jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Answering machines

1. 0
    Hikikomoriposted 6 years ago

Who else hates leaving messages on answering machines?

I despise how I often get one chance to say what I want to say correctly. I also hate how I'm talking to a machine, yet have to pretend that I'm talking to an actual human - it feels awkward.

2. SandyMcCollum profile image84
    SandyMcCollumposted 6 years ago

I don't care for them but sometimes I have to. I hate them, too, but what are ya gonna do? wink I really hate having to listen to all my messages, too.

3. The Rope profile image59
    The Ropeposted 6 years ago

big_smilebig_smilebig_smile:  I pulled mine out of the wall 25 years ago and never replaced it.  Drives my callers nuts!  If I'm home I can screen the calls via caller ID - I'll answer if I have time, am in the mood or otherwise willing to talk at the moment.  But I have the ID list and always call back, I just do it at my convenience. 

My theory is that I pay for the phone line, it is there for my convenience - not the caller's.  I am in control. My home is my sanctuary and I have the right to allow whom I choose to invade it. Have you ever noticed how many people seem to think it is their RIGHT to scold you for not returning their call IN THEIR timeframe? All too often, they also feel it is THEIR RIGHT to leave me instructions and expect me to follow through without asking. 

I love hearing from friends or colleagues but it is, after all, my personal space.

1. Ken R. Abell profile image85
      Ken R. Abellposted 6 years ago in reply to this

My attitude exactly.  I resisted having an answering machine for a long time & finally gave in about ten years ago.  I wish I'd stuck to my guns. 

As far as leaving a message, I only do so IF it is an emergency or crisis situation.  Routinely talking to a machine is just one more step down the dehumanizing road.

4. Cagsil profile image84
    Cagsilposted 6 years ago

I don't have any answering machine. smile

5. Ohma profile image81
    Ohmaposted 6 years ago

I have one it is built into my phone but it has an off switch which I used the day it was installed and never turned it back on.