jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (10 posts)

I need link exchange

1. englightenedsoul profile image61
    englightenedsoulposted 6 years ago

Your page will rank high if there is a one way link coming from a high PR site!!You are talking of reciprocal link and I think they are not as effective as one way link in the eyes of google.

1. Pcunix profile image90
      Pcunixposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It's not that reciprocal links are "not as effective as one way link in the eyes of google".

This is a complicated subject and people get confused. 

What Google doesn't want is collusion - I'll link to you if you link to me.  That;s because a link is supposed to be a vote of confidence - "Hey, here's something good you might like!".  If it's just a trade, the vote is counterfeit - it doesn't tell Google anything useful.

However, trades can happen for good reason.  If I like something you did and you like something of mine, we could have reciprocal links without collusion.

So how does Google tell the difference?  They can't, really, so they have to look at it statistically.  That is, if they see that a lot of the people you link to are also linking back to you, maybe you were swapping links so they should not consider those links as valuable.  How many is too many? Only Google knows.

So, because of this, some SEO people recommend strategies to hide what you are doing from Google.  Let's say Sam has two sites - SamA and SamB.  You have two sites also, YourA and YourB.  You link from from YourA to SamA, but Sam links back to  YourA from SamB - the link trading is hidden from Google.  That's obviously dishonest in Google's eyes- you are both very definitely setting out to try to fool Google into thinking your links are natural and should be counted as such.  Detecting this kind of deceit is much more difficult for Google.

Those who unabashedly recommend this and other games to manipulate SEO will tell you that it's just a game - that there is nothing wrong with fooling search engines with fake links.  From a strict legal point of view, they are absolutely correct.  From a moral point of view, they are on less firm footing.  if you Google for "SEO Code of Ethics", you'll find that many professional firms eschew such tactics quite definitely and do not engage in these schemes.

But you WILL find people suggesting such here.  My personal belief is that honesty is the proper course.

2. sunforged profile image67
    sunforgedposted 6 years ago

The OP didnt set rules for exchange...private link exchanges are one of the best tools for webmasters to use !

But as the second poster points out...dont do reciprocal links, exchange links with people who have multiple properties.

3. dawnM profile image80
    dawnMposted 5 years ago

Hi Pcunix I will exchange a link with you.

1. LindaJM profile image82
      LindaJMposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Looks like he wouldn't want to.

1. Pcunix profile image90
        Pcunixposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Correct.  I get link requests frequently at my main site and it is rare that they even get the courtesy of a reply.  I have a hub here that explains how the few that do get my attention do it, but that definitely doesn't include offering an exchange.

Basically, it comes down to this.  If you have something you think I should link to, tell me what it is and what page of mine you think the link should be from.  If I agree that your link adds value to my page, I'll add it.  I don't want or need any reciprocal link.  I add links for their value to my readers and for no other reason.

Years ago, before Google, we were much looser about linking because sharing page finds was more useful to readers.  We had link pages and blogrolls and all that.  But today, there is no need for those links, so I am much fussier about what I will link to.