brand new here - what is AC?

1. profile image0
        Kenrick Chatmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have no idea. But when I conducted this Google search "what are AC articles" it pulled up a site called Associated Content.

2. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

I think it has to do with Goggle making changes to their ranking algo's hmm especially with latest of twitter chaanges. smile I would not fret. Things may bounce right back.

3. Has_aWayWithWords profile image63

I hope so... lol just googled for keywords " bbq ingredients"  I posted a portion of the same article that is here just as a teaser with a link to the full article here..my partial article on ezines is on front page and hubpages isn't within first 6  I am bound and determined to figure out the method to this madness   lol

4. Susana S profile image91
    Susana Sposted 14 years ago

It depends on a few things. When were your AC articles published? If they were published a while ago they have had more time to increase in serps - time is a huge factor. I've found it takes a a couple of months for an article to settle into it's position on the search results.

It also will depend on how much competition you have for a keyphrase and what the pageranks of the pages that are on the first page have. If you have absolutely no competetion for a keyphrase it can get to number one fairly quickly, say within a month. If the other pages also trying to rank for the keyphrase have high PR's it can be hard to knock them off the top spots. Google PR has a lot to do with how long the page has been in existence, so a lot of it is about patience smile

If you've chosen good keyphrases and have optimized your pages well then you should see your pages increase in the serps over time.

5. Has_aWayWithWords profile image63

well ezine post was just a coule days ago and AC postings were posted around same time as here, I guess AC and Ezine has significantly more juice than Hubpages as far as google is concerned

1. MrCartier profile image57
      MrCartierposted 14 years agoin reply to this

When did you write the hub? I find that hubpages has more 'juice' than either of those sites in the medium-long run. It can take 7-14 days for your hubpage to find a decent serps position, it can then drop off, then settle again. My best performing article took 7 days to index, then went in at 11th on the google results of its main phrase, then dissapeared for a week before returning at number 1. It has been swapping between number 1 and number 2 for about 3 months now. Hubpages has become a slow indexer, but the trunk is stable once the roots have settled. Previously, and I am only talking a few months ago, a hubpages article would go in really high within about an hour..... before dropping off..... I suspect that this could happen to your AC and Ezine articles.

I started here 7 months ago, and my traffic has grown and grown and grown. The traffic to my very first articles are still growing. The articles which I published today will not peak for 4-5 months. But I am now achieving 7k page views a day, in 2 weeks that will probably reach 8k per day. This site rocks man, just have faith and keep the patience. Two weeks is too early for results here, this is a long term thing. Ask any of the top hubbers how long it takes to start seeing results, and they will say a minimum of 6-12 months. Considering some of them make $2000 an month, I recommend that you just take their word for it. I did, and my earnings are snowballing.

You never know, you might even make enough to put your hand in your pocket for Haiti wink

6. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

ARE YOU SIGNED OUT OF ALL GOOGLE ACCOUNTS WHEN PERFORMING SEARCHES?

Associated content doesnt rank at all for the term you suggested, I do see duplicates/copies of your bbq hub at ezine and articlebase.

If they were recently published its exactly this "freshness" that is causing them to rank well.

Oi you, the elusive Sunforged, do my Facebook pictures scare you or something? (ryankett)

1. profile image0
        shazwellynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh.. so you are Ryan!  I wondered how someone can comment in the way that you have with no hubs and two months on!lol

2. sunforged profile image71
        sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

funny, I knew you who you were the moment I read your response here..and replied via FB....not elusive or avoiding, havent touched a computer since January 7th !

Lol, im not suprised, I used to be able to spot a BadCo alter ego from a mile off. Same when Mark Knowles popped onto the scene as Satan.

Aaaaarggghhhh, get me off hubpages, I need sleep.

7. Susana S profile image91
    Susana Sposted 14 years ago

Ezine does have a higher PR than HP, I think AC does too. I would use a related but different keyphrase for ezine articles if you are using them for backlinks - otherwise you are competing with yourself if you use the same keyphrase.

