Cyber bullying on hubpages....

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (63 posts)
  1. free4india profile image60
    free4indiaposted 14 years ago

Do you think cyber bullying is taking place on hubpages?  I have found some regulars on hubpages forming groups and attacking people through their messages.

People who are having poor English or belong to poor community or region are being made a scapegoat and laughed at.  What is your experience?

1. waynet profile image68
      waynetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hahaha they are scapegoats!!

....seriously I think it's awful of this to be happening and it is robot bullying at best, those poor robots, I feel sorry for them! now I just have to work out who is a cyber, so that I can warn them!!

2. tantrum profile image59
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

my experience is, that it happens everywhere.
      If I were you, I wouldn't care !
      This is the world we live in. In & out cyber world.
      smile

3. Daniel Carter profile image63
      Daniel Carterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sad that Hubpages isn't free of it. But it should be. All I know is that regardless of ethnic origin, income, or language, I am completely and absolutely amazed at the incredible people I have met from around the world, who have made my life rich, better, and happier. Those who cannot appreciate this are usually struggling with their own demons, biases and prejudices, which are often taught to them

Therefore, let us each be the answer. Let us each become the love and forgiveness, hope and acceptance.

Sorry, I'm feeling a bit sentimental because of some personal things.

1. myownworld profile image74
        myownworldposted 14 years agoin reply to this

actually....you always do give sensible advice, now it's just more moving than before! sentimental suits you....smile

1. Daniel Carter profile image63
          Daniel Carterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, love. I call you that because I admire you so much. You are out in the world doing such great things. Keep rockin'!!

1. myownworld profile image74
            myownworldposted 14 years agoin reply to this

you put the biggest smile on my face there...! See, just words...and how they can make such a difference! smile

(((hopefully this should convey to freeindia that along with that bullying, there is much positivity being shared too)))

1. profile image0
              Suzy McBlogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You two have really made my day! Thank you for proving to me that there are still gentle, wise souls.

4. Ivorwen profile image66
      Ivorwenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Besides on the religious and political forums, I have not seen any bullying. 

As to those with poor English, the only times I have seen them picked on is when they come to the forums asking how to make more on their copy and paste articles.  When it is found out that their work is all copied, they usually claim to have typed it all themselves -- as if that makes it not copied!

The other thing I have seen is certain people asking questions that are clearly answered in the 'guide' section, at the bottom of every page.  For most questions, there are also multiple hubs written on the subject.  After a while, hubbers get tired of people who will not seek to answer their own questions or appear to be fishing for readers.

5. Alessia Amnesia profile image59
      Alessia Amnesiaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you want to be a writer, you have to be ready to deal with criticisms. I haven't seen anything on here that would qualify as bullying. Besides, aren't HubPages writers made up of adults? Shouldn't adults be mature enough to shrug it off?

6. KCC Big Country profile image84
      KCC Big Countryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Anyone experiencing a personal attack, or witnessing a personal attack on HubPages should notify HubPages staff immediately with the "Report" button.

7. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I tend to think of bullying as a systematic thing, where one person (or several people) deliberately aim their attacks at a particular target.

Sorry, but I can't say I've noticed anything like that on Hub Pages (although I do keep out of the religious forums so I can't say what's going on in those). 

What I have noticed is occasional bouts of sarcasm.  Sometimes the recipients of this are getting exactly what they deserve (what part of "plagiarism/spamming is wrong" do certain people not understand?) 

Sometimes the sarcasm arises from what I think of as a "clash of cultures" between the people who use HP as a glorified social networking site to make friends and gain followers, and the people who are on HP for other reasons, such as to make money.  The latter group tends to clash with the former when the former comes on the forums to beg for followers and/or make suggestions for "improving" HP to make it even more social networky (is that a word?) than it already is. 

Since I'm not a fan of Facebook and have never even bothered with Twitter, I have a certain amount of sympathy for the second group of HP members.

8. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

HUH?

2. Niteriter profile image61
    Niteriterposted 14 years ago

I don't think the horseplay on here should be taken too seriously. Some play a little rough but no one gets hurt in reality; after all, it IS a cyber world.

