I Guess I Can't Make Any Money Here :(

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (32 posts)
  1. Alessia Amnesia profile image59
    Alessia Amnesiaposted 14 years ago

Since Google AdSense makes absolutely no sense to me and putting links/coupon codes for my website in a hub is apparently prohibited, how am I supposed to use HubPages to make money?

I'm not trying to complain or sound whiny, but I put a lot of work into a hub about Wiccan Starter Kits. I didn't tell anyone they HAD to buy the products from me, but I did offer a coupon code near the end if they wanted to order from me and save $5.00.

I was told that a hub was allowed to have up to two links in it. I didn't violate that rule. I was also told that putting a coupon code in my hub was okay.

To say the least, I am 100% confused.

1. Cagsil profile image69
      Cagsilposted 14 years ago

You earn by driving traffic to your hub.

If your hub is selling a product, then you can make sales for whatever products you sell. PLUS, you can earn from Adsense because of the ads on your hubs.

To make adsense work for you, all you have to do is sign up for GOOGLE Adsense and get an account.

Once you do that, you take the account ID they give you, then enter it into the affiliate section, on your statistics page.

Look up, above your statistics and you'll see "affiliate section", it's a link to another page, where you will fill in your account ID in the small box labeled Adsense.

You will have to click edit, in order to enter your ID.

Hope that helped. smile

1. moanalisa profile image61
        moanalisaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps your draw is such a niche field as well, for that I wouldn't expect bucks rolling in. That is not meant offensively, but more infromatively.

2. profile image0
        TheVerbalAxiomposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Now that was helpful.

Props.

Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you. smile

2. Cagsil profile image69

Care to explain that to me? hmm

3. Alessia Amnesia profile image59

Okay... let me rephrase this.

I'm not interested in Google AdSense, Amazon, or any other pay-per-click site.

I am interested in writing for the site that I already work for and driving traffic to THEM.

I was told that links were okay, up to two per hub. I was also told that providing coupon codes was okay. So I didn't break any rules, yet my hub was prohibited for these reasons.

Is anyone understanding what I'm trying to say?

1. moanalisa profile image61
        moanalisaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ok, yes, that sounds like an entirely different scenario to me. I don't know why, but now it sounds your hub was denied...was it copy-pasted from another site you have?

Alessia Amnesiaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No, it was completely original content.

1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
            pauldeedsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you are referring to your hub "You Don't Need a Lot of Fancy Tools! (Wiccan Starter Kit)", then no, it isn't original content.   It is substantially similar to a page on about.com and there is a clear message at the top of the hub indicating that.   Hubs that contain duplicate content are not allowed to have any self serving outgoing links.

I've never even heard of about.com?

I suppose I'll have to look at it. I'm so confused right now.

1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
                pauldeedsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps the lists and descriptions both came from some third common source, but the similarities are substantial never the less.  The order is also the same.

From your hub:

Cliched as it may sound, the wand is one of the most popular magical tools in Wicca, as well as in some ceremonial magic traditions. It has a number of magical purposes. A wand is used for the directing of energy during a ritual. Because it's a phallic symbol it is used to represent male energy, power, and virility. Representative of the element of Air (although in a few traditions it symbolizes Fire), the wand can be used to consecrate a sacred space, or invoke deity

From: http://paganwiccan.about.com/od/wiccaan … _Tools.htm

As cliched as it may sound, the wand is one of the most popular magickal tools in Wicca.  It has a number of magickal purposes, including: directing energy during a ritual, consecrating a sacred place, and invoking a deity. The wand represents the element of air and, because it is a phallic symbol, also represents male energy, power, and virility.

and it continues...

1. blondepoet profile image67
                  blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LMAO

2. Misha profile image63
            Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Amnesia probably lol

1. blondepoet profile image67
              blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

smile

roll

2. Misha profile image63

Since nobody can see your hub except for HP staff, your best bet is to work with them. Mikel did and things got solved for him. smile

3. Cagsil profile image69

Actually, it sounds like you work for one place and you write here. However, HubPages only allows "Original" content. It cannot be duplicated somewhere else on the Internet.

