jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Do Tiny URL's Give You Backlink Credit?

1. 0
    Wag The Dogposted 6 years ago

In a forum that I can leave backlinks in, they let me have upto 500 chareters.  In an effoer to use that space for as many backlinks as I can get, I shortend my links vie Tiny URL.  This did give me a bit more room, but now I do not know if my backlinks are being counted by search engines, because they are no longer the HP link, but the Tiny URL links.  If the crawler just crawles the page, and does not follow the new Tiny URL link, how would it know that it is just short for my HP links?  Should I just go back to my HP links or are the Tiny URL links just as good?

2. Peter Hoggan profile image85
    Peter Hogganposted 6 years ago

Tiny URLs are basically 301 redirects. A little benefit will be passed over but you loose any relevancy you could have gained by using keyword rich anchor text. My advice would be to concentrate on quality rather than quantity.

3. skyfire profile image73
    skyfireposted 6 years ago

No benefit in short. Organic links are wasted that way.

4. Peter Hoggan profile image85

Although they do pass pagerank an can obscure affilate links.

5. zzron profile image60
    zzronposted 6 years ago

Is it ok to post a link like this in a forum ? http://hubpages.com/_1jlnpyoil2g4b/hub/thebeauty?

6. Peter Hoggan profile image85

There are rules here that could have links that are overly self promotional removed. But that aside it is still a link, it will be recognised as a link by search engines and it will pass PageRank.

In the truest sense of seo this might seem a week link, however when links are gained naturally you have no control over the anchor text other webmasters use and search engines are smart enough to know this. So links placed by other webmasters or through sites like twitter will not always use the perfect anchor text.

A load of shortened urls that stem from RTs over a short period of time might indicate a page is important and current. Links might also point to a page that use the URL itself as the anchor text or from images. Targeted nchor text is great but IMO we need all the other stuff to make our link profile appear natural.

7. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 6 years ago

No, it would not give you any Page rank or musch SeO benefit (Search engines would still find your page through it, but not give you any backlink benefit)

You will still get the traffic though, so they are not al bad!

8. Peter Hoggan profile image85

301 redirects do pass pagerank and the benefits of the anchor text (when present) of the page being 301d from. It is one of the main reasons why you should 301 to ensure that only one version of a domain can be indexed i.e. to funnel pagerank.