3. Peter Hoggan profile image67
    Peter Hogganposted 14 years ago

I am a Scotsman living in Spain and my Spanish is bad but not as bad as it used to be. I once walked into a shoe shop and asked if they had very long white training condoms, I thought I was asking for long white laces for my trainers. There were a few snigers but the problem was my own and a sign that I had to improve my Spanish if I wanted to communicate effectively.

It’s how you interpret feedback and what you do with it that counts.

1. tantrum profile image59
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol

Cordones.  You said condones ?
      I can imagine !!! lol

2. WriteAngled profile image75
      WriteAngledposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh, the picture that brings to mind...  big_smile

I do think obvious spammers have a hard time on the forums, but they deserve it.

The political and religious forums can be hostile places at times, but as the saying goes: If you don't like the heat,keep out of the kitchen.

Overall, I have found HP much friendlier than many other places on the web.

3. Sara Tonyn profile image60
      Sara Tonynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's hilarious! lol lol lol

Thanks for sharing!  big_smile

4. h.a.borcich profile image62
    h.a.borcichposted 14 years ago

On hubpages there is cyber bullying that goes on frequently, but usually I have seen it happen on the religious and political threads. It is a shame it happens anywhere. Kind thoughts to you, Holly smile

5. Sara Tonyn profile image60
    Sara Tonynposted 14 years ago

You're probably best off just ignoring the bullying if that's truly what it is. (Sometimes teasing can be misunderstood to be bullying.)

I've found that Hubbers sort of police themselves, which is great. If someone is really getting nasty, a fellow Hubber will usually step up and tell them to knock it off. (Not necessarily in those words!)

Of course if you really feel like you're being seriously abused you have the option of complaining to HP about the activity.

Good luck!

6. theirishobserver. profile image60
    theirishobserver.posted 14 years ago

I would hope there is no such thing happening here..I have found everyone great and welcoming....and I have shared alot of personal stuff were less open minded people could be very cruel...love and be loved smile

7. theirishobserver. profile image60
    theirishobserver.posted 14 years ago

perception is very important, sometimes someone may feel something that others dont, but, there are plenty of good people here to ensure that this does not occur....

1. profile image0
      shazwellynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

agreed.  If you dont like the thread and the people in it..go to a friendlier thread.  There are lots of nice people here x

I keep away from the religious threads... cos the heat is too hot in that kitchen!

1. Misha profile image62
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Look, if you drop off the clothes, it's not really that hot wink

1. profile image0

Ive already done that hon! hehehe

1. Misha profile image62

Cool. Nice tattoos by the way - but I frankly doubt they are yours. wink

1. profile image0

no.. just immitation and a touch of airbrushing... good eh? x

8. marcel285 profile image63
    marcel285posted 14 years ago

I too have noticed certain people forming 'gangs' and picking at others. It doesn't matter though, because at the end of the day, these people aren't too bright. I just ignore it, because i know that i'm better than that, and that's good enough for me. Just don't respond if your a victom of it, responses are how they get their jollies.

9. marcel285 profile image63

The people that cyber bully, must have sad little lives.

10. marcel285 profile image63

LOL! True true..OVERCOMPENSATION

1. profile image0

getting hotter!  Is there a man around here?  I feel a little faint! hehehe

1. Jane@CM profile image59
        Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A real man? lol

11. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

There is not a single bully on HubPages. smile

Everyone who engages in the forums does so at their own risk. The forums are public domain on HubPages' platform for writers.

Topics can be heated and even down right mean. However, the words themselves shouldn't be an issue. If you are a reasoned adult, then you know words do no harm, unless you let them.

An insult, happens because of selfish pride. Just move on.

A personal attack is a direct inflammatory remark, as in threatens or promotes hate speech. If someone insults your mother, then it is a personal attack. If someone calls you a racist or promotes hatred, then it is also to be reported to HubPages and they will handle the problem.

I just wanted to clarify a few things. Thank you for your time. smile

1. profile image0

ooooooh caggie, I love it when you get all masterful!

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol hmm

12. marcel285 profile image63

Plenty of personal attacks go on in forums..When one is attacking someone, and their 'friends' join in..how is that not bullying?

Vindictive, cruel, malicious, humiliating - components of bullying. Traits that are clearly displayed by certain people within hubpages.