If so, then the Hub won't be allowed to publish.

If you are not commercializing your hubs, then you must stipulate that, by the settings in the large box, located inside the Hub, at the top.

There is a setting that has to be changed to non-commercial hubs. It means that you are not making money from the Hub yourself.

If this isn't either of the cases, then I'm absolutely lost something in translation? lol lol

But, with me, that wouldn't be a big surprise. smile tongue big_smile

4. moanalisa profile image61
      moanalisaposted 14 years ago

Then I'd recommend reviewing carefully the TOS here and then if that isn't clear, contact the staff and ask why your hub was denied publication.

I was careful to review the Terms of Service, FAQ's, etc. before I even began writing the article. I also asked a question in the forums concerning coupon codes and was given the go ahead.

I am beginning to think that HP just isn't for me. sad

5. profile image0
      lynnechandlerposted 14 years ago

You need a blog my dear. A separate entity from hubpages. Once you have created said blog then post the link in your profile page.

HubPages is for making money from adsense, ebay, kontera, amazon and the like and they like to have people stick around not be directed out of the site.

You can sell here but it really has to be in a discreet way. Not a blatant advertisement for this other site. (I didn't see the article in question just guessing here).

Just a word of warning: don't put all your eggs in one basket. Diversify and learn to use the tools here to get some money building up from these affiliates as well as the one you are trying to promote.

6. blondepoet profile image67
      blondepoetposted 14 years ago

Just by signing up to Adsense, I have sold no Amazon products I am making money, I just had another cheque sent out to me. Here in Australia we have to make 150 before cheques are sent out.
      So yes Hubpages does make money for us and I only have 30+ hubs.
      Plus this is the only website I have so I think Hubpages is A1

7. Cagsil profile image69

Thank you PaulDeeds. Much appreciated. I was at my wits end. smile

8. Mamelody profile image60
      Mamelodyposted 14 years ago

I have the same problem with you hun. I don't usually put any links to my hubs but when I just put one it flags me for copied content. Sometimes I get so annoyed as I work so hard on my hubs, I never copy anybody's work and it still says duplicate content. Maybe for some people they make tons of money here but so far it's not making me much.

Best to start your blog and promote your coupons there

1. Misha profile image63
        1. profile image0
          TheVerbalAxiomposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Lmao

Exposed!

2. wyanjen profile image70
          wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yikes!

1. profile image0
            lynnechandlerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ditto!

9. Ivorwen profile image66
      Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

Writing original content is not that difficult.  I just wrote four articles on one subject, and placed them different places online, as part of an experiment.  The information is also available by many others, yet none of my articles are in any way considered duplicate content (at least not that I am aware of).  With a bit of thinking, I could probably write two or three more on the same subject, with out duplicating myself or anyone else. 

Just stop and think of an original way to say things.  It is not difficult, unless you really do not understand the information yourself.  If you have a firm grasp of what you are writing about, you should be able to come up with 3-5 ways to word each paragraph.  Give it a try.  Let your creativity and voice flow.  You can do it.

10. Alessia Amnesia profile image59

I'm sorry, Misha, what exactly do you think you're exposing? Do you really think I would be so stupid as to make a big fuss about this in a public forum if I had copied someone else's work?

I have no need to copy someone else's work as I have words and a mind of my own. Thank you very much.

I will admit that the writing in the article HP staff is referring to is quite similar to my writing style. However, it is by no means a duplicate work. My article was much more detailed and all of my research came from books and life experience, not internet articles.

I suppose I will reword a few capsules and add even MORE detail, which will most likely take a few days so I can try, yet again, to publish this hub.

1. Misha profile image63

I know Paul for more than two years, and during this time he never lied. I know you for less than a month, and during this time you already tried to trick others on the neighbor thread. http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/34085#post755310 Whom I am going to believe, go figure. smile

11. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 14 years ago

Alessia,

If your intent here is to promote a sole website, then no, you can't earn here as that's not the point of HubPages.

In the month you've been here, have you ever read the FAQ?  It explains clearly what sort of content and linking practices are allowed and which are not.

http://hubpages.com/faq/

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)