Yes, AC and Ezine are PR6. Hubpages is PR5. Actually, come to think about it, wasnt Hubpages a PR6 too before recently?

1. skyfire profile image80
        skyfireposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps some spammy hubs are slowing it down and that decreased PR. Who knows.

8. jimmythejock profile image82
    jimmythejockposted 14 years ago

I have many Hubs that are top ranked on Google and many more that are on the first page of Google I should point out also that the same applies with Yahoo.
    Many other Hubbers are there at the top with their hubs too.
    so I see no problem with Hubpages SEO.....jimmy

9. Has_aWayWithWords profile image63

the keyphrase for the article i was referring to AC is "green renovations"  all of them are done with multiple keyphrases so that they all relate to each other. The AC article has been there almost as long as my hubs have been here the others are new and so I get the fresh factor. I am just trying to experiment with different things and different places and wasn't expecting such a big difference in results.

1. sunforged profile image71

i repeat, are you signed out of ALL google accounts when searching? your reported results have yet to mesh with any searches I perform, i must assume you are seeing personalized results

"green renovations"! no Ac, no HUbpages, no eZine on first page results

Same for me mate, nothing at all.

2. MrCartier profile image57

When I search 'Green Renovations' I am not presented with any AC articles, is that a geographic thing? Judging by the competition, 3.2m articles, I would say that ranking high in the SERPS is going to be difficult. I would build a few backlinks, and see what happens on the next page rank update. On 1st January many of my hubs increased from PR1 to PR2, others from PR2 to PR3. Others seem completely dead, and havent shifted at all. The Google Keyword tool is showing 1300 searches a month for 'Green Renovations', thats not many to be honest, if that is your primary keyword..... I cant see where the search engine traffic will come from. Maybe I do my research in a slightly backward way? Are you sure thats the keyword phrase?

10. Has_aWayWithWords profile image63

just caught the donate to haiti remark....lmao  I donate to any cause that is worthy on a fairly regular basis an Haiti will get some too.

11. Has_aWayWithWords profile image63

it's there, name on AC is Aaron Walker it was posted to AC on Jan 6th....unless it got bumped in the last 12 hours

12. profile image58
    Alexpteposted 14 years ago

Hubpages definitely isn't getting as much google "love" as it was a few months ago - it's not dropped off completely but it's definitely not as strong.

13. Has_aWayWithWords profile image63

either way I was just curious as to the drastic differences between sites, like I said I am experimening to see what articles I should put where, AC offers some benefits while ezines has some and hubpages yet others, just trying to find best way to use them and get links and what not between them for most traffic and search results

The difference between sites in the long run is based on initial optimization..if your not performing your searches correctly (once again, Google returns personalized results when you are signed into there accounts- from adsense to gmail..you MUST be signe dout or use an appropriate plug-in or service) than How can you accurately judge between the sites?

In my experience, Associated Content would never outrank hubPages in the long run and you must understand the importance of time in the ranking process...new content ranks high, than is reindexed- so unless your articles are of relative age you cant judge the site they are published at yet

I can assure you that it takes weeks to judge the performance of a hub, im not quite sure what else we can say. Thats just the way it is, but I would hazard a guess at Sunforged being right about your personalised search. Nobody will get a hubpage to the front page within a week or so for that keyword phrase, the competition is too strong, do you have SEO for firefox? It pretty much tells me that you need a few juicy backlinks, and a PageRank update to stand any chance whatsoever. I would suggest using 3 word phrases for competitive topics, if you want the organic traffic.

14. Has_aWayWithWords profile image63

that is one set of key words, green building, green remodeling, green, like I say the whole article is geared towards these words, the 2 primary phrases are green renovations and green building because they are lower search right now but will gain steam soon because of the upturn in green energy and green products that are coming in the next 12 - 24 months

15. Has_aWayWithWords profile image63

I do not have seo for firefox,  Maybe I should check that out, thanks for all the input and I definately will keep watching and make needed changes.

