jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)

Site Map, table of contents...which is better?

1. Michael Willis profile image78
    Michael Willisposted 6 years ago

I have read that site maps are great for web site to help with search engine crawlers. Can we list a site map on our hubs at HP through the link capsule since are hubs are not more than one page? Can we do this and place a link to the header within that page?
    Or would it just be better to take a Text capsule and list a table of contents?

Asking for advice here from you guys who are knowledgeable on this.

2. johnr54 profile image68
    johnr54posted 6 years ago

Since a sitemap is exactly that, a map of the site, not your pages, you have no control over that.  If you want, you can list your pages on your profile page, but since your newest hubs are already listed there, not much point of doing that either.

What problem are you trying to solve?  Do you have hubs that aren't in the index?  That's never been an issue for me.

Michael Willisposted 6 years ago in reply to this

What I am trying to do is show the Items/info of the hub in a capsule at the top of the page area. This way readers know what is in the hub. Since hubs are only 1 page, the reader can see that further down may be the exact info they are looking for.

Ex.---I have an unpublished hub I am working on about the Superbowl. I have the intro paragraph to start with. Then Teams headers (2) and further down there is the match-ups, predictions, etc.  If someone enters the hub, I would like for them to find these headers by the contents listed near the top.  Say a person is mainly interested in the prediction...they click on a link in a site map or use a contents capsule to know to scroll down. 
      Thing is, is this the proper way to use a site map if you are using Hubpages?

1. Jeffrey Neal profile image89
        Jeffrey Nealposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Sitemaps like the ones you have probably read about cannot be used here.  They usually contain XML, a markup language, and are stored on the server your site is hosted on.  It is not possible to have a "sitemap," such as the kind that helps search engines index the pages of your site, here at HubPages.

The table of contents should be fine and help the visitors to your hub, and there may be some SEO benefit as well. This is not the same as a sitemap, though.

Ok thanks. I don't want to make a capsule and link the subject headers of the page and then call it "Site map" if it is Not a site map. I was asking so I would make the capsule properly. Guess just using "contents" or "table of contents" was be sufficient.

3. 0
    cosetteposted 6 years ago

good question Mikey...

4. 1974 profile image61
    1974posted 6 years ago

What you are trying to do is not referred to as a site map.

If I understand correctly, you are wanting to put a link near the top of the page, when clicked, will bring the user further down the same page.  If so, all you need to use is HTML but I am not sure if this works on Hubpages (never tried it here).

For an example, you can go here to see a sample code:
    http://www.w3schools.com/html/tryit.asp … _locations

Look in the first paragraph tag and then the H@ tag for chapter four.  You basically name a spot on the page, then link to that spot.

1. 1974 profile image61
      1974posted 6 years ago in reply to this

that is supposed to be H2, not H@

HP doesn't allow us to use HTML, but there is a way to do this. I can use the text or link  capsule and type a word, highlight and insert link in the word/phrase and take the reader to the capsule title.
        I appreciate the information about Site Maps. I see I need to use a different name for this capsule other than site map.

5. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 6 years ago

Michael, what you are after is a table of contents and I have several Hubs where I used a link capsule to build exactly that.