1. profile image0

I would hope it is reported!

13. marcel285 profile image63

Yeah, but how is it NOT bullying???

14. marcel285 profile image63

Bullying is exactly what it is, if not, then what is it?

To say that there is not one single bully in the hubpages community, is to deny the existence of the term bullying.

1. Misha profile image62

Are you bullying us? yikes

lol lol

15. marcel285 profile image63

That doesn't make any sense to me..How did you interpret that to maybe mean that i am bullying?? I'm just asking a question, there's no hidden agenda to it, it's just a simple, honest question.

What are the laughing faces about? Are you trying to take the piss because i asked a question that you don't know how to answer?

That's how it seems to me, but i could be wrong. It's okay if you don't know how to answer a question sometimes you know. No one knows everything.

Bullying is a physical term. There is no way to bully someone verbally. smile

2. Arthur Fontes profile image74
      Arthur Fontesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are j/k right?

3. Misha profile image62

Oh, I got it wrong then? You mean we all are bullying you? yikes

How dare we! lol

1. Arthur Fontes profile image74

Misha didn't you try to take my lunch money this morning?  LOL smile

1. Misha profile image62

Just wait for Monday, I'll be back tongue

16. marcel285 profile image63

I'm failing to see the humor here. No i don't think that you are bullying me. It's impossible for anyone to bully me anyhow, because i take no offense to peoples opinions, everyone has a right to their own. Like i said, i was just asking a question.

17. marcel285 profile image63

If you think that bullying is only a physical term, maybe you need to look up the definition. Don't get angry, i'm not trying to insult you, but hey you can't argue with a dictionary.

Do you feel as if you have been personally bullied at any time in the hubpages forums?

2. Cagsil profile image71

Don't need to look up the term. The FACT is that the word bully, came or was derived from the 'bully on the block', phrase. A bully on the block is a physically tough SOB who abuses others for his own selfish reasons.

Therefore, leads me to understand that there are NO bullies on HubPages. Simply because, in the politic topics people are expressing their dissenting opinion about government, which is a touchy subject matter to begin with and religion topics, because christians and non-believers have different opinions, as well.

If you don't want to get picked on or don't want your pride hurt or have your belief laughed, then I suggest you stay away from the topics that you know you cannot handle. smile

Just another thought. smile

18. marcel285 profile image63

That's a trick question. If peoples opinions hurt me, then yeah it would be bullying. But they don't. I have never said that i have been bullied, i said that i have noticed it.

People have a right to their own opinions.

Only you have the power over your emotions.  Nobody else holds that power.

How do you know that what you felt was bullying was not active and enjoyable conversations to the participants involved?

19. ddsurfsca profile image70
    ddsurfscaposted 14 years ago

There are two things that I think when this subject comes up, one is that if you do anything about it, it only draws attention to the bully and this is exactly what he wants, shun him is the best medicine.  The second thing is that if we are writing things for the reason of having others read it, and to give opinions about what you have written, then one does not really have the option to complain just because he does not like what one person's opinion is.  Take it in stride, and continue.  Not everyone is going to like me, and I know this, and it is the same with anyone.l

20. Uninvited Writer profile image78
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

There are certain trolls who follow people around and it gets very close to bullying.

1. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

UW I'm not following you we just happen to go the same way.smile

1. Uninvited Writer profile image78
        Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not you silly, you are not a troll

Are you sure? lol lol lol lol

1. wyanjen profile image72
            wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I heard somebody call sneako a troll behind his back.

21. marcel285 profile image63

Lol. Good day. smile Thanks for the tips, i'll keep them in mind big_smile

22. Shinkicker profile image55
    Shinkickerposted 14 years ago

Being fairly new to Hubpages I was surprised to hear that bullying goes on. But I suppose it happens on all social networking sites

It would be nice of you to not classify HubPages as a "social" networking site.

HubPages is a Writer's Community. smile

HubPages is a Platform for Writers, who want to write original content.

It out-classes social networking sites, such as Myspace, Facebook and any number of other sites.

Thank you for your time. smile

23. donotfear profile image83
    donotfearposted 14 years ago

I refuse to comment on the grounds I may be cyber bullied.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)