There are some fantastic hubs about 'Keywords' and 'SEO', Darkside and Mark Knowles have some fantastic tutorials for a start. I learnt most of what I know from them, and the rest from this forum, it is a steep learnng curve mate.... but you cant knock this:-

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/3209/capturebzy.jpg

Can you see how the effects of my most prolific period (the first 2 months) are still realised now? (Thats my traffic stats by the way). The results were not instant, they took a long time.

16. Has_aWayWithWords profile image63

ya get outta here with that...go start your own thread...lol   just kidding, Thanks sun for all your input. I hope to see where things go over the next couple weeks and maybe tweak a few things here and there, any suggestions that you have are appreciated.

17. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

I haven't seen any problems with HubPages rank in the search engine or search engine traffic. But I go after a lot of keywords not just one specific phrase in my hubs.

Most of my hubs are indexed within twelve hours and google traffic is almost immediate.

18. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

feedest and feedage are the RSS directories that can land you in indexing quickly.

19. Has_aWayWithWords profile image63

good information, thanks. I will check out the RSS feeds you mentioned. Nellie, is there a trick to such quick indexing and google traffic?

20. KeithTax profile image72
    KeithTaxposted 14 years ago

I didn't start this thread, but thanks everyone. Very informative. I love the discussion.

Keep talking.

21. WriteAngled profile image73
    WriteAngledposted 14 years ago

Two dumb questions from a relative newbie

Where do you get the graph "Traffic to your hubs"?

How do you find out which hubs are getting the Adsense earnings? I just get reports for everything lumped together.

Go to 'My Account' and then 'Stats', its there.

2. Has_aWayWithWords profile image63
      Has_aWayWithWordsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

to the second part about adsense, you have to set it up in adsense under unique channels, then adsense will give you stats for each channel, you are limited to 200 total channels in adsense

3. Rik Ravado profile image85
      Rik Ravadoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Its not 'my account' but 'my profile' then select 'stats'.  This gives you the graph shown in the MrCartier post.

1. chinweike profile image60
        chinweikeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

that is the overall traffic, but for individula traffics, account

Oops, my bad, this is ryankett by the way wink

22. WriteAngled profile image73

Ah, I thought channels were individual web sites, not individual pages.

In Statistics on my account here, I get a list of hubs with page views for 1 day, 7 days, 30 days and all time. However I can't see how to get the traffic graph.

23. Has_aWayWithWords profile image63

you can also check out analytics, I have a hub on it here http://hubpages.com/hub/Google-Analytic … ney-Online analytics will give you deeper breakdown than hubpages or adsense stats

24. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

Google analytics lacks on live figures. Woopra, Mint Analytics are more accurate and show live stats. But we can't use them on our hubs.

25. chinweike profile image60
    chinweikeposted 14 years ago

I even noticed that it only takes minutes for articles posted at snipsly to be indexed but, hubpages takes hours sometimes days to be indexed.

can anyone explain that?

26. WriteAngled profile image73

Thank you very much, Rik.

Doh! It had never crossed my mind to have a look and see if the stats on the profile page were different to the ones on the account page.

They wont be different, they are the same stats in graph form, its just a visual analysis of growth or decline. As Has_aWayWithWords has mentioned, analytics is by far the most accurate and useful source of traffic stats and analysis. You can learn a hell of a lot about what drives the traffic to your hubs, particularly in terms of traffic sources and keywords.

27. Has_aWayWithWords profile image63

writeangle,  I posted a comment in reply to yours on the analytics hub that details how to get into the adsense stats on analytics just in case you didn't go back to check it out it is there and if you need more help let me know.

28. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

Granted I have a very simple approach to life. I don't monitor particular keywords, I just look at the number of google visitors my hubs get during the current 24 hours and 30 days. And then I look at the money I've made.

