If you were in charge of Hub pages what would you change?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (69 posts)
  1. Mamelody profile image60
    Mamelodyposted 14 years ago

I would wipe off especially the religion topic as I hate religion big time and wish it never existed.

I would abolish the 3day ban rule and opt for just deleting personal attack comments.

I would chose to pay members who are active participants in the forum.

I would give a bonus $1,000 prize to the top ten of my favorite hubbers smile

Yep.. y'all would love me if I signed up to rule this joint lol

1. tantrum profile image60
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

OH No !!
      What about me ??
      I'm sure you'll never pay me anything !
      I'm so happy you're not one of the staff !
      lol

Mamelodyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah am happy too i ain't one of the staff.. i would torment you so bad the leapard skin will peel off lol

2. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

the only thing i would do differently is have the site be completely transparent, including revealing the names and IP addresses of people who rate down hubs or flag hubs or forum posts.

1. profile image0
        EmpressFelicityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Not sure this would be a good thing - it might well create a culture of "tit-for-tat", and hence result in more work for forum moderators.

What would I change if I were in charge of HP?

1. Make the table capsule better.  Sorry, but it's terrible!  I had to do most of the tables for my hubs in Word or Publisher, and then scan them and upload them as pictures.  Fiddly as this was, it was still easier than using the HP table capsule.

2. Speaking of scanned pics, why do they so often come out blurry when uploaded into a hub? 

3. Make the the number and identity of people's followers private (i.e. not visible to anyone except HP staff and the hubber whose followers they are).  Or at least have this as an option.

4. Allow you to delete serial followers/"spollowers" from your list of followers.

5. Agree with Kirsten's idea of having more affiliate capsules.

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
        Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Cosette, how many times do people have to explain:

- One Hubber rating down a Hub makes very little difference to its score - and that's the ONLY effect it has.  You're only in trouble if lots of different Hubbers rate you down, and that's only going to happen if your Hub is cr@p.

- If a Hubber flags a Hub, all it does is bring it to the attention of the Hubteam.  Only the Hubteam can decide if the Hub breaks their TOS or not, and that's the only reason they would unpublish.

3. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't think it's right to pick on any topic, but I wonder why we need "topic" forums at all.

Wouldn't work. Before the bans, people would just start another thread and continue the fight.  And another. And another. 

No, no, no, no.  This is not a social networking site, it's a place to write informative articles.  Anyway, the forums don't earn any money for HubPages so how could they pay us?

Nope, because that $10,000 would reduce everyone else's earnings.

1. profile image0
        EmpressFelicityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I used to think the same, until I joined HP.  Now I'm quite grateful that religion is "quarantined" from everything else...

2. Mamelody profile image60
    4. bojanglesk8 profile image61
      bojanglesk8posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nothing, really.
      HP is near perfect.

2. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Oh really?

So, you are a person who would crush free speech?

The 3 day ban rule....purpose is befitted those who personally attack others for their own selfish reasons. This or deleting the personal attack, would be void of responsibility?

And, you seem to think that is better? roll

As for your favorite hubbers who participate in the forum, would be subjective to your interpretation instead of based on objective understanding? Favoritism?

Hmm....I guess I'm glad you don't run HubPages. lol lol

As for myself, I wouldn't want the job. I enjoy what I am doing presently and HubPages couldn't pay me enough, even if I owned it, to change what I'm doing. smile

But, interesting topic. smile

Btwn you and me I would make a shitty moderator.. I'd have too much power and you know power corrupts!

I'm not against free speech.. I just hate religion and usually people talk rubbish in religious affairs.

2. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have to agree with Cags there is absolutely nothing to change and I wouldn't want the job either. The team is doing a fantastic job and when it first began they did not have to monitor the threads, we were all adults in the past 6 months something had to be implemented it became out of control so I commend them for initiating the 3 day ban. Paul Deeds even banned his own father Ralph Deeds so there is not a single person who is better then another as you can see they do not play favoritism. smile

As for the religious threads avoid them if you do not care for them and find another thread of interest ,everyone is entitled to express themselves. smile

3. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

I don't mind the religious and political forums. If I don't think I can handle the comments posted on one I just don't look, or look but don't touch if I think it will entertain wink

The only thing I would change is that I would love to see more affiliate programs in capsules. Amazon is great but I am not good enough yet for the ebay program as they have higher standards for the volume and quality of traffic you will attract. I would think another affiliate program like amazon would be lots of fun smile.

The idea of sharing ad space with active forum users is interesting but where would all those new ads go? I would think the forums would become cluttered with ads and I kinda like it the way it is now. I don't want to horn in on the sites ads as I love the model of this site and think its pretty sweet, they deserve their share of ads big_smile
    If it could be done tastefully then that would be cool cool

That's actually a good idea adding more affiliate programs.. ebay have such a strict criteria to join which puts off most people. I never thought of that.

4. Ultimate Hubber profile image72
    Ultimate Hubberposted 14 years ago

Interesting topic!

Let me think what will I change, Rite now I am quite satisfied with this website.

5. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

I would not change a thing. Not my place to, but I kind of like it the way it is. Not! I love it the way it is.

1. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ditto!

And those who want something different are free to build one of their own smile

6. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

I think things are fine just the way they are.

The 3-day ban serves an important cooling off period for people who get too wrapped up in the forums and lose control.

I couldn't imagine what the forums would be like if people got paid to be here. Are there actually forums who do this?

