Only mugs write...only fools read...

1. The Bard profile image77
    The Bardposted 6 years ago

It turns out that the internet is the greatest technological revolution since the Industrial one 200 years ago when steam power began.

Of course, the industrial revolution was about manufacturing and production on a massive scale, and although people worked for peanuts, they actually were paid.

The internet phenomena (as observed in a new BBC documentary) is notable for people who work for nothing. They spend huge amounts of time attempting to earn, through various outlets, and are lucky to earn enough for a pint of Guinness once a month - yet they persist in the dream that eventually they may be able to afford a crate!

It doesnt matter whether it's a pint, or a quart, but somewhere down the line it encourages people to have visions of grandeur, and has empowered everyone to be important.

Sadly, people are not that important, as much as they would like to think they are. Social networking sites thrive on those who desire attention and friendship, regardless of how remote they may be. The delusion that what we write will earn us money is a myth, and sites like Hubpages, Squidoo, Helium Qondio etc etc encourage this and successfully exploit the myth.

Look! If you were that gifted you wouldn't be spending all your time chasing the dream by creating wads of useless information hoping that the masses are hung on your every word.

You may be proud that you have been published, but there is no pride in that if you rely on google adsense or amazon or ebay for recognition. Or perhaps you think that without you and the other millions akin, they wouldn't survive.

Debate dear chaps - I'm just a messenger!

2. thisisoli profile image73
    thisisoliposted 6 years ago

My dad saw that documentary and instantly rang me worried that I was throwing my life away, I had to remind him that I consistantly earn more than him.