But I'm seeing a rapid increase in both google visitors and monthly income from adsense, Amazon, and Ebay. As I've often said my HubPages income is some of the easiest I've made on the internet. Some of my many websites are nearly 10 years old with a PR4, so I do have an extensive income generating network to compare HubPages to.

I haven't noticed any substantial problems with working on HubPages with regard to Google during my 10 months here.

29. johnr54 profile image49
    johnr54posted 14 years ago

I don't think Hubpages is hurting as far as Google love or traffic.  Go to compete.com and plug in some sites for comparison, but for example over the last 12 months hupbages traffic is up 55%, vs 40% for AC and 23% for Ezines.

Some of the traffic differences can easily be explained.  On Ezines, when you publish and article, it's linked to by all the articles in that category.  However, when yours is no longer one of the 15 most recent in the category then it loses that link source.  So, at Ezines, you get the most links you'll get and then they go away, so in addition to the freshness boost in Google you have the most links on a new article.

On hubpages, just the opposite happens, as you have just the tag pages which haven't been crawled recently, and over time you get links built up from related hubs as well.  So the number of links increases over time.  That's the reason that it's common for hubs to get to a PR of 2 with no external link building at all, but an Ezinearticle can actually eventually get deindexed for an author with only a couple of submissions.

There was another comment on the PR of Hubpages.  Hubpages is structured to channel PR into individual hubs at the expense of the home page of the site.  That's a good thing for anyone with a hub.  Contrast that with Squidoo, which has been doing a lousy job with channeling PR to lenses (they just started indexing tag pages a few months ago) and you can see that even though the site has a PR of 8 now, their traffic is no greater than Hubpages, even though they have more PR and more articles.

Bottom line, over the long haul the site structure of Hubpages will pay dividends as it is the easiest place to get your individual pages to rank if you are patient.

1. Susana S profile image91
      Susana Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is an excellent explanation john smile I was thinking that a lot of what we are talking about here must be to do with the internal link structure of the particular website but not being anywhere near technical enough to work out the differences as you have. The more I work at Hubpages the more I see that the internal structure of the site is bordering on genius. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge smile

30. Has_aWayWithWords profile image63

John's explanation makes the most sense to me from what I have been reading, the only question now becomes is there some way to get the individual pages indexed faster, If I submit to digg or stumble those pop in the SE within seconds and usually drive a few visitors within hours, if digg and stumble can be indexed and on SE within minutes what are they doing that Hubs are not?

Unless you are writing news or current affairs topics (which are not evergreen in the slightest and will die within a few weeks) then why does it matter? My highest earning hubpage (about $60-$70 per month) earnt me nothing in its first 4 weeks. You said yesterday that you wrote about Green Renovations as it is a growing topic, you also said that you were aiming to tap into those earnings in the longer term (12-14 months to be precise). Therefore, why does it matter that you have to wait a week sometimes? My articles actually index within an hour sometimes, always within 24 hours, it has something to do with the PageRank of my profile (PR4 i believe). Those that moan about indexing times are ALWAYS newbies. Your profile has a PR0, mine has a PR4, there you go..... your answer. Keep writing, the Google respect will follow.

31. Has_aWayWithWords profile image63

Wasn't overly worried about was just curious more than anything, Thought maybe there was something I may not be doing that I should be. I got that firefox tool and it does have a ton of info in it, haven't figured out all of the ins and outs yet but it seems to have some info that one can use to be more competitive, can't get my head around the keyword tool tho, it doesn't really do what I thought it would I guess.

It quite simply goes like this. You think of keyword phrases that you may want to use as or in article titles and your hubpages URL. You type the phrase in the keyword tool. It tells you how many people each month search for that phrase, you can also determine how much you are likely to earn per click (ask to see the average CPC, divide by 2, thats your estimate).

You then go to Google, type in the phrase. If the top results have a maximum PR of 3 or 4, then you have a chance in the long run of getting to the top with a hubpage. If everything on the front page for that phrase has a page rank of 5 or 6, then getting their with a hubpage = no chance. If you have sites on the front page with a PR1, then I would expect that you can get your hub straight onto that front page.