1. Misha profile image63

LOL Nelle, did you ever tried to start a forum? You either have family/friends to post there, or pay other people, or both. Nobody wants to join a dead forum, ya know. smile

1. profile image0
        Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Misha I've told you before - this is the FIRST AND ONLY forum that I've ever belonged too. Before HP, I sat on my couch and worked in splendid isolation.

1. profile image0
          Crazdwriterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sorry to have ruined your "splendid isolation" Nelle. HE HE HE HE

2. Misha profile image63

Sorry Nelle, somehow I missed it. Nothing personal, my wife always complains that I forget everything. Wonder what she is talking about? lol

Seriously, there are quite a few forums that pay some of their posters, at least for some time after the start. smile

You have a wife?? damn it just when I included you in my list of people to spank! lol

1. Misha profile image63

Actually I have two tongue

do they both know they're sharing one man? wink

1. Misha profile image63

They are not sharing, they are former and later LOL

wow talk about having your cake and eating it as well.. tut tut tongue

7. goldenpath profile image67
    goldenpathposted 14 years ago

Color. smile  I'd like more color than black and white.  The green reminds me of my military service.

8. Has_aWayWithWords profile image62
    Has_aWayWithWordsposted 14 years ago

I agree with adding some color, I would like to see limited HTML options so we could use some different affiliates related to specific products or information. As a whole the site is fine just minor tweaks and I would have no desire to run it...lol too much like babysitting for me, my kids are old enough to know how to behave, too bad some people online aren't  lol lol lol

You look to young to be a parent.. did you like bath in the blood of virgins to keep the youth lol

1. Has_aWayWithWords profile image62
        Has_aWayWithWordsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am almost 34 years old and my oldest daughter is 15..thanks for the compliment tho  big_smile

well you're a yummy 34 year old! wink (am I allowed to say yummy here?)

9. tantrum profile image60
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

lol
    Imagine what I would do to you, if I was on the staff !!!
    I will pour all the Karma over you !
    lol

fine by me.. as long as I get a healthy spanking smile lol

lol
        not by me !

do leopards spank or bite? last i checked they bloody biters! lol

Oh, we bite alright. But I'll use it as a last resort.  I don't bite women. Or maybe you're a man ? hmm

hang on a sec let me check that..

1. AEvans profile image71
                AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Tantrum, She is a woman check her profile smile

when I first came here my profile was that of a man, remember ? lol I still use the e-mail with a guy's name
                  lol
                  which makes a lot of people wonder big_smile

Oh dear am scared now.. first you're leopard with human tits and now you have guy parts.. hhhheeeelllppp! lol

2. Mamelody profile image60

let's see.. no balls, no broad chest.. nop am all 100% female! lol

10. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I like the idea of adding more colors. smile and I would change the fact that if I was in charge I would chat in here more not just adding forums for updates. big_smile

Girl, as far i've seen so far you're the chief chatter in here.. its your fault I can't seem to escape from this place! lol

1. profile image0

lol HEY you can't blame me for that. not my fault you can't log off and walk away lol

hell yeah its your fault.. if you wasn't a nice person I would have run outta here ages ago! wink

11. profile image0

dang it! Why do I have to be so d@mn nice? lol I must be more EVIL!!!!

oh I've tried being evil.. doesn't suit me at all... should practice more smile

1. profile image0

hehehe I can be evil or I can be...hmmm...so weird I scare ppl taht way big_smile

12. Has_aWayWithWords profile image62

crazd you don't scare me...lol

1. profile image0

omg that is the cutest baby! almost as cute as that one in MarineAlways' avatar! smile

makes me want to have another one.

1. Has_aWayWithWords profile image62
        Has_aWayWithWordsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is my little angel, she is almost 2 years old now but that pic was taken around the last time I saw her and was able to hold her.  She is friggin adorable huh...lol too bad she got my big a$$ ears  lol

1. profile image0

she is darling! smile

13. profile image0

hehehe you don't know me well enough yet Has! MWHAHAHAHA! cute new pic by the way. she looks sooooo sweet :0

14. Aya Katz profile image85
    Aya Katzposted 14 years ago

How many people are still paid to post articles on Hubpages, I wonder!

I've been paid to post on forums.. there's a site called my lot that does that.

15. Has_aWayWithWords profile image62

lol, if I was in charge of hubpages we would have a cutest baby contest and she would win...lol  there now we are back on topic.

aww she is the cutes little cuddle baby.. well thank goodness her daddy is cute wink

16. Aya Katz profile image85
    Aya Katzposted 14 years ago

Misha, how many hubbers are paid by the Hub, like Hal?

17. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

IDK Aya, I think this is kinda confidential information. I know a couple who at least were paid, I personally never been paid. smile

18. Has_aWayWithWords profile image62

Having topics generally allows us to pick and choose what we view which is good. It also points a giant arrow to a fight for anyone looking for one. For example if you are not religious and someone posts in the religious forum why even go argue with them. because you saw a big arrow pointing to the religious forum and a sign that says this looks like a great place to fight... lol

19. lakeerieartists profile image65
    lakeerieartistsposted 14 years ago

I have to say that I am pretty darn happy with HP the way that it is.  If you don't like a forum subject, then just ignore it.  smile

20. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

Nothing at the moment, maybe increase the elements within a hub, for more creative choices.
    Love HP big_smile

21. tony0724 profile image59
    tony0724posted 14 years ago

I would rate all my hubs at 100 !

1. profile image0
      lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol lol lol

22. Sab Oh profile image55
    Sab Ohposted 14 years ago

I would probably change my socks. These ones are getting a bit ripe!

23. rmshdc profile image56
    rmshdcposted 14 years ago

would award ca$h bonu$e$ on reaching certain milestones!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)