jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (10 posts)

I have a question about articles

1. Dorsi profile image90
    Dorsiposted 8 years ago

Hello, my name is Dorsi and I'm a newbie here. I have wrote some articles for other sites and submitted them, under no contract. Can I also post them here and if so, are those now considered "published" already since I've already posted them somewhere else?
    What I am trying to do is centralize my writing, and figure out the best way to go about marketing myself right now. Although the internet is not a new vehicle for me, I am used to print and paper so any help would be appreciated.

1. Maddie Ruud profile image82
      Maddie Ruudposted 8 years ago in reply to this

HubPages does frown upon what is known as "duplicate content," or content that is reprinted somewhere else on the web.  However, if you can delete them from the other sites you've published on and republish here, that ought to be fine.  Since you mention you're wanting to "centralize" your writing, and since HP has such high authority in Google rankings, that's probably what I would advise you to do.

Welcome to HP!!!

1. makemoneyonline profile image59
        makemoneyonlineposted 8 years ago in reply to this

The duplicate content is a penalty for Google also. Maybe she can rewrite the articles with other words.

2. Write On! profile image88
    Write On!posted 8 years ago

Hi Dorsi -

I look forward to reading your Hubs.  Welcome to HP.

Write On!

3. Dorsi profile image90
    Dorsiposted 8 years ago

What about blogs from Yuwie and MySpace too? I have a new column and a couple chapters from my book that I would like to bring over here and work on them. But I also have people that have read them at my other sites, but since those are social network sites does the duplicate rule still apply?

4. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 8 years ago

The HubPages algorithm is going to penalize for duplicate content regardless of where it finds it.  This site was built to favor original content and that's the most straight-forward way of putting it.

5. stormyweather profile image86
    stormyweatherposted 8 years ago

Hi Dorsi

It is generally bad practice to submit duplicate content on the net, full-stop.  Hubpages won't like it as has already been mentioned, but if you care about Google and other search engines, they too won't list duplicate content which means you get less traffic to your pages. 

Your earlier articles, presumably having been on the internet for longer, have already been indexed by Google and Yahoo and others.  (You can verify this by reading hubs I've written on the topic if you like).

That means if you post again on hubpages, the search engines will ignore the later postings of duplicate content so wherever you post duplicate stuff, it doesn't tend to do you any favours anyway.

This is why its not too bad when someone dishonest copies your articles - if you have yours listed in the search engines, they probably won't ever get them listed for the reasons stated above.

6. Dorsi profile image90
    Dorsiposted 8 years ago

Ok well those are great things to know- I want to do the right thing so I will make sure that I do "centralize" my writing, maybe use one site for journaling, and this one for my articles and book,
    I am new at this- the internet marketing of writing- so I'm learning.
    So thanks. I appreciate the help!

7. Inspirepub profile image90
    Inspirepubposted 8 years ago

You can always pull in an RSS feed of your other stuff ...

8. Dorsi profile image90
    Dorsiposted 8 years ago

Thanks everyone for the information and advice. I am working on editing my other sites so I can work on my wirting here, and maybe do some RSS feeds, of other sites I am active at.
    I'm an artist too so the other sites work well for my layouts and photography, but this is a great place for writing ( and hopefully to make some money at it!!)
    There is SO much to learn!!!
    I can wield a mean pen and and a mean brush, but this internet maze can be exhausting!!