I normally use these rules when choosing a title:

Minimum CPC of $1
      Less than 1,000,000 google results (preferablty 200,000!)
      At least 3000 searches per month
      The chance of getting a PR3 page on the first page of google.

Anything else, in my opinion, has no chance of earning you money. You cant just slap out an article without doing that research, and then expect it to make money, hundreds of billions of dollars flies through Adsense on a yearly basis and there are big fish for the little men like us to compete with.

I hope that makes sense, you need to learn this, I already told you to read stuff by Darkside and Mark Knowles to learn how to best do this. Remember that your hubpages will start with a PR0 or PR1, it progresses through pagerank updates, I do not yet have a PR4 hubpage. A couple are PR3.

The hubpage you cited the other day had 3.2m search results for the phrase green renovations, and just 1200 people a month searching for it. I would never have written that, I would have tried to find a similar search phrase with say 5000 people searching for it, and 120,000 search results.

I hope that helps at least a little, in no expert, but I published my first hub 7 months ago..... my first 100 earn me almost nothing. The next 122 have been earning me A LOT. The difference is learning these analysis techniques. Your earnings are in your own hands here.

1. profile image0
        Kenrick Chatmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Great info MrCartier.

32. Has_aWayWithWords profile image63

Makes total sense, I have been reading some of the hubs you mentioned and as you can see have not written anything in a couple days, I am researching and trying to find the best way for my next hub to have a shot.

33. Internetwriter62 profile image76
    Internetwriter62posted 14 years ago

I don't understand something Ryan, you write fantastic advice on forums, yet I checked your profile and found no hubs. You are a very talented writer. Why are you not writing hubs. That's where the traffic is. Readers to. Chatting is great, but so is making your mark.

1. Misha profile image62
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You probably don;t know this, but many people have several accounts on HP smile

1. Internetwriter62 profile image76
        Internetwriter62posted 14 years agoin reply to this

So you mean Ryan, may be writing for another account. Well thats a good conclusion. On the other hand, isn't it better to have one account that is doing really well. Than to have several accounts, and let one of them go on to having a really low score, and thus misrepresent yourself, and how truly talented you really are.

lol....it was good advice, I bet if you thought about the name he was using you might figure out a possible intention for a secondary account

for a fun game, try and find a "ryan" that has over 200 hubs

34. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

LOL There is no "may be" about it, Ryan has several accounts. As for why people are doing it - there are many reasons, and I don't pretend to know them all. I personally first created my sock puppet to pull some pranks on the forums, but then started to use it for business mostly, for the hubs that did not fit my own image here for one reason or another. smile

Like I said, I'm fairly new. I only have one account. I play by the rules. I'm trying to get ahead. I guess having several account is like some sort of networking scheme.

35. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Since several account are officially allowed here, there is nothing wrong with having them. smile

That goes to show, how much I still have to learn.

36. GarethAdams2010 profile image59
    GarethAdams2010posted 14 years ago

We all have a lot to learn..

There are so many things that can cause odd rankings in search engines, you can have a page drop a couple of places while the datacentre re indexes another site. As for your articles and your hubs (refering to the original post here) its not uncommon for sites to rank oddly, I have tried the 2 articles that with a lot of hard work were equal, however different (by equaly I men keyword density, same pr site they submitted to, and so on) I made them different articles just with the same skeleton, I linked 1 to the other and it was the one that had an incomming link from a highly relevant page that ranked worse.

In theory it should have ranked much higher or atleast above the unlinked one if all of the SEO is to be believed. Truth is Search engines make up the rules, and they can change them as they please, best practice if you are here for the money, continue building hubs let them "age" and then start on the SEO band wagon. I am faily new to hubs however blogs, lens, articles, websites, bascialy anything you put in to a search engine works the same, let it mature, then carve up a good solid hub by tweaking it here and there and your rankings will rocket

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)