what do you think of people posting links to their hubs when...

Jump to Last Post 1-17 of 17 discussions (24 posts)
  1. Richieb799 profile image77
    Richieb799posted 14 years ago

commenting on your hubs?

just wondering because someone just did on mine, Im just thinking it would of been more polite to ask if we could of done a link exchange, that way we'd both benefit, now im stuck between deleting a good comment or not sad

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It depends on the comment.  If it's a good comment and their Hub adds value to mine, I'll leave it. Otherwise I delete it without remorse!

2. NoRR4Me profile image67
      NoRR4Meposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think the same person commented with a link on one of my Hubs too. I'm new, so I approved it. I guess I need as many comments as I can get.

3. Sab Oh profile image55
      Sab Ohposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Is that considered poor form?

2. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 14 years ago

Sadly, when this happens on my Hubs, it most often is someone just trying for a backlink with an unrelated topic.

Suffice to say, those comments don't cut the mustard.

3. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

I'll agree with both Marisa and Relache. smile

4. Richieb799 profile image77

she has read the hub, but it about mayan history and she wants to promote her egyptian hub.. she said 'hope you don't mind me slipping this in'

I think shes a known hubber with around 60 hubs, but Im a little annoyed about this and think I will delete it or suggest a link exchange

5. waynet profile image69
    waynetposted 14 years ago

I just delete them, because it's someone forcing their links onto your page and most of the times the link isn't that relevant to your pages topic, so it's no good, I mean Mayan + Egyptian are they the same topic or different? I'd say not relevant and would delete it!

6. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

It's Shazwellyn, who left the comment which you are referring to?

Yes, she has done that with other hubs and they are connected in the manner in which they are both cultural history.

I personally don't see a problem with, but then again, it's your hub and your decision.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Personally I feel that connection is drawing a long bow and it's likely that Shaz is misinterpreting the suggestion that posting links on other blogs and Hubs helps your traffic.

There was another Hubber who used to do the same thing - I dropped her an email and explained the correct etiquette, i.e. that you should only add a link if it's directly relevant to the subject, and she appreciated the advice.

7. Shinkicker profile image52
    Shinkickerposted 14 years ago

Shouldn't do it I would say, Hubpages don't encourage it so I don't put links in. I think everyone should stick with this rule.

8. Richieb799 profile image77

well, i slipped one in one her hubs now wink so i can't really retract her comment, feel slightly violated now sad my best hub

9. wsp2469 profile image60
    wsp2469posted 14 years ago

If it is related in any way I will allow it. In your case i would agree with marisa in that they are both connected to world cultures.
    Personally, I rarely do it myself but figure if the person doesn't want the link on the hub he/she can delete it.

10. brimancandy profile image78
    brimancandyposted 14 years ago

Most of the people who comment on my hubs have been cool.

I do notice when I check my analytics that my hubs are being linked to from some bizzare places. One is Bad vaginal odor?
    I wonder how in the heck my hubs got hooked up with that?
    I wonder if this could have anything to do with people adding a their tracker to link to my hubs.

I haven't added a tracker to mine yet. Do you think I should do it to generate traffic? I don't get how it works anyways.

1. CMHypno profile image83
      CMHypnoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with the bizarre places - a site called 'He wears panties' came up on my analytics.  When I checked it out, it was a site for men who like wearing ladies underwear!

2. wsp2469 profile image60
      wsp2469posted 14 years agoin reply to this

There is a difference between what hubs HP hooks you to and someone just posting a link in a comment.  I think we get hooked to other hubs by HP because of our chosen tags.

11. Petra Vlah profile image60
    Petra Vlahposted 14 years ago

One guy (that now is not comming around thanks God), used to post his own poems (not a link, mind you - the entire poem) in my comment page rather than leaving a comment to my poems.

I had to ask him a few times to stop doing it or I would delete his "comment" that was only self promotion since he knew my pages were visited by other poets.

Very annoing when that happens

12. Mike Rogers profile image61
    Mike Rogersposted 14 years ago

I think that it is important to remember that for anyone who includes a URL in their comment, that URL is attributed by Hubpages and referenced by Google as a "nofollow" link.

The general industry consensus is that "nofollow" attributed links are not counted as backlinks by Google and therefore do not contribute towards indexing or page rank.

As such, posting URL's in comments is a fruitless endeavor as it relates to Google.

Mike

13. Bard of Ely profile image79
    Bard of Elyposted 14 years ago

Mostly I have had links that are to do with the subject matter so I don't mind.

1. wsp2469 profile image60
      wsp2469posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Exactly!

14. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

I let them stay I don't care so long as it is not spam. smile

15. whiteorchids profile image60
    whiteorchidsposted 14 years ago

I do not write much on here but my sister is an avid writer, I know I certainly would not have any issues with someone doing such a thing, there are other concerns to worry about besides a link in a comment box, just like sis said Spam is the worse so I personally would eliminate it altogether.

16. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Nothing in general. I take them on case by case basis. If the link makes sense and/or comment really adds to the conversation, I let it stay. Otherwise not. smile

17. Dee Dee MonSherie profile image59
    Dee Dee MonSherieposted 14 years ago

As long as their link is sexy I'd leave it there, my readers have probably read my own Hubs all the way to the end before they get to the comments capsule, right?   Hub links are better than comments of outrage or masked self-righteousness, I'd would be tempted to delete those....cool

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)