jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (4 posts)

Dashes, Underscore, or Does It Matter?

1. Whitney05 profile image67
    Whitney05posted 6 years ago

When setting up a URL, does it matter if you use dashes, underscores, or just one big word?

1. waynet profile image48
      waynetposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I reckon it's best to use both, from an seo standpoint as it just makes sense to as well the only reason I'm basing this decision on is that wikipedia use underscores and a few other high ranking sites do this too while others just use dashes, but then again if you do some research online, there is evidence to support that using both can work quite well.

Edit: especially as Google is constantly changing it's algorythm, I just wonder if they have swung both ways lol!

2. Misha profile image75
    Mishaposted 6 years ago

I remember reading a report somewhere that showed underscores being interpreted differently from a regular phrase with spaces by search engines. Things may change since, but I still prefer either one big word or dashes, they were interpreted the same way. smile

1. bigmikeh profile image79
      bigmikehposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Agreed Misha. There is a Matt Cutts video on YouTube (and on one of my hubs) where he specifically says that underscores are not treated as word seperators by Google but hyphens (dashes) are.